Job Description

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogfoot

Reaction score
I just got a new job at a small eng firm that does mostly municipal and DOT work. I was hired as a Project Engineer, I asked about a job description for my position I was told that they do not have a job description. But since i took the time to ask now I have the task of coming up with a job description for my position. i thought this would be an easy task but I am having a hard time. Any suggestions? Better yet does anyone have a job description for a Project Engineer that you can send to me?

Thanks.

I just got a new job at a small eng firm that does mostly municipal and DOT work. I was hired as a Project Engineer, I asked about a job description for my position I was told that they do not have a job description. But since i took the time to ask now I have the task of coming up with a job description for my position. i thought this would be an easy task but I am having a hard time. Any suggestions? Better yet does anyone have a job description for a Project Engineer that you can send to me?
Thanks.
here's a list from the ASCE. Looks like Grade III or IV would be appropriate.

ASCE Engineer grade descriptions

I used to work at a very small firm (3 principals, 1 jr engr/eit [me], 3 designers, 2 drafts +admin & survey crews), prior to state work, that said.

Carefully consider what you include and exclude from generic work plans. You want to be able to grow in the job but you also want to be able to ask for a raise/new position when you assume more duties/tasks.

Also remember span of control can be a function of position and reason for advancement.

just my 2 cents

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work at a very small firm (3 principals, 1 jr engr/eit [me], 3 designers, 2 drafts +admin & survey crews), prior to state work, that said.
Carefully consider what you include and exclude from generic work plans. You want to be able to grow in the job but you also want to be able to ask for a raise/new position when you assume more duties/tasks.

Also remember span of control can be a function of position and reason for advancement.

just my 2 cents
I agree, thanks for your help.

Back