Landscaping ideas for 0.5 acre grass backyard no fence

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Backyard-ArchitectureArtDesigns-16.jpg

Thanks all for your serious proposals. 

I'll go and get some quotes now and show all photos to the landscaper. 

Too much low quality caffeine for engineers does not give good results.  Maybe you all should try drinking some Starbucks? 

I do like this one though, thanks:

And one more.

ETS:  The water feature is nice, but a new one would be pretty expensive to put in.

View attachment 9482

Thanks all for your serious proposals. 

I'll go and get some quotes now and show all photos to the landscaper. 

Too much low quality caffeine for engineers does not give good results.  Maybe you all should try drinking some Starbucks? 

I do like this one though, thanks:
That is my favorite room in my house.  Our yard is about 1/3 acre, split half front/half back.  The lady we bought it from was a master gardener, so I don't know what half the stuff is. 

those are all pretty cool but high maintenance and breeding grounds for mosquitoes....no thanks.  I don't have the $$ to pay a gardener.    

Ahh google, yes of course. I just loath when that leads me to unrealistic pintrest ideas created by manufacturers of hardscape and landscape products to lure people into thinking its possible with a normal person budget. 

And so I ask my fellow engineers for practical advice based on their experience.

If I had that much outdoor space (one day, hopefully), I'd definitely look into landscaping with native plants. What's native to the area you are in? Also, permeable surfaces, to minimize runoff. Is there anything you could plant that would facilitate pollination or attract specific types of insects, birds, or other animals that you would like?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah a photo would be help us "help you"

Ive got a total lot of .05 acre (which is like an estate in Denver burbs) ;)  But we just have grass in middle and around the edges we have a nice rock mulch with some evergreen trees and some annoying irirs's and other small plants that need to be thinned out.. the previous owners had more of a green thumb than we do

Back