is CERM enough for WR afternoon?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

zxu

I am wondering if studying CERM water resources and envionemental chapters good enough for afternoon part. It seems cover everything. but is it deep enough for afternoon questions?

I feel the sample questions posted here are pretty hard (maybe just hard for me:-(

Last edited:
In my humble opinion CERM does a very nice job at covering WR topics, but for the afternoon I think you need a supplemental text to assist with hydrology and some of the more advanced hydraulics issues.

The text I like the best is Hydology and Hydraulic Systems, Ram Gupta. I have an older version of the text, but I think it covers all of the WR topics nicely. Otherwise, I don't believe you need many additional references.

Best of luck on your continued preparations!

JR

you are right. the hydrology part is not that great. but would you be more specific about advanced hydraulics issues? thanks

In my humble opinion CERM does a very nice job at covering WR topics, but for the afternoon I think you need a supplemental text to assist with hydrology and some of the more advanced hydraulics issues.
The text I like the best is Hydology and Hydraulic Systems, Ram Gupta. I have an older version of the text, but I think it covers all of the WR topics nicely. Otherwise, I don't believe you need many additional references.

Best of luck on your continued preparations!

JR

I only had the CERM and my Testmasters notes for the the WR depth. I had trouble with some of the unit hydrograph problems, but otherwise felt I had everything I needed. I can't think of anything in hydraulics that wasn't covered in the CERM.

My theory is too many references will distract you - you want to spend time working the problems (and double-checking your calculations), not searching through your references to try and find something you can apply to the question. But, still, when there's an easy qualitative answer that you find in a reference, it all seems worth-while.

My advice: borrow Gupta from a library and spend a few hours going through it... but don't waste time learning more than you'll need. It's a mistake to work too many topics because you'll be sacrificing proficiency. As an example, I purposely didn't worry about culverts. I suspected there'd be a problem (and I was right) but I except I probably got it wrong (I'm not a great guesser). But to get it right would have taken more time than I wanted to spend (both on the exam and in studying).

you are right. the hydrology part is not that great. but would you be more specific about advanced hydraulics issues? thanks
I think the hydrology sections are DEFINITELY weak at best. I will echo IlPadrino's comments that I had some difficulty with unit hydrograph theory based on only using the CERM. I supplemented that material with Gupta's text as well as the Chelapati Manual for WR that I borrowed from a friend.

Regarding 'advanced hydraulics' maybe that is a bit of a overstatement. Again, when it comes to subject matter like sizing culvert pipes, looking at equivalent flow in pipes, pipe networks, or even hydraulic machines (pumps), I also felt CERM didn't provide good treatment for these subjects as well. Not as bad as hydrology, but I still found the information lacking. IMHO, Gupta provides an excellent text for practioners that isn't heavy on theory - it provides A LOT of practical information as well as charts and graphs related to design principles. That is why I highly recommend this book.

I think IlPadrino is also right in the fact that with only three weeks to go before exam day, I would acquire and thumb through the text for familiarity but I wouldn't be working problems from the text. In fact, at this point in time, I would slow down on providing complete solutions for problems and work on the 'mechanics' of solving the problem. In other words, as you read a problem, simulate the actions you would undertake as if you were taking the exam. Use your references, write down the governing parameters and equations, and check to make sure your units match or are in the correct form for that equation. Do not solve the problem! That should be fairly elementary once you have taken the other steps. In this way you can get squeeze a little additional coverage for preparation in these last few weeks.

Regards,

JR

In Hydraulics, beside basic stuff like Hazen-William or Darcy formula for single pipe, basic open channel, basic pump operation, head loss, minor loss, etc., there are topics such as pipe net work (pipes in series, in parallel, Hardy-Cross), pipe bend, back water curve...you need to pay attention to. If you go back to the posts after 04/06 PE exam you'll see people said how easy it was for WR PM, many plug & chug; some guys even said that they had time to do quite a few questions one more time just to make sure!!! Last exam for WR was different! they said it had all kinds of things such as pipes in parallel, Hardy-Cross...So all I can do is praying.

I think WR PM would have: 26 problems for WR, 10 for Env. and 4 for Geotech. WR problems would have about 17 (it could be 16 or 18) hydraulics questions. Say 17 hydraulic questions in which probably 3 for non quantity, 14 questions left would include 7 basic bread & butter problems and 7 problems which would be a bit more complicated/advanced.

