Kids of EB

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why are you going to Tex Jr's prom? and more importantly, whya re you wearing a tux to it?

j/k.

There have been recent article that the average expenditure for attending a prom is now ~$1400. Unreal. I hate that th tux places gouge the kids too.

Are you shitting me? I think I spent $100 for tux rental, and $15 for a ticket, and then whatever the stupid corsage cost. Is the other $1200+ for steak and a BJ?

It was ABout $150 for the dress, about $80 for tix (full 4 course meal was part of Prom since it was at a hotel) friend's date drove us all in their parents new car. Probably another $30 for pics from prom...

I wore a suit I already owned, borrowed a tie& vest, then drove my own car. I think dinner cost me $40 for me and future Mrs Dex...

I skipped my senior prom and went to the after-party with my friends. Ended up "borrowing" a bottle of Jack from the party and heading back to my buddies house to hang out.

Junior year was pretty fun. A big group of us had our prom dinner at chucky cheese and then went to a party after the prom at a friends house.

why are you going to Tex Jr's prom? and more importantly, whya re you wearing a tux to it?

j/k.

There have been recent article that the average expenditure for attending a prom is now ~$1400. Unreal. I hate that th tux places gouge the kids too.

Are you shitting me? I think I spent $100 for tux rental, and $15 for a ticket, and then whatever the stupid corsage cost. Is the other $1200+ for steak and a BJ?
no for the potential steak and BJ. There are no guarentees. Actually I think the current focus is "can you top this?" Girls with designer dresses, fancy restaurants and the "must-have" super limosine. Just like everything else, it's out of control

Nobody pays $1200 for potential. $1200 would buy me the finest USDA grade A and piece of A this side of town, complete with full anonymity. For prom, all you need is $20 worth of wine coolers to seal the deal.

Also, as some may recall here, I was the only person at one of my ex's proms of legal drinking age, and was asked to re-seat myself at the pre-prom dinner at Friday's accordingly. True story. Spent most of the night flirting with chaperones/teachers.

I remember my one and only time going to prom, my JR year, her SR year. Drove her and her friend to dinner in the next state, got back to the event after dinner and was promptly told, you don't need to stick around, I'll get a ride home from my parents. Her parents were some of the chaperones & mother was dancing / grinding with all the high school boys she could. Hell, it was the parents that talked me into taking the girl to it in the first place.

Ah, memories... :smileyballs:

Probably; anyone who wrenches on their own rigs for fun instead of partying with the "in-crowd" is not to be trusted.

Probably; anyone who wrenches on their own rigs for fun instead of partying with the "in-crowd" is not to be trusted.

Mr. Tex, too. He was the bad boy who parked his car in the back of the parking lot...all my friends hated him but secretly wanted to date him.

Anyway the tux rental $200 (I know, I almost had a heart attack), corsage $50, 2 tix =$110, share of a car ride $120, plus I figure about $100 for dinner...so $580. Wow. Can't imagine what it would be for a girl once you figure hair, makeup, nails, dress...

As a side note, I think the $120 for the car is totally worth it. I'm paying for peace of mind. Some one is driving my kid around for 6 hours (that's the min) and I don't have worry about him riding around with drunk friends, and I know exactly what time he'll be home.

Last edited by a moderator:

I did both! For my own high school prom, we finished the engine swap on my 1979 Firebird just hours before prom. Sure enough, there were overheating issues on the drive there, so I had to pull over. Was on the side of the road with a timing light and distributor wrench in a tux with the hood popped, but I got her going again!

too funny speaking of cars...After I picked minisnick up from day care we saw a what had to be no older than a 6 yr old cutting the grass driving one of those zero turn lawn mowers. Minisnick saw him too and I said that would be his job when he was older. He said he would drive his car when he was older too. I asked him if he had a car he said no but you will buy it for me. so at 3 he is already asking for his own car.

Got which one going again, the car or the girl?

The car. Who cares about the girl? (Though based on her Facebook photo from some time ago, someone else got her going during her early years of college, because she spit out a kid way before she graduated.)

I did both! For my own high school prom, we finished the engine swap on my 1979 Firebird just hours before prom. Sure enough, there were overheating issues on the drive there, so I had to pull over. Was on the side of the road with a timing light and distributor wrench in a tux with the hood popped, but I got her going again!

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at leat find you handy!!

Closest thing to a prom story I have is I had been dating a girl for a couple months that I had been in "love" with my whole life, when I made the statement on what was to be or last date "you look at me differently now than you used to." I think I was dumped before the sun went down that night.

On a lighter note, the littlest badal and Mrs. Badal were grocery shopping yesterday, when out of the blue he said that when he grows he is going to like salad.

My prom story sucks. I caught chicken pox and missed it my senior year. Still rented the tux and got pictures with the girl I was supposed to go with, even tho I looked like hell.

Back