How Old are you?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 38 when I took the PE (Power) last April for the first time and passed.  I wasn't really planning on taking the PE but a co-worker was and the company was paying for everything so I thought what the heck.  I had to overnight my application to my state board to get it there on the last day you could apply.  I graduated in 2006 (BSEE).  I went to college right out of high school and flunked out in the first year.  I then worked construction and completed an apprenticeship program.  After that I went back to school with a slightly different attitude :D  and did rather well.  I took the FE while in school. 

Last edited by a moderator:
52 years old

Graduated in 1988.

Took the  FE in 1997 when I was 31 and passed it the first time.  May have been called the EIT back then.  Can't remember. :D

First attempted the PE in 1998 or 1999.  DNP

Took it again the same year.  DNP

Got gun shy.  I did not necessarily need it for my job and convinced myself having the license was overrated. 

Decided once and for all it was now or never.  Shut myself off from my family and the rest of the world for 6 months and took the test again in 2014 when I was 47.  Passed.

Thank God for GA Tech review course, the internet, and this forum.

It can be done.  It's not easy.  But it can be done. 

I have been out of college for over 25 years, for some reason I am not finding hard to get back into swing of things. In fact , I have learnt what I did not learn in 4 year of college by going through this process.  
I had a very similar feeling regarding learning things that didn't sink in the first time. 

First FE attempt was a completely dry run when I was 28.  0 studying... zip, nada.  Didn’t even thumb through the provided reference.  No surprise that was an unsuccessful attempt.

Successful FE at 32.

First PE attempt at 32.  

Time will tell if there will more more attempts and indexing of the age.

Took FE and passed at 22

Took PE Power in October of 2018 passed and I had just turned 24

def recommend taking it right away or as soon as you can! Illinois is a decoupled state

Graduated from Georgia Tech and took the FE (then known as the EIT in Georgia) in 1991 - Passed

Just took the Power PE Exam in April 2019 - Waiting on results

As others have stated, I highly recommend not waiting till you are 50 to take the PE Exam, as I did.  For years, no position with my employer required it, so completing the exam was discouraged.  The environment changed and PE's are now required at my same employer for some positions.  Take it as soon as you can, because things can change.  

Fingers Crossed!

Back