Is Graffeo Exam way too easy?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do see what you are saying and I agree, thank you.  We tried to make the problem a little bit more tricky and to have the reader use the value of 480 V as the base voltage for the entire circuit and to override what is normally done.  Thank you for the input, I will revise the solution.  
Thank you Justin for being available to clarify and amend if necessary.  Also can you clarify, sometimes you are given line to line voltage but not told whether it is wye or delta source load, in that case what is the best thing to do. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished reading Graffeo book, it is a concise summary of various topics. I'm taking an exam in the back of the book and find it quite easy. Did everyone feel it this way? Graffio also has practice problem book. Are the practice problems similar to what is in his book? If real exam is anything like Graffio it would be sweet, but I'm thinking it is not going to be that easy. 
Yes, Graffeo practice exam is easier than actual exam. Try to also look for more tough problems elsewhere. Eng Pro Guide and Electrical PE Review are good. Wasim Asghar's PE Power practice exam is also good but I would also take Grafeo in the exam as certain topics/questions are covered in good detail.

On question 1 the answer should be 295.8 -j 183.4 ohms. So I think they just missed the minus sign. 

On a question like this I have a question. 

A 3 phase 500 KVA load is served by a 13.2 KV line. Unless specifically mentioned we have to take given voltage line to line. so 13.2 KV is line to line. The question doesn't tell us whether load is Wye connected or delta connected. In this case how do we know whether to use  √3 or not?  The question then does ask what is line to neutral impedance. Is this a clue that load is wye connected? 
He has the answer correct in his solutions and says the correct answer is (A).  You're right he missed the minus sign.  

So far I have done Graffeo Test, then EngProguide, Spinup and now CI. I will then do the NCEES. Even CI is not to crazy. I hope at least 60-70%  of the real exam is similar to combination of these tests. even that would  be a breather. But that is just my wishful thinking.  

I found both the NCEES and Eng Pro Guides to be more difficult than the Graffeo exam.
I took PE Electrical Review course. I think some of his questions were definitely of good tough quality. I do recommend PE Elec Review by Zach Stone.

I also left my feedback earlier to Zach and Justin Kauwale to increase more tough questions on Protection/Coordination and per unit methods.

Protection/Coordination seems to be toughest for everybody. I think I may have been right at the fence to pass because I did fear a lot before the results

that I might fail as I did very poorly on protection/coordination.

Good Luck

Unless NCEES provides sample questions on protection/co-ordination through their practice exam etc I am not sure how one of these people are going to come with questions because this is a vast area. 

I'm taking an exam in the back of the book and find it quite easy. 
I found that the Graffeo exam was 'easy' but only if you used the Graffeo reference book with it - i.e. there were exact copies of the questions from the exam directly in the reference book. I bring this up in my summary of all my resources I took with me, as it is a common problem with sample exams that are packaged with a companion handbook. If I did it again, I would buy sample exams and problem sets that are not sold by someone who also provides a handbook. This way, you have to solve the questions with your references, but the person who wrote the questions doesn't know which references you are using. This is more realistic to the exam situation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back