Industrial vs. Mechanical

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

folky15

Reaction score
Was hoping you guys could help me decide which exam to take.....

My undergraduate degree is in Mechanical Engineering, but my 5 years of work experience has been closer to what I'd consider Industrial Engineering.

Is the Industrial exam reputed to be any easier than the Mechanical?? I'll be taking the exam in Illinois, so I'll have to deal with all of the restrictions that limit the reference materials that I can use during the exam. Of course, the Industrial exam is only offered in the fall, but I guess I'm primarily interested in learning your opinions regarding the difficulty level of Industrial vs. Mechanical.

I took Industrial this fall and passed in first attempt. The numerical problems were straightforward but it was theoretical questions that kept me wondering if I had chosen the right answers.

I don't know how tough mechanical was? The mechanical guy few seats from me had a suitcase full of books in exam room. I used only PE review by Lindeburg (thin book with 300 pages). But it is a kind of solution manual which makes me wonder if IL would allow it? I studied whole year before I took this exam.

Best of luck for your future endeavors.

The NCEES web site would tell you the pass rates for Industrial and Mechanical. That would give you an idea.

Was hoping you guys could help me decide which exam to take.....
My undergraduate degree is in Mechanical Engineering, but my 5 years of work experience has been closer to what I'd consider Industrial Engineering.

Is the Industrial exam reputed to be any easier than the Mechanical?? I'll be taking the exam in Illinois, so I'll have to deal with all of the restrictions that limit the reference materials that I can use during the exam. Of course, the Industrial exam is only offered in the fall, but I guess I'm primarily interested in learning your opinions regarding the difficulty level of Industrial vs. Mechanical.

Get both licenses!

In job wide that Mechanical has more job offering and Industrial has less. One of my firend said that he had no idea that his college life in mechanical (he got low GPA) but until his PE that he pick up industrial really quick and passed the forst time(He passed the FE the thrid times). (According to him that the industrial is easy than the mechanical in prepare the exam)

Back