I never took PE exam, I'm sure this is not 100% correct, anybody?

^^^ That sounds about right but I would caution you as to what constitutes a hydraulics question. The last exam I took, I remember the general breakdown for the morning is hypothetically 8 problems per subject area (e.g. 40 questions total - 5 subject areas). As I recall, I would have lumped more questions into some subject areas than others.

Biggest thing right now is to not worry about how many hydraulics questions or how many quantitative vs. non-quantitiative - just focus for the next three weeks on getting the job done :thumbs:

JR

there are topics such as pipe net work (pipes in series, in parallel, Hardy-Cross), pipe bend, back water curve...you need to pay attention to. If you go back to the posts after 04/06 PE exam you'll see people said how easy it was for WR PM, many plug & chug; some guys even said that they had time to do quite a few questions one more time just to make sure!!! Last exam for WR was different! they said it had all kinds of things such as pipes in parallel, Hardy-Cross...So all I can do is praying.
You've got to ask yourself if you have the time to prepare for everything. I didn't even spend a minute on a pipe network or culverts problem - I quickly moved on. I didn't finish everything, so I was happy I focused on the basics and felt confident the problems I did solve were done right.

Don't try to master everything unless you've got plenty of time on your hands and you're sure you've got the basics done. I think most everyone will have to choose their battle.

I'm going to concur with JR and Sraymond on this subject. Alot of the information that I e-mailed out from the class I took, I ended up writing in my CERM in the appropriate sections. There were some short cuts provided in the notes, and those definitely need to be paid attention to.

The Gupta book is a great tool for hydraulics, however if you purchase one, make sure the units are not in metric. It is getting very close (way to close) to exam time to be out picking up study material and trying to learn what is in it. Rely on what you have now because I have found that it is not what you know, it is knowing where to find it that helps pass this exam.

My opinion: just focus on the topics of exam listed in the website. I think CERM is enough.

I only had the CERM and my Testmasters notes for the the WR depth. I had trouble with some of the unit hydrograph problems, but otherwise felt I had everything I needed. I can't think of anything in hydraulics that wasn't covered in the CERM.
My theory is too many references will distract you - you want to spend time working the problems (and double-checking your calculations), not searching through your references to try and find something you can apply to the question. But, still, when there's an easy qualitative answer that you find in a reference, it all seems worth-while.

My advice: borrow Gupta from a library and spend a few hours going through it... but don't waste time learning more than you'll need. It's a mistake to work too many topics because you'll be sacrificing proficiency. As an example, I purposely didn't worry about culverts. I suspected there'd be a problem (and I was right) but I except I probably got it wrong (I'm not a great guesser). But to get it right would have taken more time than I wanted to spend (both on the exam and in studying).
IlPadrino,

Do you think the Testmasters class can pull you through the morning section.

(I've never taken Transportation, geotec, and construction)?

I Will be taking the WR-ENV in the afternoon.

I've been working in wr for many yrs and have a B.S. in Environmental Eng.

IlPadrino,Do you think the Testmasters class can pull you through the morning section.

ABSOLUTELY. Without something like Testmasters (say, for example, using just the CERM) you have no idea what to learn and there's just too much to get it all. Testmasters will give you very manageable topic areas and their reference binder is pretty good. I've been trying to get the PE Notes wiki going (see this thread) because what Testmasters does isn't rocket science. But it's been slow going...

Bottom line: Testmasters is a bit pricy but I think very worthwhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that WR and Environmental are combined, I don't think it's possibly to go in without Metcalf and Eddy. It definitely saved me on a couple questions in October. (not that I now if I passed yet, stupid California)

Now that WR and Environmental are combined, I don't think it's possibly to go in without Metcalf and Eddy. It definitely saved me on a couple questions in October. (not that I now if I passed yet, stupid California)
Have you seen Testmasters? If the WR sections are any indication of the others, it's a great 90% solution for any depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
IlPadrino,Do you think the Testmasters class can pull you through the morning section.

I think any review course will help get you through. I never took a Transportation or Environmental course in my life, took the School of PE review course and passed Civil WR first shot. That's not to say that you still don't need to put in independent study time - all review courses cover the basics and it's up to you to fill in the holes where you are fuzzy.

Back