I am looking for Advise

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wael

PE
Reaction score
Hi all,

I did FE exam (Electrical for PM) on October 2012. Hopefully I'll pass.

I am intending to take the PE Power exam in April 2013. I am looking forward to start mid Dec, or first of january.

I will use Camara Reference manual, Ugly's, NEC as reference manuals. I already have Wildi and Glover Books (but won't use them unless I don't find what I am looking for in the main Refrences)

my preperation will be as follows:

I'll get Spin-up exams + All Complex Imaginary Exams+ NCEES sample exam and would try to master every single problem. (i'm dedicating 2-3 hours daily)

Would preparing for 3 months with that appraoch be adequate to pass this exam?

I really appreciate your input guys.

For now 1 question...do you have the experience to take the PE or you are a recent graduate?

(null)

Yes, I have 7 years experience, and graduated from an abet accredited program. I need to pass the fe exam to apply for the pe exam.

It all depends on you, sorry for the generic answer.

If you can remember the theories, samples and where in your reference manuals to look for information, then you will be fine.

Either way, study, study, study.....

I also wouldn't rely on the exams completely. I felt I spent too much time taking and re-taking the practice exams without fully enveloping myself in the theory behind everything. Make sure you take time to just read and understand all the background info.

I spent about 500 hours in study and other preparation for the PE, Power, and passed. 3 hours/day * 30 days * 3 months =~300 hours. That may do it for you, it might have done it for me, though we'll never know.

Wael,

I'd start now, or very soon. If you don't have a reference/formula book of your own, make one. If I were you (and I was), I'd go through the practice tests, start with a couple Spin Ups to get you in the right mind set, then take the NCEES practice exam. The NCEES will let you know where you need help. Then hit as many practice tests as you can, like 1 a night or every other night. keep track of every formula that you use in the practice tests, write them in your formula/reference book broken down by section or type, also tab the book you got the info/formula from. The test may ask you straight up calculations, but they may ask you generalizations from the formulas (if voltage remains constant and resistance decreases, current will?) I would also suggest making a seperate NEC booklet and get a set of tabs and a good index for your NEC, it's 10% of the test and it's an easy way to get 8-10 questions fairly easy, but it can eat up alot of time, if you're not prepared. Get a couple good motor books and tab them by motor/gen type. You want to get to where you can go through a CI test, score 90-95% and get it done in about 3 hours. Go back through the tests, over and over, until you get to that level. Make sure you take a day or two each week and have some "you" time, that's why you should start now, so you don't get rushed in the end, try to cram too much and burn out. Just like the test itself, pace yourself. Pluck the easy fruit first, then hit the harder stuff. Hope this helps!

Spencer aka Judowolf

Wael

Sorry for my late response....too much work at work...didn't have time to read the forum....But here is my 2 cents.....To be honest if I was you I would take it in October 2013(these kind of test can not be rushed it could lead to fail on first try)... On the PE there is a lot of materials that needs to be reviewed....unless you are a guru( i wasn't...basically i had to start from scratch because i forgot almost everything i learned at college regarding ac power) dominating ac single phase , 3phase, power calcs, voltage drop, motors and NEC...and don't start your studies by mid december...start now reading at least the wildi book...your references looks to be good...if i was you i would add...Electrical Circuits by Nilsson 8th edition to review ac...Nilsson is pretty good explaining ac, also electrical machines by chapman...good book explaining transformers and motors...read all those books and finish them by july of course not the whole book, just the topics that are req for the PE....then on august enroll in the GA Tech PE course...when finish GA Tech(you shall be finish this by mid sep)..then start the complex and spin off as test practice...at the end do NCEES test as real test practice with timing....then you are going to be prepared....because thats what i did...except i didn't use spin off...it wasn't available when i took it..and by the way if it was available i didn't had the time to work on those test. i dedicated like 3 hours every day plus a little more on weekends with some days off...it was tuff..very tuff and very expensive...but it pays off...only took it one time..passed on first try....and when i took the test i felt prepared...but still on the real PE there are some problems that nothing seems to prepared you...the best thing you can do is stay calm...and do your best with your knowledge.

Hope my 2 cents of experience and wisdom helps you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice is to practice doing sample exams. When I took the exam the first time, my focus was on reading and studying the text books. I failed! The second time I just focused doing sample exams. Did the problems and then researched the topics in my textbooks that were in the sample exams. I passed! Let the sample exams drive your studying. I used the Spinup and NCEES sample exams. The Wildi book I felt was a good reference book to have.

Practice, Practice, Practice...

Back