Journey to acquire a PE License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KajEngineering

Reaction score
2020 Graduate at UCF with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. Living in Florida.

Currently working for a Truss Plant as a Designer, designing trusses for custom homes.

Creating CAD drawings and layouts. Been with the company for 3.5 years since graduation.

I am interested in looking to acquire my PE License and know my jobs title says "Engineering Department" but I do not believe it will count towards required experience.

I am currently unaware if there are any PEs within my company that do what I do specifically but I plan to reach out to my superiors this week.

I came across this community and thought I would join it to start expanding my career in the engineering field and am looking for PEs to possibly assist with some questions I have.

I believe I may need to make a change in my employment to a company/job that better suits my discipline I went to school for, Mechanical.

What are some good routes to take that pay relatively well and will give me really solid experience to actually succeed as a PE.

Are there sources for new engineers to go out and find PEs to work for?

What would be a good resource (possibly in Florida) to really get some good information on how to achieve this goal of getting my license?

I am afraid of taking the wrong job and extending the time it takes to acquire my license.. I am motivated and have the drive, I just need to make sure I take the correct first step.

Thank you in advance!

Many EACs are now hiring engineers with work remote arrangement. You might want to consider that. Feel free to reach out if you need help. I used to work for one of the largest and have connections. For personal growth and for getting the PE, don't stay too long with one company. You need to broaden your experience beyond a few specialized tasks. CAD (and BIM modeling) are very good skills to have though.

Back