I was notified this morning that I passed PE exam. Can I put 'P.E.' title on my signature block now?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^winner winner. IL just started allowing you to take the PE exam whenever you want then apply for licensure once you have the required experience...not that I agree 100% with that approach but it is what it is.
Is this something that just happend within the last month? Where are you guys seeing this?
I took the April '11 exam without submitting experience requirements and I believe people did the same with the Octoer '10 exam

^winner winner. IL just started allowing you to take the PE exam whenever you want then apply for licensure once you have the required experience...not that I agree 100% with that approach but it is what it is.
Is this something that just happend within the last month? Where are you guys seeing this?
it within the last year or so it started, but they have not updated ANY of the info on the website to address it. I believe it was in minutes from one of the board meetings and then people just started doing it based on that.

It stinks and I hated to do it, but you should wait until you get your license #. That's when it is official.

Once it is official though, you can walk around and say, "In my Professional Engineering opinion..." or my favorite when arguing with my girlfriend, "I'm a Professional Engineer...I think I know what I'm doing!" ha ha!

I'm waiting until I get my license number from my state. Unfortunately I live and passed in Pa, but work in NJ, so my business cards/email signature will have to wait for me going through reciprocity too. But the hard part is definitely over. Waiting for formalities is a lot easier than waiting for the results!

I'm waiting until I get my license number from my state. Unfortunately I live and passed in Pa, but work in NJ, so my business cards/email signature will have to wait for me going through reciprocity too. But the hard part is definitely over. Waiting for formalities is a lot easier than waiting for the results!
Once you're a PE, you're a PE...your email signature and business cards can definitely change, regardless of the NJ thing. You just can't stamp anything in NJ. I'm registered n MA and do work in PA, RI, CT, etc...you bet my correspondence has P.E. at the end of my name.

Once you're a PE, you're a PE...your email signature and business cards can definitely change, regardless of the NJ thing. You just can't stamp anything in NJ. I'm registered n MA and do work in PA, RI, CT, etc...you bet my correspondence has P.E. at the end of my name.
Yes, but you *live* in MA, assuming your site info is accurate. Most states (on the west coast, at least) have laws that say that non-resident engineers registered in other states are exempt from the no-title rules, because otherwise interstate correspondence becomes complicated. But if you live in a state you aren't licensed in but you do have a license in another state, the rules do apply within your home state (though not elsewhere). At least, that's what the person I spoke to about it here in Oregon decided.

(But why would I have a license in a state you don't live in? Because my state has more stringent requirements.)

Edit: Of course, it occurs to me now that I'm rereading that Jamo lives and is licensed in the same state, so yes it should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to my boss about it and he is looking into it for me. Passed in Illinois but our firm is in Kentucky. His guess was how you put it but he said he will verify for me.

That depends on the formalities. I was sitting there even after panicking thinking "What if they decide that letting me sit for the exam was a mistake and don't give me the license even though I passed the exam?" ... and getting my name changed was incredibly stressful (the more so because I had stamped things only a month or so prior, and I knew there was a chance they'd come up for review while my name change was being processed)

Isn't this topic being a bit over thought out? I mean, the PE initials after your name are merely intials regardless of what state you are registered. Having the initials really at the end of the day is meaningless, what really matters is the stamp...which really dictates your liability. It all comes down to having the stamp. The PE on your business card or email signature is the added bonus of letting people that you deal with know that you are "wicked smaaaht" and not someone to mess with!

Isn't this topic being a bit over thought out? I mean, the PE initials after your name are merely intials regardless of what state you are registered. Having the initials really at the end of the day is meaningless, what really matters is the stamp...which really dictates your liability. It all comes down to having the stamp. The PE on your business card or email signature is the added bonus of letting people that you deal with know that you are "wicked smaaaht" and not someone to mess with!
I don't believe state boards agree with you. If I work in Kentucky and my firm is in Kentucky but I only have an Illinois PE license I could understand why the Kentucky board wouldn't want me to have business cards with PE after my name.

I'm not saying they do or don't but I could understand the reasoning if they didn't.

its not over thought. If you use the PE initials on business cards or emails, you are portraying yourself as an Professional Engineer. If you don't have the official documents to back it up even if you aren't stamping it is illegal sort of like false advertizing. There are legal ramifications of using the title improperly. Most states engineering acts outline this

I don't believe state boards agree with you. If I work in Kentucky and my firm is in Kentucky but I only have an Illinois PE license I could understand why the Kentucky board wouldn't want me to have business cards with PE after my name.

I'm not saying they do or don't but I could understand the reasoning if they didn't.
My case (was going to be) I lived and worked in one state but most of my projects came from CA and I would be licensed in CA. That was going to be my situation until I decided to wait it out until I had 4 years of experience. I was pretty sure I'd be OK. My concern was that we did work throughout the nation.

its not over thought. If you use the PE initials on business cards or emails, you are portraying yourself as an Professional Engineer. If you don't have the official documents to back it up even if you aren't stamping it is illegal sort of like false advertizing. There are legal ramifications of using the title improperly. Most states engineering acts outline this
^^^ This is accurate, and the correct reasoning as I understand it. Those of us that live & work in one state but have licenses in another *cannot* call ourselves engineers, in relation to projects we cannot stamp.

It's always a fun discussion when someone asks "Are you an Engineer?" - because I either say "sort of" or I ask what state the project is in, and then I have to explain why.

I couldn't apply or take the exam until I verified my experience with my state board. Once I found out I passed the exam, I changed my signature block to reflect those cool little initials after my name. At this point, waiting for the number & certificate is just a formality, at least in FL.

The logic proffered above is germane. If you don't have a number, I would not call myself a PE. Wait until the state issued number is assigned to you. Your business cards and other correspondence can have PE after your name if your address is in the state that you are registed in. So, if I am registered in Iowa, my firm is in Iowa, I can put PE after my name, on my business cards and in my signature block as long as my address shows that my office is in Iowa. Now, if I go to Idaho for a project, and am assigned to the Idaho office for the project, I CANNOT put PE after my name IF I use the IDAHO office address. Why? Because I am only licensed in Iowa! If I apply and receive reciprocity in Idaho, allowing me to become licensed in Idaho, then I can use the PE title after my name while on the Idaho project. Why? Because now I am licensed in BOTH Iowa and Idaho!

Be careful here-- you can use PE after your name as long as the address of your correspondence is the location of where you are registed. If you are not registered in that state, you cannot use the PE title.

At least some states go ahead and issue you a number right away, without having to wait for a certificate ceremony. I know NC is like that. That makes it easy.

There is a post about halfway down the thread on the link below that includes an email and a link to the IL rules. I know a few people who took that route. I believe it went into effect in 2010.

http://www.engineerboards.com/lofiversion/...php/t13800.html

In CT, they issue you a number as soon as you are authorized to take the exam.

Therefore, now that I've passed, I will use the initials PE after my name immediately...

My very own PE-ness. Love it.

In CT, they issue you a number as soon as you are authorized to take the exam.
Therefore, now that I've passed, I will use the initials PE after my name immediately...

My very own PE-ness. Love it.
When I log in and check my name in CT it says the PE exam results are still pending?

How about for you?

Tim

I would think once you have a license number AND have passed the PE exam, you are a PE (in the state which you applied and sat for the exam). I will have the same dilemma; I took the PE exam in MN, however I live and work in WI. It happened that way because I live only 50 miles from Minneapolis, MN, but over 200 miles from Madison, WI. So immediately upon passing (still waiting, fingers crossed), I will have to send money to MN for my license number, then when I receive that, apply by commity to WI.

Back