John W. Hancock Jr, Inc. Bar Joists

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThoroughPM

Reaction score
I am trying to do load analysis on an old bar joist.  I was able to find the joist tag on and the piece was fabricated by John W. Hancock Jr, Inc.  Does anyone have an old technical documents or load tables for that manufacturer, or have any idea who may?  I have a call into New Millennium who I understand absorbed Hancock Joists but they haven't returned a call to me yet. 

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Also, I am submitting the joist investigation form the the SJI, I just thought on off chance someone on here may have some information.

I have run into this situation a few times.  A few times, I have gotten lucky and found the original drawings to determine the joist series designation, then just look it up in the historical SJI Manual.  In the cases where that is not possible, I have had to model the joist using appropriate steel strengths for that era.  Typically this requires in depth field work to take every measurement available for proper analysis.

If you already have information requests into New Millenium (*note: they are sometimes really slow in getting back to you*) and SJI, and unless you can come across an older engineer that still has a copy of the joist tables around, you may be out of luck and required to model it. 

I have checked my library of older manuals and unfortunately do not have anything for the Hancock manufacturing group.  It may be possible that another member might have the tables you seek.

As a side note, Vulcraft only keeps records for 10 years.  It is my understanding that several other manufacturers have followed this trend and are purging older records.

Good luck.

Back