I need some guidance on the Machine design and Materials PE exam!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sure is, although most of them are Civil engineers who use their degree daily.  I work in Electrical and am taking the Mechanical exam so naturally have to study harder.
That's crazy! I've been imagining what its like to take a test in a different field. I work in a firm with both structural and mechanical engineers. I'm taking the MDM exam, but have been contemplating doing civil/structural after I get my structural experience in.

Thanks for sharing this, it is very helpful and I guess the way you prepared worked for you. I think if one can identify what method of studying works for them is the key. Even if you solve 1000 problems, there will be a problem that will make you scratch your head. I have also noticed that one or 2 options in the answer choices can be eliminated just by logic and using your engineering brain, in some cases at least. However, the more problems you see and try to solve will definitely help.

is there a cut off passing score or is it graded in some specific way? I have heard 70%, 56/80? Does the score also depend on which section you do better on, am or pm? 
@Abogos the cut-off score changes with every test. I had once believed that NCEES took a sample of "average" licensed engineers in the field, have them take the exam, then whatever they average is that specific exam's cutoff score. But after minimally fact-checking myself, I may be wrong. Either way, here is the quote from the NCEES website:

NCEES Exam Scoring Process - https://ncees.org/exams/scores/

"When an exam is introduced or when its specifications change, a committee of subject-matter experts works with experienced psychometricians (testing experts with a background in statistics) to determine the level of performance that corresponds with minimal competence in that discipline. This becomes the passing score. NCEES does not publish passing scores because they change with each administration. NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way. First-time takers and repeat takers are graded to the same standard."

@Abogos the cut-off score changes with every test. I had once believed that NCEES took a sample of "average" licensed engineers in the field, have them take the exam, then whatever they average is that specific exam's cutoff score. But after minimally fact-checking myself, I may be wrong. Either way, here is the quote from the NCEES website:

"When an exam is introduced or when its specifications change, a committee of subject-matter experts works with experienced psychometricians (testing experts with a background in statistics) to determine the level of performance that corresponds with minimal competence in that discipline. This becomes the passing score. NCEES does not publish passing scores because they change with each administration. NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way. First-time takers and repeat takers are graded to the same standard."
This is correct from what i've seen too.  Generally, the rule of thumb is to aim for 70% (56/80).

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the information. It is graded completely different than the FE exam. 

Thanks for sharing this, it is very helpful and I guess the way you prepared worked for you. I think if one can identify what method of studying works for them is the key. Even if you solve 1000 problems, there will be a problem that will make you scratch your head. I have also noticed that one or 2 options in the answer choices can be eliminated just by logic and using your engineering brain, in some cases at least. However, the more problems you see and try to solve will definitely help.

is there a cut off passing score or is it graded in some specific way? I have heard 70%, 56/80? Does the score also depend on which section you do better on, am or pm? 
Shooting for 70% score will almost be a guaranteed pass. I think there are only 1 or 2 reported fail scores of 56 across all different disciplines over a few years.

Problems, problems, problems. Don't go really deep into subjects. They test on breadth rather than specifics. Knowing the basics of each area is more beneficial than being very proficient in only a few.

Shooting for 70% score will almost be a guaranteed pass. I think there are only 1 or 2 reported fail scores of 56 across all different disciplines over a few years.

Problems, problems, problems. Don't go really deep into subjects. They test on breadth rather than specifics. Knowing the basics of each area is more beneficial than being very proficient in only a few.
Oh interesting, do you know what has been the lowest score that has passed the mechanical PE? 

Oh interesting, do you know what has been the lowest score that has passed the mechanical PE? 
I don't know what my score was, but I tend to think the lowest passing score was mine back in October  :winko:

So you mean after the test was over you didn’t think you would pass? Haha
I don't know about ct, but it is just a long day.  I had no clue if I had passed when I walked out.  Some questions are gonna come at you and seem like a little out of left field.  I guess when I left and the many days afterward, I just tended to focus on those problems instead of the ones I nailed. 

