illinois SE experience requirement?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gangjin

Reaction score
Hello. I hold a PE license but want to apply for a SE license from Illinois by endorsement. Just passed all the exams required by the board (EIT, SI, SII). However, how do they calc. the required working experince? must 4 yrs from graduation to my fist PE licnse? or 4 yrs when I passed SII? or 4 yrs till now?

Another question is how to prove my working experience from a foreign country? No way to let my foreign boss sign for me. Try to call the board by 217-782-8556, but the line is always busy. Is it the right number? Thanks for any help.

gangjin,

The IL SE board calculates experience starting from graduation. I do not believe that they will accept experience for working under a non-US registered PE or SE though. You'll have to contact the board for sure.

You're right with the phone number though. They are always busy. Be careful, that phone number is to the general IL licensing department and not to the SE Board itself.

If you've already taken the SEI and SEII exams I wouldn't worry too much about it though. The IL SE Board might raise a fuss if you don't have a US degree but I'm thinking you've already have that issue taken care of. You should be ok.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
gangjin,
The IL SE board calculates experience starting from graduation. I do not believe that they will accept experience for working under a non-US registered PE or SE though. You'll have to contact the board for sure.

You're right with the phone number though. They are always busy. Be careful, that phone number is to the general IL licensing department and not to the SE Board itself.

I hope this helps!
Thank you very much for the info. Since the phone # is for general, I guess that's why it is so busy. Then do you know if they accept experience till now or just when I got my first PE lience?

^^ It would be experience till now.

Let's say you have 10 years of exp in another country and under a non-US PE or SE holder and 4 years exp in the US and under a US PE or SE holder. In the IL SE board's eyes' you would have 4 years of experience only.

Since you've already taken the SEI and SEII, you've got the US "experience" so you'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really glad for your answer. I will try to see if I am lucky enough to get it. Thank you a lot and have a great afternoon.

On a side note, you should try e-mailing or sending a message through their website. I have contacted them a number of times through the e-mail link at http://www.idfpr.com/dpr/WHO/se.asp

Also, Illinois SE requires a minimum of 18 credit hours of structural courses.

Good luck!

On a side note, you should try e-mailing or sending a message through their website. I have contacted them a number of times through the e-mail link at http://www.idfpr.com/dpr/WHO/se.asp
Also, Illinois SE requires a minimum of 18 credit hours of structural courses.

Good luck!
Thank you. After 20 min waiting, I finally got someone pick up the phone. Unfortunately they asked me retake TOEFL even I have a US graduate degree and an expired TOEFL (8 yrs ago). Oops, I need to review my English once again!

Back