is there a cut score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it depends on whether or not the "Cut score" is calculated prior to the test or after, if it is after, then It is a "curve"  my lawyer friends tell me that if engineers didnt get graded on the curve they wouldnt make as much money...
I don't think it's a "curve" in the traditional sense. My understanding is that they adjust the cut score after the exam to make it comparable to teh base exam that they are comparing it to. So if it's an easier test, you have to get more right to pass. If it's harder, you have to get less right. they don't "curve" it to make sure a certain number of people pass. At least that's the way I understood it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they curve it in the traditional sense. From what I've read, it's scaled as others have mentioned.

I don't think they try to pass a certain number each time, but the passing rates sure are similar over the years. I guess that's a good sign of exam consistency.

I guess it depends on whether or not the "Cut score" is calculated prior to the test or after, if it is after, then It is a "curve"  my lawyer friends tell me that if engineers didnt get graded on the curve they wouldnt make as much money...
I don't think it's a "curve" in the traditional sense. My understanding is that they adjust the cut score after the exam to make it comparable to teh base exam that they are comparing it to. So if it's an easier test, you have to get more right to pass. If it's harder, you have to get less right. they don't "curve" it to make sure a certain number of people pass. At least that's the way I understood it.
I know the method you are talking about is the one the NCEES says they follow but it sure is weird how 66% of mechanicals pass every time. Hitting that mark every time seems impossible using the method you speak if. It's hard to say!

I know the method you are talking about is the one the NCEES says they follow but it sure is weird how 66% of mechanicals pass every time. Hitting that mark every time seems impossible using the method you speak if. It's hard to say!
I think VTEnviro is correct. From what little I remember of my college statistics class, there are ways to measure consistancy. Since they are always testing the same areas, it makes sense that would try and be consistent and the passing rates reflect this.

I guess that goes back to my previous post saying that approx. 60% of civils pass each time. I am willing to bet Aprils pass rate is close to that even though the test seemed easier than usual. NCEES wont allow a pass rate of 75%, they just wont. That would bring too much heat on them.

do you think they adjust the score (as mentioned in Mike's post) after they run the answer sheets through the scantrons or before?

At this point, I'm just hoping for whatever the cut score is to be one point lower than my score.

With pass/fail, I just want to see pass. I don't care if it's by one question or twenty questions.

The certificate doesn't say the score. ;)

SCPE,

I see what you're saying about not allowing over a 75% pass rate. Does that mean that the cut score is based on a desired pass rate? If this is the case, how do they decide the pass rates for each discipline? Why are they different? For instance, in ME, the pass rate usually stands around 65% for first timers.

Ed

SCPE,I see what you're saying about not allowing over a 75% pass rate. Does that mean that the cut score is based on a desired pass rate? If this is the case, how do they decide the pass rates for each discipline? Why are they different? For instance, in ME, the pass rate usually stands around 65% for first timers.

Ed
I really don't think they adjust the cut scores based on passing rates.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you guys are saying, but go look at the pass rates for the last exam. 93% of the Navel Architecture engineers passed. 77% of chemical engineers passed their exam. 78% of controls systems, 73% of environmental and 89% of petroleum.

I think it is what it is. It makes sense that the exams with the largest amount of takers (civil, mech, elect) the % passing probably doesn't change that much just due to the large numbers of people.

I just thought that SCPE was saying that somehow, a passing percentage is determined per discipline and that NCEES sticks to or near this percentage.

Ed

Back