Important question regarding state rules for PE/FE exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharris

Reaction score
I have a question and hopefully someone here will have answer; although I know this is a strictly PE section (I presented the same question as a topic in the FE section with only a couple not too helpful comments), but I have a question regarding state rules for repeat test takers. I failed the FE three times in a state whose law is that after three failures you must sit out for two years. I can't imagine sitting for two years, putting my professional endeavors on hold and forgetting the information that I have retained, so I decided I could possibly circumvent this by applying as a first time applicant in another state.

My logic is that since this is not an NCEES rule, rather a state law, it might not be recognized by other states. If anyone has taken the PE/FE more times than their state allotted, did you sit out or did you take it in another state? Is this common practice (to just apply somewhere else), or do you have to sit out?

I think you're right - it's just a rule in your state. You should be able to take the text in another state, as long as you meet their application requirements.

Not to discredit Dleg (and I hope you're right for my sake, though I'm almost certain you are), but does anyone else know about this for certain?

easy way to find out. look at a neighboring states requirements on their webiste.

NY allows you to take the PE exam unlimited times with no special requirements.

The exam is typically offered in NYC, Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo.

Approval of experience can be tricky (follow directions exactly)--I did word search for "involved" "participated" and replaced those words with more specific descriptions.

Continuing Ed requirements are fairly strict compared to other states, but kick in after the first 3 years (which would give you time to get licensed elsewhere).

<<<<just took PE for a third time.

You could always encounter a problem if you want to later get your PE in the state where you had the 3 failures...depends on how they review the application for the PE. How much time do you have between passing the FE and taking the PE?

You could always encounter a problem if you want to later get your PE in the state where you had the 3 failures...depends on how they review the application for the PE. How much time do you have between passing the FE and taking the PE?
Two years.

Not to discredit Dleg (and I hope you're right for my sake, though I'm almost certain you are), but does anyone else know about this for certain?
You need to stop waiting for opinions here and get on with doing the due diligence for the state you want to apply with. It is up the the specific state board to decide and I'd think most applications for examination don't ask "have you ever applied for examination in another state?".

If you're really motivated to take the exam again, submit your application in another state and see what happens - it's only a matter of money and time... what are you waiting for?!?

The obvious advice: figure out what you need to do different to achieve better results. I recommend Testmasters. Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results is the definition of insanity!

I'd think most applications for examination don't ask "have you ever applied for examination in another state?".
I know at least several states do ask if you were ever denied a license in another state on the PE application, I am not sure about the FE application, but some states may have residency requirements also. The best bet is to do some research on the state boards, read the state laws, and ask question to the boards.

I know at least several states do ask if you were ever denied a license in another state on the PE application, I am not sure about the FE application, but some states may have residency requirements also. The best bet is to do some research on the state boards, read the state laws, and ask question to the boards.
Yeah... "licensure" is another story... though even there, I'd bet lots of beer that most states don't ask "have you ever applied", which is different than being "denied" a license. All good points above.

You need to stop waiting for opinions here and get on with doing the due diligence for the state you want to apply with. It is up the the specific state board to decide and I'd think most applications for examination don't ask "have you ever applied for examination in another state?".
If you're really motivated to take the exam again, submit your application in another state and see what happens - it's only a matter of money and time... what are you waiting for?!?

The obvious advice: figure out what you need to do different to achieve better results. I recommend Testmasters. Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results is the definition of insanity!
Thanks, IlPadrino. I'm going to apply in another state this week. I've looked at Testmasters but I can't afford it. Judging by the diagnostic report, I'm inching closer to the mark, but I think I haven't given myself enough time to study and I hadn't done enough practice exams. I understand most of the material and it hasn't been hard to self-teach myself the material I wasn't familiar with. I think I'm getting burnt out in the afternoon. This time I'm going to begin studying sooner and take some practice exams a decent time in advance of the test.

Yeah... "licensure" is another story... though even there, I'd bet lots of beer that most states don't ask "have you ever applied", which is different than being "denied" a license. All good points above.
I will take some of that beer! But I still read that as if you apply to a state, and they deny you the right to take the exam, then you are denied the license.

I will take some of that beer! But I still read that as if you apply to a state, and they deny you the right to take the exam, then you are denied the license.
You're ON!... Allow me to start. Oregon's application makes no mention of being denied a license or having even applied. Now it's your turn to find a state that asks about being denied a license. And we'll keep taking turns.

And, still, I don't think failure to pass an exam is the same as being "denied" a license. But maybe that's just semantics.

You're ON!... Allow me to start. Oregon's application makes no mention of being denied a license or having even applied. Now it's your turn to find a state that asks about being denied a license. And we'll keep taking turns.
And, still, I don't think failure to pass an exam is the same as being "denied" a license. But maybe that's just semantics.
I just contacted my state and was told I could take it again in another state. Thankfully the other state to which I am applying has not reached their application deadline. I guess these things are in my favor. The only thing I need to do now is determine how I'm going to execute my plan to pass.

Sweet!

If you fail x amount of times, and then the application states you can not apply since you failed x amount of times, I think that the state would be denying you the license.

Ok Here is Pennsylvania's application: PA PA Application

And here is the question: Have you withdrawn an application for a license, had an application for a license denied or

refused, or agreed not to reapply for a license in any state or jurisdiction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet!
If you fail x amount of times, and then the application states you can not apply since you failed x amount of times, I think that the state would be denying you the license.

Ok Here is Pennsylvania's application: PA PA Application

And here is the question: Have you withdrawn an application for a license, had an application for a license denied or

In order for an application to be denied, you would first have to apply. If you understand whatever the prevailing rule is for repeat failures and don't apply, you technically would never have had an application denied. Maybe if someone had high hopes that their state would miraculously change the rules just for them, and they applied to their state even after being made aware of the rules and their application was denied, well, that counts as a denied application.

I'm just glad I've been persistent. I know a few people who gave up after their third failure and never looked to see if they could at least re-apply in another state. I can't give up on my professional goals that easily.

I just contacted my state and was told I could take it again in another state. Thankfully the other state to which I am applying has not reached their application deadline. I guess these things are in my favor. The only thing I need to do now is determine how I'm going to execute my plan to pass.
I'd be careful... it doesn't matter what "your" state (I assume you mean the one you've currently been dealing with) says about "another" state. Licensing is a state function and the only thing that matters is the state you're applying with (that is, the other/new state).

Ok Here is Pennsylvania's application: PA PA ApplicationAnd here is the question: Have you withdrawn an application for a license, had an application for a license denied or

I'm not sure I agree that failing the exam is the same as having an application for a license denied... but I'll give you the point. OK... 1-1.

Here's my next one from VA's application:

Code:
9.  Have you ever taken the Principles of Engineering (PE) examination in Virginia?

Code:
15.  Have you ever been subject to a disciplinary action imposed by any (including Virginia) local, state or national regulatory body?

Which one of us will give up first?

In order for an application to be denied, you would first have to apply. If you understand whatever the prevailing rule is for repeat failures and don't apply, you technically would never have had an application denied. Maybe if someone had high hopes that their state would miraculously change the rules just for them, and they applied to their state even after being made aware of the rules and their application was denied, well, that counts as a denied application.
I'm just glad I've been persistent. I know a few people who gave up after their third failure and never looked to see if they could at least re-apply in another state. I can't give up on my professional goals that easily.
Yes, my point is based on if you apply and then get denied. If you do not apply to your state you were never denied!

Back