I'M NOT DEAD!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeb6294

Reaction score
Just to give you a little background. There's a little town of about 900 people in Clermont County...technically I didn't live in town but that's where our school(s) were so most of us around there would consider that the town where we grew up.

I am currently deployed in Afghanistan. The other day at home there is a news report: "Clermont County man Jeb6294 who grew up in 'Small Town' was killed in Afghanistan this weekend in an IED attack."

My (real, it's not actually Jeb) first name is very common, but my last name, while not terribly outrageous, isn't exactly common. Apparently there is someone in our little po-dunk town that just happened to have the exact same name as me and just happened to be stationed in Afghanistan at the same time as me and just happened to get killed this past weekend. The odds for all of these factors to come out just right (same name, small town, small number of casualties relative to the number of people stationed over here) have got to be ridiculous.

Now, his last name wasn't spelled the same but it's pronounced the same so the of people at home who heard the news on TV or the radio were freaking out. The ones who saw the news in the paper got a shock but were able to figure it out because of the different spelling and the fact that they printed his age which is about 10 years younger than me. Fortunately my wife and parents were among those who saw the news in print first.

So, I got to spend the evening going on Facebook telling people that I am not dead...something I never really expected to be doing, but I am certainly thankful for that rather than the alternative.

I do hope that everyone who found out at least said nice things about you! I'd hate to hear "I never like Jeb anyway."

I would hope the Green suitors would find your family before it ends up on the news, but I know that's not always the case. We had an issue many years ago (maybe 7 or 8?) where Soldier X calls his wife and says "I just saw Soldier Y get blown up and he didn't make it." Soldier X's wife, being friends with Soldier Y's wife, called Soldier Y's wife to offer support. Green suitors hadn't made it to Soldier Y's house yet to make the notification so she found out on the phone, alone. And, then rules about communications blackouts started. All phones were shut off for 24-48 hours after a casualty to minimize the risk. Most of the wives wised up quickly, as did most of the soldiers, and kept mouths shut whenever that happened in the future. However, there are always those wives who want to show that they knew something before everyone else did, despite what harm could happen to them!

Enjoy your time in "the ganistan" as a friend's 3 year old calls it. Sorry you lost Burger King. Maybe it'll come back now that McChrystal is gone?

buddy...I'm glad to hear you're ok too, but I couldn't help but think, there's another family there that wasn't so lucky.

My thoughts and prayers are certainly with his family.

I may be one of the few that still believe the task in Afghanistan is an honorable one, and something that still has a big part in our freedom on this side of the world.

^ well said NC. Jeb keep your head low and stay safe.

Back