Landscaping ideas for 0.5 acre grass backyard no fence

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah a photo would be help us "help you"

Ive got a total lot of .05 acre (which is like an estate in Denver burbs) ;)  But we just have grass in middle and around the edges we have a nice rock mulch with some evergreen trees and some annoying irirs's and other small plants that need to be thinned out.. the previous owners had more of a green thumb than we do
Capture.JPG

Theres my house with the backyard behind it. I'm in the Northeast. Zone 5 weather.

Heres the aerial view. A Privacy fence would be around 430linear feet... pretty expensive but might just be the best option. I want to do PVC but then if anything breaks I would have to order the special part from that manufacturer. If its wood then I can just get some wood from home depot for repairs if needed later. But wood needs care and 430 linear feet of that care scares me. Ideas? Key things we want: Privacy, natural beauty.  Maybe even just a privacy fence closer to the house to reduce the linear footage but then what about the rest of the land?

Capture2.JPG

Hill farmstead brewery

image.jpeg

Dont forget to include a brewery

Last edited by a moderator:
Fencing in a smaller area just around the house might be a good idea. If you pay for a cedar fence, it'll be less maintenance the spruce.

we have a similar shape but smaller lot and it has a fence on the border but then has about 8-10 ft of "rock mulch" with some plants to break it up a little..

AYARD.png

I was able to get a thermal image from GIS when I was working as a consultant for the sewer district.  Makes it look like Mars, but it's easier to see stuff.  Short of a forest fire, I don't think there's a whole I can do.  There are plenty of mature trees, but also a lot of honeysuckle.  Not climbing vines of honeysuckle...like 3-4 inch "trees" that is almost impossible to get rid of even if you cut it down..

Property Line - 2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back