I'm in doubt with my situation. Opinions?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new_injuneer

Reaction score
I'm very much in doubt with my life direction right now, and I'd like to get some opinions. I have posted a couple of threads here before, but I'm going to lay it all on the line here to put things in perspective.

I am currently enrolled at a University for a 2nd Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering. It is a top 50 school and so far I have all As. I have three relatively low key (12-13 credits) semesters left to graduate, or December 2013. I plan to go into Transportation or Land Development when done and possibly Structures (though I have been told a Masters is necessary for that). A PE would be my first goal. That is the good.

This is the bad. I am 37 years old. I have a degree in Environmental Sciences and 10 years in Environmental Consulting. I have a Masters in Environmental Planning I got a few years back which has not been of any use. Some of the funding I planned to use for school is no longer, so I had to move back in with my folks. I will have to stick it out for three more semesters if I don't want to go into serious debt. No family, no obligations.

My question is ... is this just a really stupid idea?

I'm sure some of you are Civil/Environmental Engineers and have worked alongside guys like me for Environmental Engineering companies. I could very well be doing the same thing I was doing before. I'd still have a PE as a goal, but this part of me thinks my plan is a very lateral move and a waste of money, time, and life. That I should just go back into my field and/or even just try and get a planning job with my Masters. Go find a job, get an apartment, a woman, and live like normal people my age do. It can also be frustrating at times to go to school with people who are practically children (though some of them are very mature).

However, the other part of me thinks that the BSCE and PE will lead to a more fulfilling and eventually better paying career. Better job security and selective mobility. I do enjoy school and a couple of my professors have already recommended me for internships because I was at the top of their class (I'm young looking). But as a guy who's been there, I know this doesn't necessarily translate to anything in the REAL world. Transportation Engineering or Land Development might also be more boring than Environmental Consulting and I might even get paid less. Again, this is the negative talking.

This is not the kind of move most people make at this stage in their lives and if you know me you probably know who I am. :wave2:

I figure this is the perfect place to ask. There are people here who are very familiar with both my 'former' industry and target industries.

I'm very seriously thinking of dropping out of school before fall semester. Opinions?

P.S. The reason I didn't go straight for the Masters was partly because they would have made me bridge in with many additional courses but also because I want the PE and that would have complicated things. I'm sure this topic has come up before here (I've seen it).

No opinions? Just be honest.

I would add that I really don't hate Environmental. I think it's OK. I'm just trying to better my position in life somewhat. I can also spin my Masters as a Transportation Planning Masters if I'm able to get into that field.

OK, let's go slow and analyze each step carefully.

A. Today, many folks are back with their parents. That is the way it is in today's times. Rest assured that you are NOT the only one who is in this situation and will not be the last guy to do so. I am sure that nobody really cares. Oh, you may have some ego issues, being 37 and living with Mommy and Daddy-- however, you are doing well in school and are NOT occurring a large debt load. I thiink that you are more concerned about this than anyone else. You are fortunate that your folks are able to take you back, you are getting straight A's and learning something.

B. Some folks make a career change at this point in life-- this is not uncommon. You may be frustrated because your buddies all have a big house, 3 cars, 3 kids , etc. etc. however, the truth of the matter is that nobody really cares--nobody. Don't get hung up on that. You elected a career change-- you are 50% of the way to the goal-- go for it.

C. School drop out. DON'T-- Why? Well, you are 50% of the way there and the last 50% goes faster than the first 50%. Remember, when you started this journey, you had a plan. Do NOT deviate from the plan now just because you are facing some self imposed headwinds. Stay focused on the goal--you will do just fine.

D. Go for the PE-- absolutely. You did not say if you were going to get it in Civil Engineering or the Environmental engineering that you already have. In some states, it does make a difference, in others, no difference. You will have to check with your state board to be sure. However, go for it. This was part of your original plan--again, just because you are experiencing some turbulence does not mean to return to home station and land. Keep going, the turbulence will subside. Air Traffic Control (we on the board) will help you with some vectors to get you through the turbulence.

E. I do not have a feel for the Civil market in your locaton. HOWEVER, rest assured that you will not hurt yourself with an additional degree. As long as you don't have a wife and kids, you can do this-- you can do it with a wife and kids, however, it is more complicated. Look, there are only 3 semesters to go-- it goes a lot faster than you imagine-- trust me when I say the downhill side is faster than the uphill climb. Dec 2013 will be here before you know it. After all, you are maknig great grades-- that counts!

F. There is NO REASON for self doubt--NONE. Go for it and see what happens. What might happen is something far different than you originally envisioned-- however, happen it will.

G. JUST DO IT! You will do just fine.

Since you have three "low key" semesters until you graduate, I would agree that you should go for it. It could be a spark to help you get things going.

I am not sure if you have work right now, but while you are getting your degree I would suggest to begin looking work and, if possible, start immediately. Perhaps you can pick up some part time consulting or drafting work from some local companies. This could lead to long-term relationships. It is also a way to stay busy and find out what you like (and don't like).

Opportunities for advancement may outweigh short-term negatives. This is your career. You will be working for the next 30-50 years. Two years is nothing.

I think that you answered your own question here.

the BSCE and PE will lead to a more fulfilling and eventually better paying career. Better job security and selective mobility.
You may find that you can link the Environmental degrees and experience with the BSCE and do well. With two BS, one MS, 10 years of experience, an EIT/PE, you've got great credentials. You may consider a professional resume writer and job/career counselor to help you with marketing yourself.

BTW, I earned my PE at your age.

Thank you for the positive votes of confidence all.

I have recieved some good news in that part of the funding that needed to allocated to something else has returned and that I may be able to finish in 2 more semesters and a summer if I really bust my butt, So, it looks like I'll be sticking it out. Sufficient to say, it was a good week.

Thanks again.

You have to complete what you started. All doubts aside, it would be a total waste to stop now, still short of the the degree. So what if yiou end up doing the same thing you were doing (environmental consulting). That can be a very challenging and saitsfying field, and you will now have the credentials to take on more of the responsibility, and that makes it even more so.

Stick it out!

Thank you!

Staying in environmental is a possibility. I also would start out much higher on the food chain if I did, and would almost definitely be done with school, where if I went into Structural for instance I might still need to do another Masters.

However, a large component of my move is to actually change careers.

We'll see how it goes though.

You have to complete what you started. All doubts aside, it would be a total waste to stop now, still short of the the degree. So what if yiou end up doing the same thing you were doing (environmental consulting). That can be a very challenging and saitsfying field, and you will now have the credentials to take on more of the responsibility, and that makes it even more so.

Stick it out!

Back