in-state PE vs out-of-state PE plus master's degree - which is worth more?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One quick clarrification...have you passed the EIT yet and what neighboring state are you referring?
regardless, good luck.
I took the FE in April so I don't know if I passed yet or not. The neighboring state would either be Delaware, where you can take the PE with a Math degree plus 7 years experience, or New Jersey. New Jersey's law isn't entire clear on my situation but they do list on their website similar to what NCEES described with a number of credits in various aspects of engineering that are required in lieu of an ABET accredited degree.

One quick clarrification...have you passed the EIT yet and what neighboring state are you referring?
regardless, good luck.
I took the FE in April so I don't know if I passed yet or not. The neighboring state would either be Delaware, where you can take the PE with a Math degree plus 7 years experience, or New Jersey. New Jersey's law isn't entire clear on my situation but they do list on their website similar to what NCEES described with a number of credits in various aspects of engineering that are required in lieu of an ABET accredited degree.

10-4.

I was originally licensed in Jersey. I would say that if you can avoid that board, you should.

good luck

regardless, good luck.
Some of the states might accept your education but some of them also need you to gain your engineering working experiences there.

You can try CA.

It is better to ask both boards before you act.

personally If you can find a job I would get the job and the experience to get the PE and then the masters degree while your working, if you can...

lots of people seem to be chosing masters degree's since the job market is so tough, so many people are getting them they are not going to garnish as much value as they did 10 / 20 years ago... So thats why my vote would be to work and get the PE...

this economy not withstanding, but your generally going to make more once you get your PE, so the quickest route to that is what I would work on..

personally If you can find a job I would get the job and the experience to get the PE and then the masters degree while your working, if you can...
Definitely. I am employed full time as a Designer and doing the school at night. The master's program would me much easier to do at night than the Bacholer's Degree. Most of the classes are offered online, so I wouldn't have to sacrifice my work schedule to get the degree. Having to take a 3 hour break in the middle of the day to go to class would make it a lot harder to schedule meetings, site visits, and generally take on more responsibility.

I graduated with a non-enginering ABET accredited technology BS degree. After several years in industry, I decided to pursue an engineering license. I too worked and had a family so for me, a BS was out of the question. I applied to graduate school and was accepted conditionally into the structural engineering program. I had to take and pass with a B or A key undergraduate engineering courses and math courses. I knew for quite a while I was going to go back to school so I prepared myself by studying math and physics. Luckily, I was able to test out of Calc 1, 2 & 3. I took differential equations, statics, dynamics, strenght of materials, srtuctural analysis and a concrete design undergrad courses. I graduated with a MSCE and took and passed the FE exam. Texas allowed me to sit for the PE exam....I am currently awaitnig my results. The MSCE worked for me...but, the PE is essential if you don't have a BS in engineering. Most engineering jobs require a BS and don't seem to care much about the MS. I will say though, for structural engineering, the MS is essential and starting to be a requirement. The material covered in the MS is focused and very much worth learning.

Back