If you failed Civil PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEre

Reaction score
I failed in April 2010 and passed in October 2010 both Civil-Transportation.

The first time around I studied 40 hours tops total, NJ didn't approve me to take the test until one month before it. By the time I got all my references together it was 3 weeks until test day. Needless to say I didn't do GREAT, I left knowing I failed. When I got the diagnostic report I failed by approximately 5 problems, thought I bombed much worse. The second go around I went all out, took School of PE course and did hundreds of practice problems and 15 full practice exams for AM portion.

I know how awful it feels to fail, even in my case where I expected it, to actually see the word :FAIL, really really sucks. Keep your heads up and don't let it get yout down. You will get it, you just need to do as many problems as you can get your hands on. You need to put the time in and just go, if you failed with putting in a lot of time then you know you need to get different study materials, get different practice problems, do them all and you will undoubtedly pass for sure.

I highly highly recommend School of PE, they give you a binder with theory and problems in it. I used it on 70% of test without cracking CERM. For example, when coming across a problem I wasnt sure about, I'd look in CERM and be baffled at the theory/understanding of it. CERM is too technical in some areas and is not good for on-the-fly learning during the test. By the time you figure out what CERM is trying to tell you, 10 minutes has flown by. The School of PE notes tell you what equations you need and what variables you need and where to get the values from. that is KEY!

I failed in April 2010 and passed in October 2010 both Civil-Transportation. The first time around I studied 40 hours tops total, NJ didn't approve me to take the test until one month before it. By the time I got all my references together it was 3 weeks until test day. Needless to say I didn't do GREAT, I left knowing I failed. When I got the diagnostic report I failed by approximately 5 problems, thought I bombed much worse. The second go around I went all out, took School of PE course and did hundreds of practice problems and 15 full practice exams for AM portion.

I know how awful it feels to fail, even in my case where I expected it, to actually see the word :FAIL, really really sucks. Keep your heads up and don't let it get yout down. You will get it, you just need to do as many problems as you can get your hands on. You need to put the time in and just go, if you failed with putting in a lot of time then you know you need to get different study materials, get different practice problems, do them all and you will undoubtedly pass for sure.

I highly highly recommend School of PE, they give you a binder with theory and problems in it. I used it on 70% of test without cracking CERM. For example, when coming across a problem I wasnt sure about, I'd look in CERM and be baffled at the theory/understanding of it. CERM is too technical in some areas and is not good for on-the-fly learning during the test. By the time you figure out what CERM is trying to tell you, 10 minutes has flown by. The School of PE notes tell you what equations you need and what variables you need and where to get the values from. that is KEY!

I am waiting for results, thanks for good suggestions and congrats on your success ( NY Geotech)

I failed in April 2010 and passed in October 2010 both Civil-Transportation. The first time around I studied 40 hours tops total, NJ didn't approve me to take the test until one month before it. By the time I got all my references together it was 3 weeks until test day. Needless to say I didn't do GREAT, I left knowing I failed. When I got the diagnostic report I failed by approximately 5 problems, thought I bombed much worse. The second go around I went all out, took School of PE course and did hundreds of practice problems and 15 full practice exams for AM portion.

Thanks for the ecouragement! I just failed the October 2010 Civil-Transportation and you're right, it does suck seeing FAIL!! I was pretty sure I failed when I left the test too. I'm considering taking a course like School of PE, but the problem is that they don't offer any classes near where I live. I'd have to drive at least 3 hours. I'm considering doing the Passing Zone from PPI, but I'm not completely sold on that either. Has anyone else done the Passing Zone?

Thanks for the ecouragement! I just failed the October 2010 Civil-Transportation and you're right, it does suck seeing FAIL!! I was pretty sure I failed when I left the test too. I'm considering taking a course like School of PE, but the problem is that they don't offer any classes near where I live. I'd have to drive at least 3 hours. I'm considering doing the Passing Zone from PPI, but I'm not completely sold on that either. Has anyone else done the Passing Zone?

I'm thinking about doing the Passing Zone too, but couldn't find any reviews about it. I live in Colorado and I would like to do the PE course that PPI is offering, about $1,400, but they don't offer it in CO. Who offers School of PE?

Check out www.schoolofpe.com, they offer the course in Boulder Springs and Denver. I'd call them as well as tell any one you know who is looking to take a course. They will have the course based on a certain number of enrollments.

