I failed again (UGH!) help please :(

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got a 68 and failed so 50%s are not too close. Looks like you had to have a 70% to pass.

i got a 68 and failed so 50%s are not too close. Looks like you had to have a 70% to pass.
I think you are talking about the PE, this thread is about the FE where 55% is the believed cut score.

I think you are talking about the PE, this thread is about the FE where 55% is the believed cut score.
some states require a 70% score to pass by law. But the test is curved to achieve similar pass fail rates in each state. One states 55% might be equivalent score to another states 70%.

some states require a 70% score to pass by law. But the test is curved to achieve similar pass fail rates in each state. One states 55% might be equivalent score to another states 70%.
Do you mean it could be easier to pass in some states?

Complete nonsense. Precisely two states (Virginia and Texas) give you a scaled score. They set a passing score at 70. Not 70%. It is not a percentage. THe rest of the states give no score at all, just Pass or Fail. You can translate "70" to mean "Pass". It has no real numeric significance.

The number of questions correct to pass is exactly the same in every state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete nonsense. Precisely two states (Virginia and Texas) give you a scaled score. They set a passing score at 70. Not 70%. It is not a percentage. THe rest of the states give no score at all, just Pass or Fail. You can translate "70" to mean "Pass". It has no real numeric significance.

North Dakota gave me a numerical score.

The way I understood the scoring is that the lowest passing grade is an "effective 70%."

The way I understood the scoring is that the lowest passing grade is an "effective 70%."
I guess we may be saying the same thing. You can call it an "effective 70%" but it has nothing to do with percent.

North Dakota gave you a score THIS YEAR? For the PE or FE? That would make them the third state that does this. I never heard of it, but maybe that's because there are not many people from North Dakota who post here.

One thing that is 100% false - there are NOT different cut scores in dsifferent states.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have questions. So for example I got my FE license in Louisiana while I was still in college, later on I plan to move to Taxes to work, do I have to take another FE test in Taxes or they will transfer my license?

what all of those number suppose to mean? May some one please tell me how to read this?

I have questions. So for example I got my FE license in Louisiana while I was still in college, later on I plan to move to Taxes to work, do I have to take another FE test in Taxes or they will transfer my license?
I'm assuming you mean Texas, not Taxes.

You only need to take the FE exam once. If you end up taking the PE exam in Texas, you will need to put on your application that you took the FE exam in Louisiana. Texas may require proof from Louisiana that you did pass the FE. There should be instructions on the application that tell you what to do.

I guess we may be saying the same thing. You can call it an "effective 70%" but it has nothing to do with percent.

North Dakota gave you a score THIS YEAR? For the PE or FE? That would make them the third state that does this. I never heard of it, but maybe that's because there are not many people from North Dakota who post here.

One thing that is 100% false - there are NOT different cut scores in dsifferent states.

Yeah, I think we're on the same wavelength.

I took the test in the spring and received a score with my "pass" letter. People I know that took it in the fall and passed got their score as well.

Wow, you were so so so closed to pass. Did you request a "manual" evaluation?

Foccs more on Math and Mechanics stats and Dynamics, adn Chemistry Economics, Thermo and Electricity. good luck. These are the core subjects in FE.

I took my EIT exam in April 1981 in the State of Indiana. I had graduated in December 1979. My results came in the mail in August 1981 that I had passed this exam. Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but this is the most useless, overrated, invisible and unappreciated exam given in modern history. No one in the next 29 years ever mentioned anything about this exam even though I included it in my resume. It will have absolutely no effect on your future success, it will not increase your opportunities or impress anyone who knows about it. The only two people who care about whether you passed this exam are YOU and your MOM. Get over it. In the U.S. you don't need to pass the EIT or the PE exam in order to be employed as an engineer or to call yourself an engineer. Lawyers and doctors need to pass licensing exams, but not engineers. This is strictly voluntary, and passing it is not rewarded. Take it as a personal challenge, but don't expect it to do anything for you if you pass. No one cares. :bananapowerslide:

Canada.gif

I took my EIT exam in April 1981 in the State of Indiana. I had graduated in December 1979. My results came in the mail in August 1981 that I had passed this exam. Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but this is the most useless, overrated, invisible and unappreciated exam given in modern history. No one in the next 29 years ever mentioned anything about this exam even though I included it in my resume. It will have absolutely no effect on your future success, it will not increase your opportunities or impress anyone who knows about it. The only two people who care about whether you passed this exam are YOU and your MOM. Get over it. In the U.S. you don't need to pass the EIT or the PE exam in order to be employed as an engineer or to call yourself an engineer. Lawyers and doctors need to pass licensing exams, but not engineers. This is strictly voluntary, and passing it is not rewarded. Take it as a personal challenge, but don't expect it to do anything for you if you pass. No one cares. :bananapowerslide:
It depends on what field you are in. It's true that in some fields passing the PE means very little to your employers. In other industries a PE is much more valuable.

All,
I passed the FE on the first try with an 84. I watched a set of free review videos available at the Texas A$M web site.

http://engineeringregistration.tamu.edu/ta...views/index.htm

I also got a couple of FE test prep manuals one of them being the NCEES FE sample test manual and did lots and lots of example problems.

Good luck.

Thanks!! I watched several of those videos this time around. They really helped.

Wow, you were so so so closed to pass. Did you request a "manual" evaluation?
I called someone at the NCEES and they told me that sending my scores for a re-evaluation would be a waste of time. That they don't really pass many people who request a re-evaluation (less than 1%) He also told me that my score just wasn't sufficient. He couldn't tell me how much I needed, but he assured me that what I got wasn't enough. So, I'm guessing (and hoping) that the passing score is around 55%-60% .

:happy: I wish that were true, but nowadays it does matter. Many of my friends who got jobs after graduation were asked if they had passed the F.E . If they hadn't but still got the job, then the company would nudge them to take it as soon as possible.

Are you kidding? I can show you at least a dozen of vacancies where they require EIT. Things have changed!!

Back