Lasik Experiences?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I had my consult. I am supposedly a good candidate, $4500ish total.

Seems a bit high, so I will think about it for a bit longer.

Well, I had my consult. I am supposedly a good candidate, $4500ish total.

Seems a bit high, so I will think about it for a bit longer.
Yikes, mine was about $1,800 if I remember right. I actually went in asking them about whatever the newest (and $$$$) laser was at the time and they told me that I didn't need it because I was just plain old nearsighted and the new laser was for complicated procedures.

Don't you have to forego contacts for two weeks before the consult and two weeks before the operation? That kills it for me (20-240 vision)

if he doesn't have a pair that could cause a problem. I know lots of contact wearers without a pr of glasses

if he doesn't have a pair that could cause a problem. I know lots of contact wearers without a pr of glasses
And from others I've heard they can get a temporary set. Since they are already spending a good chunk of $$ on the surgery itself.

Don't you have to forego contacts for two weeks before the consult and two weeks before the operation? That kills it for me (20-240 vision)
And you can't wear glasses?
Negative.
3 days before the consult, no contacts. Glasses were allowed. They do dilate you eyes which is a pain, but no big deal.

funny story afterwards: It through off my depth perception and wham, I accidentally hit a car door with mine (don't let your wife park you too close to another car). It made for an interesting meal to have some gal (that I couldn't focus on) giving me a lecture about hitting her car door. I was not happy, but it was funny I'm sure.

^Yeah i remember that too, that what ever crap they put in your eyes to do the corneal thickness measure really scrambles your vision (temporarily), even with your glasses back on.

Last edited by a moderator:
And things have a tendency to go wrong sometimes, as any good engineer should know.
Perhaps only if the methodology has not been tried and true. Which for Lasik is certainly not the case.
Really, there is 0% chance of anything ever going wrong? I find that hard to believe when they are slicing open your eye.

There's always going to be the FUD factor, I can't tell if I'm surprised that among engineering ilk it would be so vehemently clung to. :p

There's always going to be the FUD factor, I can't tell if I'm surprised that among engineering ilk it would be so vehemently clung to. :p
At least in my case, you have to remember that I'm the guy that had one of the most reliable engines in the GA fleet catastrophically fail before I reached 120 hours of flight time. I know guys with thousands of hours without a glitch. If it can go wrong, it will happen to me.

It will start just like every other book written by a pilot: "There I was......"

Any idea if they help to paralyze your eye. I know you can't blink (or shouldn't). Plus when they go in with the scalpel to cut your eye I might freak. Things near my eye always get to me. Advice?

Any idea if they help to paralyze your eye. I know you can't blink (or shouldn't). Plus when they go in with the scalpel to cut your eye I might freak. Things near my eye always get to me. Advice?
They put a suction device on your eye to hold it in place while they cut the flap. During the surgery, the laser has an optical tracking device that updates a ridiculous number of times (>1000 times per second) so that it knows exactly where your eye is before it fires a laser blast.

And things have a tendency to go wrong sometimes, as any good engineer should know.
Perhaps only if the methodology has not been tried and true. Which for Lasik is certainly not the case.
Really, there is 0% chance of anything ever going wrong? I find that hard to believe when they are slicing open your eye.
Of course there's always a chance. That wasn't my argument. You can play the "what if" game with anything. There's a 0.16% chance that a meteor will hit the earth. But with laser eye correction we are talking about a very proven science here (see post below). It's not like it's a 50/50 kind of thing. Not to mention the very thorough examinations that are conducted to see if a person is even an eligible candidate for the procedure.

They put a suction device on your eye to hold it in place while they cut the flap. During the surgery, the laser has an optical tracking device that updates a ridiculous number of times (>1000 times per second) so that it knows exactly where your eye is before it fires a laser blast.
:thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back