Kudos for Passing?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcap8

Reaction score
They had a cake for me at the monday staff meeting today...I guess that's cheaper than a raise, but I thought that it was cool.

Anybody have any other 'kudos' stories to share?

That's very nice! And, you deserve it, so even better!

When I passed the PE I didn't get a raise, and my boss (a very non-engineer type) even told me "I doubt that having that certification (aka PE) really makes any difference, or will cause anyone to increase their respect for you." He did announce it in a manager's meeting the next week, though, but everyone already knew.

But a few weeks later, our "state" legislature gave me a Resolution, honoring me for being the "first" licensed environmental engineer out here. That was kind of cool.

I got a 10% pay cut. Just got 5% back last pay period. I did get a promotion to project engineer from staff engineer, though. And lots of congratulations.

That's very nice! And, you deserve it, so even better!
When I passed the PE I didn't get a raise, and my boss (a very non-engineer type) even told me "I doubt that having that certification (aka PE) really makes any difference, or will cause anyone to increase their respect for you." He did announce it in a manager's meeting the next week, though, but everyone already knew.

But a few weeks later, our "state" legislature gave me a Resolution, honoring me for being the "first" licensed environmental engineer out here. That was kind of cool.
Dleg - if you don't mind me asking - what do you mean by 'Resolution'?

I can't believe that your boss made such statements... At least correct him in that you are licensed not 'certified'!

As in "House Resolution" - "H.R. No. xxx" from the House of Representatives. You know, those meaningless things legislatures do all the time - to honor a kid who saved a puppy, to express their desire to secede from the US if they get more taxes. You know, stuff like that.

My boss came from the school system administration. There appears to be nothing I can do to change his mind on the value of engineers. But, that's government for you. Four years later it will be someone new (he's probably only got 6 months left now anyway).

As in "House Resolution" - "H.R. No. xxx" from the House of Representatives. You know, those meaningless things legislatures do all the time - to honor a kid who saved a puppy, to express their desire to secede from the US if they get more taxes. You know, stuff like that.
Basically...

WHEREAS, The practice of engineering is governed by the state board and NCEES

WHEREAS, To become a PE you must pass the FE, PE, have experience, etc.

WHERES, DLeg was the first person to successfully complete these requirements here

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that we present DLeg with a shiny new PE-ness and a coupon for half off one regularly priced entree at Benigan's.

When I passed, a couple managers took me out to lunch. I also got a 5% raise and a memo noting my achievement added to my employee records.

I got a couple handshakes and a coworker left a 22 oz bottle of Arrogant Bastard Ale on my desk. Good enough for me.

Basically...
WHEREAS, The practice of engineering is governed by the state board and NCEES

WHEREAS, To become a PE you must pass the FE, PE, have experience, etc.

WHERES, DLeg was the first person to successfully complete these requirements here

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that we present DLeg with a shiny new PE-ness and a coupon for half off one regularly priced entree at Benigan's.
That's pretty much it, except we don't have a Benigan's out here.

Plus a few handshakes with the two or three legislators who happened to be in the building that day.

Still wouldn't be as awesome as this...

awesome3.jpg

Latest posts

Back