Illustrating Dual PE Registration/Capability

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME_FPE

Reaction score
Hello,

How might an engineer, if at all, illustrate having passed multiple PE exams--and, for the sake of further discussion, actually has capability, experience, and education in each engineering discipline passed at the NCEES exam level. Obviously, on a resume, it's easy enough to show, but how about in signatures and such?

I am asking because, personally, I have passed both the ME and FPE PE Exams, have degrees in both, and have at least four years of work experience in each. I am geared more towards fire but am proficient at mechanical.

I have seen some people go by John Smith, FPE to illustrate the fire protection engineering registration but never ME and FPE. Is PE by itself still sufficient? Is it even worthwhile to attempt to illustrate both or would it be considered showy?

The FPE exam is probably one of the only PE exams where groups specifically care that you passed that particular PE exam...

If that is the case, then you would put John Smith, PE, FPE

Another option is to only use the title that actually matters to the person you are corresponding with, if they don't need the "PE" then just put the FPE. If the client/person doesn't care either way, then I would suggest using the PE rather than the FPE as the FPE pigeon holes you into a particular sector.

For a resume or corporate resume, I would list both with the states you hold each in.

Back