I'm thinking about doing the Passing Zone too, but couldn't find any reviews about it. I live in Colorado and I would like to do the PE course that PPI is offering, about $1,400, but they don't offer it in CO. Who offers School of PE?

The main thing I liked with the School of PE was that they fly their instructors all over the country to teach their specific discipline, whether it's Geotech, transportation, structures..etc. The instructors are professionals in their fields, they are top notch.

@JEre

Thanks for the info. I'm about an hour away from Denver, that might work. Will check their website.

@JEre
Thanks for the info. I'm about an hour away from Denver, that might work. Will check their website.
I feel like they should be paying me for this advertising, ha. Also if you check their pass rates it's 90% for first timers and 75% for repeat takers, destroying the national averages.

Yes, I checked their website and they are offering a class in Colorado Springs where I live. A bit confused with their schedule. It says "with refresher and workshop on the weekends", does that mean there is a regular class during weekdays? I need to seriously think about this too cause it isn't cheap at all! Thanks and yeah you should get some fee for referring people haha.

@JEre
I feel like they should be paying me for this advertising, ha. Also if you check their pass rates it's 90% for first timers and 75% for repeat takers, destroying the national averages.

I did the passing zone and didn't find it very useful...that was back in April of 2009. The basic gist of it was a 13 week schedule which told you which chapters of the CERM book you should be studying. You had to read/do the problems, there wasn't anything provided from them. Then they posted about 6 problems a week over the course of the 13 weeks. You could see the solutions, so I printed the problems and solutions and took it to the test with me, but never used it. There was also a forum similar to this where you could post problems and "advisors" could help you if you didn't understand something...my advice...don't waste the money, you could get just as much help here for free.

No class during week, they have a refresher on Saturday where they go over topics seen on the exam in that discipline, then there is a Workshop on Sunday where you do practice problems. The workshop is 'optional' but its necessary in my opinion. The instructors give you a time limit to solve problems by yourself then they go over how to solve each one. Excellent way to prepare.

Yes, I checked their website and they are offering a class in Colorado Springs where I live. A bit confused with their schedule. It says "with refresher and workshop on the weekends", does that mean there is a regular class during weekdays? I need to seriously think about this too cause it isn't cheap at all! Thanks and yeah you should get some fee for referring people haha.

@JEre

@StaceyG

Thank you very much. I have doubts about it too.

I did the passing zone and didn't find it very useful...that was back in April of 2009. The basic gist of it was a 13 week schedule which told you which chapters of the CERM book you should be studying. You had to read/do the problems, there wasn't anything provided from them. Then they posted about 6 problems a week over the course of the 13 weeks. You could see the solutions, so I printed the problems and solutions and took it to the test with me, but never used it. There was also a forum similar to this where you could post problems and "advisors" could help you if you didn't understand something...my advice...don't waste the money, you could get just as much help here for free.

You only FAIL if you QUIT. The diagnostic is a great tool to show you where you need work. Consider your test as a learning experience and turn it into a positive.

Good luck, don't quit.

I did passing Zone too for Civil PE and took Civil-Structural. You summed the experience exactly as I had it, but I actually did find it useful. I followed the schedule to the letter. The CERM was one of only a few books I actually used during the exam, and the course forces you to learn it pretty thoroughly. There's a lot in there so you need to get a handle on were stuff is to use it as a reference. I have yet to receive results so I guess we'll see, but I'm pretty confident.

Passing Zone helped me stay on track studying, but the forum seemed a little cluttered with questions from people who seemed unwilling to learn how to look stuff up, and instead just asked how to solve problems. That doesn't really do you any good in preparation for the exam.

Also the class was only like $300 which is cheap compared to anything else I saw. If you want to take a university review course they all seem to be in the fall semester for the April Exam.

You only FAIL if you QUIT. The diagnostic is a great tool to show you where you need work. Consider your test as a learning experience and turn it into a positive.
Good luck, don't quit.

Well said. I will try and try until I pass the PE :). I'm already on the move and I'm getting there.

Could not agree with JEre more - I too failed in April and I thought I passed for sure. I took my diagnostic results, taped it up on the wall and went to work. I found as many practice problems/exams as I could and my CERM became my girlfriend for 8 weeks.....where there's a will there's a way.

I agree with you, StaceyG.

Get as much as free information from here and stick with CERM and practice problem. I took the passing zone in OCT of 2010 and passed the CIVIL-Structural but it was not as helpful as I expected. It was my third trial and I made it finally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back