I failed again (UGH!) help please :(

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my EIT exam in April 1981 in the State of Indiana. I had graduated in December 1979. My results came in the mail in August 1981 that I had passed this exam. Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but this is the most useless, overrated, invisible and unappreciated exam given in modern history. No one in the next 29 years ever mentioned anything about this exam even though I included it in my resume. It will have absolutely no effect on your future success, it will not increase your opportunities or impress anyone who knows about it. The only two people who care about whether you passed this exam are YOU and your MOM. Get over it. In the U.S. you don't need to pass the EIT or the PE exam in order to be employed as an engineer or to call yourself an engineer. Lawyers and doctors need to pass licensing exams, but not engineers. This is strictly voluntary, and passing it is not rewarded. Take it as a personal challenge, but don't expect it to do anything for you if you pass. No one cares. :bananapowerslide:
Are you kidding? I can show you at least a dozen of vacancies where they require EIT. Things have changed!!
I supported your writeup. i must confes that having passed the P.E, my employer is not willing to promote me. I work with the government and it is sad to note that withiin my work division where we have the consultant as well, the resident engineer doen not have license nor the assistant amd we have highly experienced P.E reporting for them. i am even cosidering divering to medical line since i am still young. i want a profession where hard work or talent is rewarded.

So, this is the second time I take the FE (April 2009 and 2010) and I just got my new scores... failed again. I thought the passing score was 50%, but I guess that's not the case for my state. I calculated I got a 52%. I did prepare myself: FERM, practice tests, eitexperts... I'm depressed :( , but I gotta take it again. If you guys could give me some tips on how to pass this freakin' test that would be very much appreciated.
Mathematics 42

Engineering Probability and Statistics 50

Chemistry 73

Computers 62

Ethics and Business Practices 88

Engineering Economics 20

Engineering Mechanics (Statics) 38

Engineering Mechanics (Dynamics) 20

Strength of Materials 38

Material Properties 62

Fluid Mechanics 50

Electricity and Magnetism 64

Thermodynamics 62

Advanced Engineering Mathematics 67

Engineering Probability and Statistics 100

Biology 67

Engineering Economics 50

Application of Engineering Mechanics 38

Engineering of Materials 43

Fluids 67

Electricity and Magnetism 29

Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer 33

If you took the exam october 30, 2010, how do you know what your scores are by 11/8/2010 when it takes 6 to 8 weeks for scores to be returned to you? Your score is based on a scale for all fe examinees held on this day in U.S.A. Moreover I have been told it is a scaled score of 75% not 50%. It also changes every year and also changes per state. If you have specifice questions about your grading and the passing score for your state, first contact NCEES and ask them directly and then contact the state in which you are resgistered for the exam and ask them what the passing percentage is required for that state.

The more examinees that contact the NCEES on how to calculate ones passing score from your results sent to you, the more specific they will become in their response over time. It has changed over the years and continually will change based on needs and demands by educators, employers and examinees. You must make the demand to get the product you want. In addition by voicing your concern or opinion to the source, you are helping other examinees while you are helping yourself.

So, this is the second time I take the FE (April 2009 and 2010) and I just got my new scores... failed again. I thought the passing score was 50%, but I guess that's not the case for my state. I calculated I got a 52%. I did prepare myself: FERM, practice tests, eitexperts... I'm depressed :( , but I gotta take it again. If you guys could give me some tips on how to pass this freakin' test that would be very much appreciated.
Mathematics 42

Chemistry 73

Computers 62

Engineering Economics 20

Strength of Materials 38

Material Properties 62

Fluid Mechanics 50

Thermodynamics 62

Biology 67

Engineering Economics 50

Fluids 67

Sorry, I made a mistake on when you took the exam. I initially saw October, but when I read it in my response, it clearly states April. The rest of what I said is correct.

Mathematics 42

Chemistry 73

Computers 62

Engineering Economics 20

Strength of Materials 38

Material Properties 62

Fluid Mechanics 50

Thermodynamics 62

Biology 67

Engineering Economics 50

Fluids 67

Per Ncees web site registration for the April 2011 exam will open in late November. It means April 2011 registration will be opened before we get the results. What do you recommend ? Do I need to wait results or register for April 2011 (Since I am not 100% sure that I will pass)

Per Ncees web site registration for the April 2011 exam will open in late November. It means April 2011 registration will be opened before we get the results. What do you recommend ? Do I need to wait results or register for April 2011 (Since I am not 100% sure that I will pass)

When I failed mine in December 2008 NCEES gave us an extension in January (by two weeks) provided you mailed them a copy of your fail letter with the app verifying why you are applying past the deadline, someone asked this before and I told them my experience and another user got really rude saying "they should know you failed" and "you dont have to send the letter" but I know here in Alabama thats what I had to do to apply late to retake in April becasue I didnt get my results till after the deadline, so you might wanna check with NCEES directly or your state board if applicable :)

The following is the answer of my question from board;

"You will have plenty of time to register after you get your results. They usually come out the first or second week of December and you can sign up for the exam up to January 14, 2011."

When I failed mine in December 2008 NCEES gave us an extension in January (by two weeks) provided you mailed them a copy of your fail letter with the app verifying why you are applying past the deadline, someone asked this before and I told them my experience and another user got really rude saying "they should know you failed" and "you dont have to send the letter" but I know here in Alabama thats what I had to do to apply late to retake in April becasue I didnt get my results till after the deadline, so you might wanna check with NCEES directly or your state board if applicable :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The following is the answer of my question from board;
"You will have plenty of time to register after you get your results. They usually come out the first or second week of December and you can sign up for the exam up to January 14, 2011."

I also got the same reply, but haven;t received the results yet!

Back