Lasik Experiences?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone I know personally who has had it done are all like "ooooh, it's great, you need to do this. . . "

I think they implant some sort of brainwashing device when they have your eye sliced open.

Everyone I know personally who has had it done are all like "ooooh, it's great, you need to do this. . . "

I think they implant some sort of brainwashing device when they have your eye sliced open.
I recommend it if somebody asks me if I recommend it. It does not affect me in the least if you choose not to.

So one question I have about the procedure: Heard from a guy who had it done that it speeds up macular degeneration. Something like, "If your the kind that's going to need reading glasses when your 65, having a corrective procedure done will make the reading glasses date closer to 55." Is this true?

So one question I have about the procedure: Heard from a guy who had it done that it speeds up macular degeneration. Something like, "If your the kind that's going to need reading glasses when your 65, having a corrective procedure done will make the reading glasses date closer to 55." Is this true?
I'll let you know in 23 years. Seriously, the current methods of performing the procedure aren't old enough to make those kinds of claims yet. They have only had the current generation of technology for about a decade. Plus, some people would need reading glasses at 55, some would need them at 65, and some won't need them at all. How can you make a claim that needing reading glasses at 55 is or is not due to having Lasik? Is there statistical evidence with a large enough sample size to even draw a comparison?

macular degeneration runs in the family...most of my grandma's generation (the eldest ones) and generation before that had it... my moms generation is just reaching late 50s to 60s so we shall see....we are hoping it was more from bad nutrition than genetics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think so. I know they said that if you're going to need reading glasses you're going to need them whether you get LASIK or not, but I don't think it's supposed to bring them on any faster.

I'll let you know in 23 years. Seriously, the current methods of performing the procedure aren't old enough to make those kinds of claims yet. They have only had the current generation of technology for about a decade. Plus, some people would need reading glasses at 55, some would need them at 65, and some won't need them at all. How can you make a claim that needing reading glasses at 55 is or is not due to having Lasik? Is there statistical evidence with a large enough sample size to even draw a comparison?
I don't think so. I know they said that if you're going to need reading glasses you're going to need them whether you get LASIK or not, but I don't think it's supposed to bring them on any faster.
That's what I want to know. The guy that told me was just a grunt piping super, and also had a stutter. Who knows where he got that information, or If I even heard it right.

Nope haven't heard that. I know it won't correct the possible need for reading glasses, and anyone from mid-40's on up may find increasing need for reading glasses, whether one's vision is perfect or not.

I had to go back a second time. I was legal to drive after the first time but not perfect. I came out 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other after the second procedure.

So it turned out well but not always the "no problem" deal that some try to say.

Back