Krak's Grandma's Facebook Quotes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are a lot of work and even though I wanted kids, they are still a PIA and a lot of work, so I would say for people that don't want them definitely don't have them. But I am on the home stretch..
This is how Idiocracy starts, you know.

Sometimes I feel weird/odd/broken/left out for not being baby crazy like most of my friends. Once upon a time I had wanted or at least thought I wanted kids. I don't think I ever even thought about not having them previously because it's just the normal progression of get married, have kids etc.  Now nearly a decade later I feel like I can see the hard work, commitment and expenses that it takes to raise a child more clearly whereas previously I probably only thought about the "cute baby" aspect.  I don't hate kids but I just don't currently feel a desire to have my own. Maybe it's because I was the oldest of 6 kids, maybe it's because I'm tired and selfish and the free time and extra money I have I would prefer to use on travel and my own personal fun rather than daycare and diapers. 

@Krakosky ^ I definitely shared that same sentiment.  Don't let anyone pressure you into feeling bad about having or not having kids.  It's your life.

As for my own experience, I was adamantly opposed to having kids for some of the same reasons you listed.  With work/school/business etc., I very much value the little free I have (had).  As such, I didn't have the desire to give that time up for taking care of a child.  That being said, LadyFox and I had a good number of discussions on the topic.  And eventually we reached an agreement by looking at all the elements.  And as most of you know, now we do have a fun little boy.  Which I do not regret in the least.  However, as you also pointed out, it is a huge time/financial commitment to have a kid(s).  And you can still travel and do fun things, its just different and not always on your own accord any longer.  Not sure if that helps at all, just thought I'd share.

Last edited by a moderator:
A nurse friend of ours said the average age of the new mothers in the maternity ward is 42?!?.

To each their own.  Yesterday we attended the pinning ceremony for my son's promotion to Captain and then went out with him and his friends and hammered a bunch of beers and shots.  We met his new gf for the first time and were telling her stories of his youth and stuff.  Kids are quite fulfilling and I'm really proud of both of my grown kids.

was it a lot of work? Yes.  I wouldn't change it for anything.  Being in my mid-50s and having them both on their own is nice too.  We were married 5 years and had our first kid at 30.  Not exactly planned but also not unexpected.  The second one 18 months later was definitely a surprise, but we all survived.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Krakosky ^ I definitely shared that same sentiment.  Don't let anyone pressure you into feeling bad about having or not having kids.  It's your life.

As for my own experience, I was adamantly opposed to having kids for some of the same reasons you listed.  With work/school/business etc., I very much value the little free I have (had).  As such, I didn't have the desire to give that time up for taking care of a child.  That being said, LadyFox and I had a good number of discussions on the topic.  And eventually we reached an agreement by looking at all the elements.  And as most of you know, now we do have a fun little boy.  Which I do not regret in the least.  However, as you also pointed out, it is a huge time/financial commitment to have a kid(s).  And you can still travel and do fun things, its just different and not always on your own accord any longer.  Not sure if that helps at all, just thought I'd share.
Yeah, sometimes you gotta dump your kid at a gas station to go party with your internet friends. 

we were married 6 yrs or so before minisnick.  We took the time to travel, do stuff we wanted, etc... 

Back