Illinois PE Exam Materials Allowed in Test (HELP!)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During my exam someone asked if they could use the NCEES test/solutions. The proctor was going to allow it until half the room erupted so they did not allow it.
wow ncees specifically does not allow you to bring previous exams to the test, this guy must've known that and tried to pull a fast one on the proctor, had to be desperate lol
I don't believe this is true. NCEES has no ban on bringing "previous exams" (I assume you mean the sample problems/solutions that NCEES sells). Illinois might but NCEES does not.

During my exam someone asked if they could use the NCEES test/solutions. The proctor was going to allow it until half the room erupted so they did not allow it.
wow ncees specifically does not allow you to bring previous exams to the test, this guy must've known that and tried to pull a fast one on the proctor, had to be desperate lol
I don't believe this is true. NCEES has no ban on bringing "previous exams" (I assume you mean the sample problems/solutions that NCEES sells). Illinois might but NCEES does not.
Agreed. We were allowed to use the sample exam booklet in WI. And by "we" I mean there were others around me using theirs as well, not just me. ;)

Im speaking from a viewpoint answering the OPs question, about IL PE test takers. In IL you cannot bring previous tests of any kind.

Im speaking from a viewpoint answering the OPs question, about IL PE test takers. In IL you cannot bring previous tests of any kind.
Understood. That's what I said too. But again, NCEES has no ban on this. But the state (IL) does.

Well this is vague:

Books with content directed mainly toward solution of engineering problems or preparation for

professional engineering examinations.
Seriously...what the heck? I am not a civil or structural engineer, but I am wondering how the "Electrical Engineering Reference Manual", a "Schuam's Outline", or any textbook (since nearly EVERY textbook has solved problems in it) would fall in this category...

Just got a copy of the " Electrical and Electronics Reference Manual for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam".

/>http://ppi2pass.com/shop/pe-exams-1/electrical-pe-exams/electrical-pe-electrical-electronics-exam/electrical-and-electronics-reference-manual-for-the-electrical-and-computer-pe-exam-elrm.html

Has anyone used this book, or its counterparts ("Power Reference Manual for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam" or "Computer Engineering Reference Manual for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam") on the PE? These are the newest versions of the "Electrical Engineering Reference Manual" by Camara, but I am wondering if they will throw a fit because the title says "...for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam" :/

"Books with content directed mainly toward solution of engineering problems or preparation for professional engineering examinations." If that is what their website says, then they are absolutely going to have an issue with those books.

This is weird. It is the new version of the "Electrical Engineering Reference Manual" but it has that extra line in the title...

Hmm. I guess I can bring the old edtion with me just in case, and see if they let me use the new one. It can't hurt to try...or can it?

What happens when one brings a book in that they do not allow? I am assuming they just take it from you and you have to take the exam without it, and can pick up the book at the end of the exam.

I had the PERM and it was fine
The new PERM, "..for the Electrical and Computer PE exam"? I just want to make sure I am referencing a valid book in my studying process. Last thing I would want to happen is me getting used to this book and finding out I can't use it in the exam.

Illinois updated their rules and now looks like they allow pretty much everything?

These
are open-book exams. Examinees must bring their
own reference materials. All reference materials must
be bound and remain bound during the exam. Bound
refers to (1) materials permanently bound, as by stitching or glue, and (2) materials securely fastened in their
covers by fasteners that penetrate all papers. Ring
binders, spiral binders, plastic snap binders, brads,
and screw posts are acceptable fasteners. Staples are
not acceptable fasteners.Writing tablets and legal pads
are not allowed. Examinees may tab reference books
before the exam with Post-ittype notes and flags, but
pads of Post-it notes and flags are not permitted in the
exam room.
http://www.idfpr.com/Renewals/apply/FORMS/PE_SPEC_Exam.pdf

Unless I'm missing something?

I took the PE exam in October 2012 (and will be again tomorrow....). Going in we did not think we could use any practice problem books, but the proctors explicitly announced that you could now use whatever you wanted, they would only be checking calculators, not books. I'm bringing my practice problems book, but didn't use them to complete any sample exams, just in case. I figure bring it, if they say no, put it back in your bag against the wall. I have also not been able to find anything explicit on the NCEES or ILDFPR saying you can't.

I do know the SE has completely different rules, so don't worry about that :)

Good luck everyone!

Can anyone else confirm that IL has indeed changed their rules and that you can now bring in practice problem books, the NCEES sample exam and notes that are bound inside a ring binder?

they changed the rules to follow the ncees rules. it should be on the boards website if you want to go that far.

Yes, I took exam last April and they didn't check anything with the books.

I took the SE in Chicago April 2013. I didn't bring practice problems or solutions, but I did bring ring binders. NCEES criteria for materials are what they now use (as stated previously). The proctors checked my admission ticket and calculators, they weren't interested in my references.

Back