Doubt creeps in, and the wait starts to grind on you.  Then you say to yourself, "man I really don't know if i passed".

I believe that if you know the fundamentals and are sharp from practice problems in the key areas, you'll be fine.

I don't know about ct, but it is just a long day.  I had no clue if I had passed when I walked out.  Some questions are gonna come at you and seem like a little out of left field.  I guess when I left and the many days afterward, I just tended to focus on those problems instead of the ones I nailed. 

Doubt creeps in, and the wait starts to grind on you.  Then you say to yourself, "man I really don't know if i passed".

I believe that if you know the fundamentals and are sharp from practice problems in the key areas, you'll be fine.
Yes I understand, You always tend to think about the problems that gave you a little hard time more so you get a feeling you didn’t do well overall. This was true for the FE exam too, although that one I think is curved but a lot of people I talked to thought they failed it. 

Is the dr. Timothy Kennedy’s review book the blue book with some explanation for each topic and an example or two? 

Before buying it, I thought it will be more of bunch of practice problems and solutions type of book like 6 minute solutions. 

People who used this book, is this the correct one? What’s the best way to study from this book? 

Are you in CA?

Yea it really depends. I have friends that passed it on their first try with minimal preparation and they were really average students in school just 4 years ago. On the other hand, I know some bright students who took it 3 times to pass. I think you just need to practice as much as you can and just know where to find all the information in your references. 

I am also doing just problems right now and when I get tired of it I work on my cheat sheet and tabbing important areas. Trying to stay calm and not stress over it too much. 
Nah, I'm on the east coast (GA) but a majority of my company's projects are out in CA. I agree on the stress part, but I just took my first practice exam after finishing my first pass through all the exam material this weekend. I forgot the kind of endurance that you need to build up to take an 8-hour exam. It's hard to not feel like you're losing your mind  :screwloose:

But like you said, problems, problems, problems 'til the hands cramp up!

Is the dr. Timothy Kennedy’s review book the blue book with some explanation for each topic and an example or two? 

Before buying it, I thought it will be more of bunch of practice problems and solutions type of book like 6 minute solutions. 

People who used this book, is this the correct one? What’s the best way to study from this book? 
That's the correct one (https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Exam-Review-Materials-Engineering/dp/1545055890/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=dr+timothy+kennedy&qid=1550596449&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull) . It is not a collection of practice problems like the 6-min. solution, BUT, for each section it covers they do provide additional samples which you CAN use as practice problems. That's how I used the book, once I reviewed all the material in MERM, I tried to solve the problems in Dr. Kennedy's book without looking at the answers. 

Good luck with studying !

That's the correct one (https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Exam-Review-Materials-Engineering/dp/1545055890/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=dr+timothy+kennedy&qid=1550596449&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull) . It is not a collection of practice problems like the 6-min. solution, BUT, for each section it covers they do provide additional samples which you CAN use as practice problems. That's how I used the book, once I reviewed all the material in MERM, I tried to solve the problems in Dr. Kennedy's book without looking at the answers. 

Good luck with studying !
Thanks for your input, really helpful. I try to do the same thing as you did.

^^^+1. Right after I felt I did ok, Friday night major doubt creeped in as I thought about all the problems I know I got wrong, and by Saturday morning I was positive I failed. Stayed that way until I got the results on Dec. 6th and frankly I was shocked that I passed. I am so scarred, it is too early for me to try and even help people that post practice problems. Haha. I get stressed just reliving the memory of all the stress. 

Does anyone know from that list of topics that NCEES provides for the MDM exam, which topics are in depth section and which ones are in breadth section? The list shows two sections: principles and applications, and total of 40 questions per section, i have been kind of going through everything but which ones are exactly in the depth section? The obvious ones are of course all those bolts, springs, shafts, etc.(machine design stuff) and I assume strength of materials is also in the depth section, does anyone know exactly which ones are in the depth section from that list?

Back