Let the Waite Begin, How did everyone do?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
two to three questions for special applications (Illum, demand, reliability, etc) were totally off the base (atleast for me).
yeah..similar probllems also got the best of me I think

Last edited by a moderator:
I took PE Electric - Power.

The morning went really well, possibly over 35/40. The afternoon was a different animal I'm guessing i probaly got somewhere in the 70% range. Had to really work at a lot of the "knowledge" questions (ones requiring no calculations, just relationships between things). I felt the calculation questions were written in more heavy test speak where you had to really sort out what they were trying to ask you. But by the end I had worked over most problems a few times so I felt better than I did for the first two. Generally felt like I spent the afternoon with a fog hanging around my head.

I do feel like all the time I spent prepping to find things quickly in the NEC & NESC paid off. The Complex Imag. code drill book was useful as well as the sample exams for that. Left me a lot of time to work out the longer calculation questions. My illumination references were insufficent though.

I took the Wildi machines book in mostly because everyone here seems to love it. It paid off, got at least two questions only because I had that book.

If I end up needing to take it again I'll bring an engineering dictionary with me and add some sections to my binder with high-level relationship references to help with those knowledge questions.

I took PE Electric - Power.

The morning went really well, possibly over 35/40. The afternoon was a different animal I'm guessing i probaly got somewhere in the 70% range. Had to really work at a lot of the "knowledge" questions (ones requiring no calculations, just relationships between things). I felt the calculation questions were written in more heavy test speak where you had to really sort out what they were trying to ask you. But by the end I had worked over most problems a few times so I felt better than I did for the first two. Generally felt like I spent the afternoon with a fog hanging around my head.

I do feel like all the time I spent prepping to find things quickly in the NEC & NESC paid off. The Complex Imag. code drill book was useful as well as the sample exams for that. Left me a lot of time to work out the longer calculation questions. My illumination references were insufficent though.

I took the Wildi machines book in mostly because everyone here seems to love it. It paid off, got at least two questions only because I had that book.

If I end up needing to take it again I'll bring an engineering dictionary with me and add some sections to my binder with high-level relationship references to help with those knowledge questions.
i FEEL LIKE i CAN POSSIBLY GET UP TO 30/40 IN MORNING, I WISH MY FEELING WERE THAT I GOT 35/40...IN THE MORNING I THINK IT CAN BE ANYWHERE FROM 20-25...ENOUGH? TIME WILL TELL...IF YOUR THAT SURE pbo064, AND YOUR CORRECT, IM SURE YOU WILL PASS, GLUCK

I agree that Wildi was a great book to have, also Power Systems Analysis, I was able to hunt down a couple answers straight out of the text from it.

i HAD THE WILDI AND GRAINGER POWER ANALYSIS, i DIDNT EVEN TAKE THEM WITH ME, MY SUITCASE WAS ALREADY STUFFED

JUST TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW, YOU MAY WANT TO BE CAREFUL ON SPECIFICS YOU GIVE ABOUT EXAM ?'S B/C OF THE AGREEMENT WE SIGNED...i WOULDNT DISCUSS ANY DETAILS ABOUT ?'S...JUST A HEADS UP

Good point Redskins, the NCEES monitors these boards quite frequently and I wouldn't want to have my passing results invalidated or worse by slipping a little on "loose" conversation about exam problems

NP guys....so I guess results iwll be in about 10 weeks...Im going to try not think about it to much, but that may be hard to do

I, too felt that the afternoon of the Power Exam was one curve ball after another. Many questions were really foreign to me, but I felt like i was able to plug and chug my way through the majority once I just started using my formulas with the variables that were given. I initially skipped about 10 of the curve balls in the interest of time, but for both morning and afternoon, I had plenty of time to work them out later as well as re-checking my previous answers.

The NESC was also a late addition to my reference material, and it provided several answers that would not otherwise have been answerable. I actually spent several minutes mistakenly searching the NEC for an answer that the question obviously stated was in the NESC. Doh!

Of the 5 practice exams I did, there were at least 20 exam questions that were in areas NOT covered by any of the prep I did. What's most frustrating for me is that it would be so great to discuss specific questions from the test just from a learning standpoint to figure out the solution method for a possible re-take in April. In any event, I am quite positivie of my weak areas.

JC you are right that it is frustating being not able to to discuss some of these questions. Firstly it would be beneficial to your professinal development as well as you are curious to see if you answered it right and if not why. I feel that in some of these policies NCEES is behind its time.

POWER - I too found the morning much easier than the afternoon. I personally expected to see more pf and fault calc questions. I did not study unsymmetrical fault analysis nearly enough. I also did not have a copy of the NESC. Fortunately, I was an electrician thru college and am very familiar with recepts. I wrote a comment to the board about a particular problem that I felt was very misleading. I so wish I could give some minor details just to get some feedback on how everyone else read the question.

After my first pass thru the morning, I easily had 20+questions answered without cracking a book. There were only two that I just had to guess on.

The afternoon was a different story. I agree they should switch the am/pm sections. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

There was one impedance problem (per unit conversion) in the afternoon that I especially struggled with (for about 1.5 hr). I could not get the correct answer, and I was kind of convinced that there may have been an error on the exam.

All of the other per unit problems didn't really give me any trouble.

Ultimakf7, I struggled with that one too and initially thought there was an error with the question. It was tricky one but ultimately it clicked and was able to get the right answer(i think).

There was one impedance problem (per unit conversion) in the afternoon that I especially struggled with (for about 1.5 hr). I could not get the correct answer, and I was kind of convinced that there may have been an error on the exam.

All of the other per unit problems didn't really give me any trouble.

Im not sure I remember that problem but I didnt have much trouble with P.U. questions either..I did have some trouble on some of the fault calculations

Just around 3 weeks away from results....Im ready to be hit with results and I really hope I never have to take it again!

Why 3 weeks? Hopefully, by next Wednesday the PE result should be released at least in TX.

I still remember for OCT 2012, PE followed FE result after 4-6 days.

I agree waiting sucks especially with the mood swings about the results.

Good luck to all :waiting:

I would say 2 weeks from today atleast in CA.

I hope i pass this time.....Afternoon portion was killer

Back