Just Submitted My Experience to NCEES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently the NCEES record wasn't enough for TN. They're now requiring me to submit more information on work experience and have my manager complete a reference form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still muddling through my work experience. But it's ok since I'm waiting on VT to return my email about my FE/EIT. Because I took it so long ago, it doesn't show up in my NCEES portal and I can't request verification of it through my VT portal... 

I'm still muddling through my work experience. But it's ok since I'm waiting on VT to return my email about my FE/EIT. Because I took it so long ago, it doesn't show up in my NCEES portal and I can't request verification of it through my VT portal... 
Dang.  Hope they call you back soon.  I worked on my experience description in short spurts.  It was pretty tough because I’ve changed companies and a lot of my experience is based on what I can remember.  Probably took a week to write it

Dang.  Hope they call you back soon.  I worked on my experience description in short spurts.  It was pretty tough because I’ve changed companies and a lot of my experience is based on what I can remember.  Probably took a week to write it
I emailed since my experience calling VT previously wasn't great either. 

My work experience isn't terribly difficult - I've been at one company. I just hate writing and staring at computer screens for long periods of time so I'm doing it in bits & pieces as well. 

should your contact information with ncees be your home address or work address?

So I submitted my experience last week. I had two editors: a coworker and my best friend who does editing. 

I came in 6 words under the limit. And I got an email from NCEES with comments:

"Please revise PROJECTS section to include duration of involvement with each project. If the projects included do not span the entire duration of this record, please add addition projects along with your engineering tasks completed for each."

So do they want years? Like "I did project 1 for 5 years" or do they want "I did Project 1 from 2011-2016"? 

Because if I add in "2011-2016",  I'll have a "gap" on my record of  2 years. I still did work in that time but it was smaller projects that included the same tasks as the big projects I listed. 

I used wording such as:

• I worked on this project my entire time in this position
  • I worked on this project from Jan 2017 - Jan 2018
You could list the projects you worked on during the "gap" and say: I worked on these projects from MM/YYYY to MM/YYYY

• I worked on Project 1 from Jan 2011 - Aug 2016
  • I worked on Projects 2, 3, 4, and 5 from Aug 2016 to Jul 2018
  • I worked on Project 6 from Jul 2018 - Present
You don't have to list all your projects either. Just have to show that during your entire time you were gaining experience.

You don't have to list all your projects either. Just have to show that during your entire time you were gaining experience.
I didn't list all of mine - there would be 100  projects (my internal resume is 6 pages).

I went with 4 big ones that showed knowledge, responsibility, and experience gains. 

But I somehow need to trim even more words to get additional projects in there to cover the last 8.5 years. 

I didn't list all of mine - there would be 100  projects (my internal resume is 6 pages).

I went with 4 big ones that showed knowledge, responsibility, and experience gains. 

But I somehow need to trim even more words to get additional projects in there to cover the last 8.5 years. 
Yeah. They're not interested in seeing just a few big projects. They want to see that you were actively engaged in engineering during your entire time in the role. 

So 5 smaller projects that span the entire time, trump 1 big project that lasted only a year.

Yeah. They're not interest in seeing just a few big projects. They want to see that you were actively engaged in engineering during your entire time in the role. 

So 5 smaller projects that span the entire time, trump 1 big project that lasted only a year.
One of the projects was a 5 year program I was involved in - so I lead with that as my experience grew there.

this is the downside of consulting, so many projects lol 

One of the projects was a 5 year program I was involved in - so I lead with that as my experience grew there.

this is the downside of consulting, so many projects lol 
Since it's engineers that are reviewing this, I kept it very factual. Like, "[Project Name], [Location], [Project bullet points], [Project time-frame]"

Ex:

"Commercial Building Design for Stark Industries. Malibu, CA. This design was for a new 102-story commercial building, with 2.7 million sqft of office space. The design included lighting design and power distribution. The power distribution design included sizing overcurrent protection, conductors, and conduit, calculating voltage drop, and developing panel schedules and riser diagrams. The lighting design was performed used the spatial cavity method. Each floor had their own 480/208V panel feed from a 15KVA 3-phase transformer. The panels included lighting, appliances, and motors. I worked on this project from March 1930 - May 1931."

I would do the larger projects like that, then in the Tasks area cover the smaller, routine, and day-to-day tasks.

So I submitted my experience last week. I had two editors: a coworker and my best friend who does editing. 

I came in 6 words under the limit. And I got an email from NCEES with comments:

"Please revise PROJECTS section to include duration of involvement with each project. If the projects included do not span the entire duration of this record, please add addition projects along with your engineering tasks completed for each."

So do they want years? Like "I did project 1 for 5 years" or do they want "I did Project 1 from 2011-2016"? 

Because if I add in "2011-2016",  I'll have a "gap" on my record of  2 years. I still did work in that time but it was smaller projects that included the same tasks as the big projects I listed. 
I guess I could've asked this first. Did you include any dates on the projects?

nope which was clearly wrong lol
OOOOOOOOOHhhhhhhh. My bad. I was assuming you had some dates but they were looking for more projects. I think if you add the dates you will be good even with the "gaps." The tasks & responsibilities section helps give them an understanding of what you do on a daily basis.

Well I have a TN license number, but the state license records show up as "application in process."

So idk. Either the license number is tied to the application, or I've been approved by the state and it's in the final stages of processing.

🤞

when you submit references for NCESS... do they require the referencees to send something in?  I just used 3 reference for my Texas state board application and they were required to send some stuff in and sign and envelope and tape over their signature. I would hate to bother these same referencees again and annoy the crap out of them all over again. 

when you submit references for NCESS... do they require the referencees to send something in?  I just used 3 reference for my Texas state board application and they were required to send some stuff in and sign and envelope and tape over their signature. I would hate to bother these same referencees again and annoy the crap out of them all over again. 
When you submit your references and your work experience to NCEES, your references and supervisor(s) will receive an email with a link directing them to the information on which they need to sign-off.  It typically takes only a few minutes to review and complete the requested information (in case you need to nudge someone).  

The references just complete an online form. I've been a reference for someone and it was really simple.

had to resubmit my experience again. needed to add another project. somehow found words to delete to add the new project. and came in under the word limit with 8 words to spare. really hope this gets approved this time. 

Back