Lindberg Practice Problems for the Civil PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CivilGuy00

Reaction score
I know this is an age old question probably answered a million times before but should I add the Lindberg practice problems to my exam prep? I have taken the PE twice (WRE) and scored about the same both times. I have always thought these Lindberg questions were not representative of the actual exam problems therefore, would be a waste of time. What are people's thoughts on this? I have done probably over 300 problems multiple times through and need to switch up my approach.

I am also starting to compile a cross reference list of all the practice problems to use during the exam. Has anyone found this helpful? 

The problems were longer and more difficult (and not multiple choice), but I found them very useful. I think most resources - Lindeburg not excluded - come off as more difficult and not as relevant at times. Lindeburg flat out admits he is teaching what he thinks should be required of a professional engineer, not NCEES or the State Boards. But he also provides guidance for what an NCEES review course would cover, and as I went through the book I cut down or expanded as I thought necessary for the exam and my needs.

Perhaps more important is your statement of relying on practice problems for the exam itself. You need to actually know how to run the problems ahead of time and leave minimal time to reference problems (unless one is an exact match or details a "trick" that you need to use). If you don't know what you're doing without having to reference old problems, I don't think you necessarily know the material well enough to pass.

You absolutely 100% should study the CERM and the Lindeburg practice problems. Yes, some questions are a bit more difficult than what you see on the exam, but it is well worth it because you're just that much more prepared. I passed the WRE this time and the CERM and Practice Problems book were definitely the most helpful.

The problems were longer and more difficult (and not multiple choice), but I found them very useful. I think most resources - Lindeburg not excluded - come off as more difficult and not as relevant at times. Lindeburg flat out admits he is teaching what he thinks should be required of a professional engineer, not NCEES or the State Boards. But he also provides guidance for what an NCEES review course would cover, and as I went through the book I cut down or expanded as I thought necessary for the exam and my needs.

Perhaps more important is your statement of relying on practice problems for the exam itself. You need to actually know how to run the problems ahead of time and leave minimal time to reference problems (unless one is an exact match or details a "trick" that you need to use). If you don't know what you're doing without having to reference old problems, I don't think you necessarily know the material well enough to pass.
Sorry I guess I didn't really explain everything. So my first two times, I looked at my practice problems maybe for one problem through both exams. One, I "thought" I knew what to do on most questions and I didn't even need my practice problems as reference. Two, I didn't think any of my practice problems related to the problem I needed guidance on. So I am kind of at a cross roads. I feel that I know the material through the many problems I have done but apparently something is missing. So my thought was to compile all my practice problems into an organized reference for those few curve-ball problems that I will encounter. But I am wondering if even compiling this list will help me because I may not even look at it! 

I just know something has to change. My last resort is taking a prep class. I have heard the reference binders are worth the money alone. 

I follow you now. I personally wouldn't see that compilation as worth my time, but would treat it as a reference if I did (i.e., prepare and tab it like your other resources and use it while studying).

For myself, I started about 3 months out with the CERM, and started taking it more seriously about 2-2.5 out. I read through relevant CERM chapters, worked 95% of the example problems within the chapters, worked similar percentage (if not more) in the practice problems book, and took the NCEES practice exam and 2 other practice exams the 2 weekends prior. I took the day before the test completely off from work and studying; got my resources together in the morning and went and hung out with my friend.

Loved my approach - may have been overkill, but really felt like the test was pretty easy with knowing the CERM well.

One, I "thought" I knew what to do on most questions and I didn't even need my practice problems as reference. Two, I didn't think any of my practice problems related to the problem I needed guidance on
The CERM and Lindeburg practice problems cover almost all of the Breadth and WRE Depth. It's also really well organized with easy to use values and tables in the appendix. Remember, you have 4 hours to answer 40 questions, so it's best to double check and triple check everything. If you really know these books well, you shouldn't have to spend so much time to finding the relevant parts. 

I started with the lindenburg practice problem book (the separate thing that is also huge). It was so frustrating to me to solve problems about blimps in equilibrium with the number of conversions occurring and especially because, after 7 years, I was super rusty. I think there are some valuable problems in there, I'm certain of it. I just never used it after that first week of frustration. 

I will say from the transportation end, there are some really great sample problems in CERM itself I referenced a few times. I relied more on my School of PE problems, CERM, and the sample exams I took. 

The CERM and Lindeburg practice problems cover almost all of the Breadth and WRE Depth. It's also really well organized with easy to use values and tables in the appendix. Remember, you have 4 hours to answer 40 questions, so it's best to double check and triple check everything. If you really know these books well, you shouldn't have to spend so much time to finding the relevant parts. 
Nail on head for WRE. I used a well organized CERM exclusively for the exam, and only had brought the practice problem book and one additional reference and used neither.

Back