How Much of Pay Raise after PE Certification?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never seen anywhere in the statues that requires you to stamp drawings that you worked on (just because I work on a drawing does not mean im ready to stamp it when a project manager says so, I may need time which = a huge fatty raise before the drawings can go forward or someone else can stamp them), I worked on all kinds of drawings as an EIT and obvously I never stamped them.
I would wholeheartedly terminate you for that before you could even start with any BS excuse of why you're not ready to stamp your work.

As a EIT, yes you did plans, specs, etc... then passed it on to your PE to stamp and take responsibility for those stamped plans, specs, etc... When you passed on your work as an EIT you were passing on work that had been completed to your best ability and to your knowledge, was stamp worthy.

Now your a PE and can stamp your work. Are you now telling me that the work you do now is not stamp worthy, or you don't know what stamp worthy is, or that it's not your best effort, any excuse that you pull from your bag of tricks can be considered as a regression in your ability to do your job as per your work description (even if your description says nothing about you stampnig your own work), and a regression in your ability to do your work per your job description is legal grounds for termination in any state, unless of course the regression is due to being legally impaired/disabled... which now that I think about it all the PEs I've worked with could be considered legally retarded so I guess you can't get fired.
Yes I agree that if you start onto the work it should be to the best of your ability and "stamp worthy" however I would simply not start on the project without a compensation negotiation prior and if the compensation was not to my liking I simply would nto start the project and there is nothing unethical about that.

Nothing unethical at all. However, you have to realize that you may not last long with that company if that's the route you take...

however I would simply not start on the project without a compensation negotiation prior and if the compensation was not to my liking I simply would nto start the project and there is nothing unethical about that.
Maybe not unethical, but definitely not productive for your employer. That would definitely be grounds for termination from any company, and it would certainly hold up in court if you were stupid enough to sue (which I'm pretty sure you are that stupid).

I don't post a whole lot but I keep coming back for the entertainment. Tmcckeon, GT_ME, and rppearso....This is great. Best entertainment on the web.

my company requires PE for some positions and doesn't compensate for those. It provides 5% differential otherwise. For a top step Asst Engin here that represents over $400/mo. Because of the incentive, we typically have 100% of engineers with their PEs.

I've been doing the private consulting thing in NYC for 10 years and the only significant salary increases I have gotten have been by threatening to leave and making my company match the offer or by actually leaving.

private consulting firms (at least in NYC) are notoriously bad for not giving their people decent raises. I've been at my current job over 4 years and I got 3.5% raise each year. doesn't really help when the cost of living is going up 5-7% each year. Once I get my 5 years and vested in the company stock ownership program, I am outta here hopefully with a PE to command even more money at my next stop
smile.gif
Yes, I can completely relate with you. I am also in the NYC area. The raises are laughable b/c it's just so expensive to live here. I don't know how they expect folks to make a living. I might have to hop soon as well

Go work for the Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation. You get a $2000 one time bonus(pre tax). Speaking of bouncing soon... :)

Back