LinkedIn Connections

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you accept connection requests from people you've never met or worked with?

• Yes

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • It depends; are they hot?

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters
I've actually been getting a lot of invites from coworkers, and ex coworkers. I think that's due to the uncertainty of jobs right now...people wanting to stay connected.

I never did get a response from the EB group(?) on LinkedIn.

I'm on Linkedin, but I don't know why.  Its never done one thing for me and don't see how it could.

The only thing it's done for me is getting me a bunch of calls from recruiters.

Are you interested in a new position?  No

So you don't want more responsibility?  No

How about more money?  No

Gets pissy and hangs up

I did get a couple reasonable offers through recruiters off of LinkedIn.  For the most part, I tell them they're about $50K shy of even bothering talking.  Most of them sigh and admit they know the numbers are way too low based on what the average pay is for the discipline and the scarce availability of applicants.  

It was instrumental in helping me find employment at least three times that I can remember.  I guess it depends on your connections.

I've secured my last (2) employment positions through LinkedIn.  It's a great networking tool but I agree, lately it's become overwhelmingly spamtastic.

Anytime a company goes public, services suffer. Especially in the tech world.

Thankfully, I haven't needed to look for a job in 15 years or so, so there's not alot it can do for me.

To each there own.  I wouldn't be content staying in any one place for that long.  Got some good career advice a while ago that said to really increase your salary more over just the merit level, you really have to look at changing employers around the 5 or 6 year mark.  And that has worked quite well for me.  But then again, $$ isn't everything if you really enjoy what you do and/or the people you work with.

Last edited by a moderator:
^That may be true some places, but at my company they're now giving out 9% pay raises for each promotion, and new engineers can expect about 5 promotions in their first 10 years.

I'd ask if you guys were hiring, but that would involve relocation to Michigan.  I'd rather be poor.  

I think my situation is a little unusual.  I started at a 2 man firm as the draftsman in 2001.  I worked here throughout school and my intern years to become a partner several years ago.  We just joined with another firm to open a new office in a town about 30 min from my house.  I have an office in each bldg and things are going pretty freakin awesome.  I do enjoy what I do (HVAC/plumbing/sprinkler design), am paid well for it and am glad I don't have to hop from job to job.  I'm not sure my psyche could handle it.

Looks like my D in Circuits is finally paying off! Thanks, LinkedIn! 

For the record, I have NOTHING electrical listed on my account. Candidate search fail. 

Hi csb, 

Are you looking for the chance to see your work make an impact? Do you want to collaborate with some of the most accomplished thought leaders in the industry?

Your electrical power skills and experience stood out on my last candidate search. You are the kind of individual who has the potential to excel here and put your stamp on the future of power technology. You’ll map out a personalized career path within a global leader in energy management that will help take your career where you want to go.

Our power system engineers are serious professionals who help ensure safe, reliable, and continuous power. We’re looking for engineers who are motivated and passionate about power system design, upgrades, and safety.

Are you ready to make a difference? Are you ready to push your career to the next level?

I've received a few messages regarding mechanical engineering positions.  If I have the time, I try to respond asking for additional clarification on how the recruiter(s) consider me to be qualified for mechanical engineering based on my resume.  LOL

I've received a few messages regarding mechanical engineering positions.  If I have the time, I try to respond asking for additional clarification on how the recruiter(s) consider me to be qualified for mechanical engineering based on my resume.  LOL
Yeah, something is amiss in the recruiting world because I get a lot of electrical hits.

Back