I need some guidance on the Machine design and Materials PE exam!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know from that list of topics that NCEES provides for the MDM exam, which topics are in depth section and which ones are in breadth section? The list shows two sections: principles and applications, and total of 40 questions per section, i have been kind of going through everything but which ones are exactly in the depth section? The obvious ones are of course all those bolts, springs, shafts, etc.(machine design stuff) and I assume strength of materials is also in the depth section, does anyone know exactly which ones are in the depth section from that list?
Like you said, there are only "principles" and "applications" sections. There is no "breadth" or "depth" sections specified anywhere. Strength of materials is in "Principles" and design of machine elements is in "applications", so I don't understand your question. 

Like you said, there are only "principles" and "applications" sections. There is no "breadth" or "depth" sections specified anywhere. Strength of materials is in "Principles" and design of machine elements is in "applications", so I don't understand your question. 
Yes, I think you misunderstood my question. I am talking about the actual test. The Breadth section in the morning and the depth section in the afternoon. The NCEES list of topics tells you what the topics for principles are and what the topics for applications are, but doesn’t necessarily tell you which topics are covered in the morning or in the afternoon section. Is my question more clear now? Now, there are topics that obviously are in the depth section like machine design stuff and materials and I know about those but what about the rest. I may be totally confused, Is the test separated by principles and applications in the morning and afternoon just like the list? Couldn’t the morning or afternoon section be a mix of principles and applications? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the references that can be taken into the exam, I read the examinee guide for this but it was not too detailed, I know it is an open book exam but can I also take in practice problems books or it just has to be reference manual, notes, standards, etc. can practice problems with solutions be used on the exam as long as they are bound? 

Regarding the references that can be taken into the exam, I read the examinee guide for this but it was not too detailed, I know it is an open book exam but can I also take in practice problems books or it just has to be reference manual, notes, standards, etc. can practice problems with solutions be used on the exam as long as they are bound? 
You can most definitely bring in practice problems with solutions as long as they are bound. I had no problems with that in California, also make sure your board is ok with hand-written notes, if not, just photo-copy them and put them in a binder (they're worried about hand written notes in pencil because they can't tell if a person could be copying exam material on to them).

Good luck in a few weeks!

You can most definitely bring in practice problems with solutions as long as they are bound. I had no problems with that in California, also make sure your board is ok with hand-written notes, if not, just photo-copy them and put them in a binder (they're worried about hand written notes in pencil because they can't tell if a person could be copying exam material on to them).

Good luck in a few weeks!
Awesome. I am in California and I have lots of hand written notes and cheat sheets, I was planning to put them in a 3 hole binder as suggested in the guidelines. Is this fine in CA based on your experience? Or I have to photocopy them? 

I took the test in CA and my notes were hand written in pencil in a spiral bound book. Probably better to photo copy them but I did not encounter any issues with them in pencil. 

Awesome. I am in California and I have lots of hand written notes and cheat sheets, I was planning to put them in a 3 hole binder as suggested in the guidelines. Is this fine in CA based on your experience? Or I have to photocopy them? 
I did the same thing you did, put all my hand-written notes in a binder and had no problems when I brought them to the exam room.

Is the dr. Timothy Kennedy’s review book the blue book with some explanation for each topic and an example or two? 

Before buying it, I thought it will be more of bunch of practice problems and solutions type of book like 6 minute solutions. 

People who used this book, is this the correct one? What’s the best way to study from this book? 
Kennedy book is a slimmed down book for PE exam review. It has the minimum necessity to cover the test material. I was able to read through the book and have a passing score on the NCEES practice exam. This would be something you would read if you only have a month to prepare for the test.

MERM covers a lot more and judging from the 2020 PE Reference Manual it's covering a lot more than the Kennedy book so it won't be enough alone.

Has anyone taken Dr. Tom’s MDM 20 week review course other than my friend @SacMe24? Did you find it useful to pass the exam? How much better is it compared to self studying with Engineering Pro’s study guide which is considerably cheaper?

Has anyone taken Dr. Tom’s MDM 20 week review course other than my friend @SacMe24? Did you find it useful to pass the exam? How much better is it compared to self studying with Engineering Pro’s study guide which is considerably cheaper?
I took Dr. Tom's MDM 20 week course. I thought it did a great job of preparing me, and I passed. But I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to any other course or method of preparing. I definitely felt prepared and I felt confident that I passed after finishing the exam. Although I don't think the "Dr. Tom Method" worked exactly as advertised (but that might be a separate conversation).

Regarding cost, my company reimburses for any prep materials (courses, books, supplies, etc.) up to $1,500. Part of the reason I chose Dr. Tom's class it because it was the cheapest, allowing me to purchase more books and stay within budget. 

Back