How is everyone making out?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With only a few days to go, I'm feeling pretty good with where I'm at. Did pretty well on the NCEES 2001 & 2008 tests. Power cycles are getting a lot better and I've got my tabs working well.

I tried out the SMS books, and the breadth questions were okay, but I threw the TF depth aside in frustration. My feeling after taking a few of their questions was that they either picked a whacky obscure subject, or worded a standard problem so poorly that the difficult part was understanding what they were asking. There was almost nothing in the power cycles section which I anticipate will be a big part of the PM exam. Can't believe they charge what they do for these little pamphlets. Definitely not up to the rest of the PPI library's standard IMO.

Anyhow, I think my knowledge is in good shape so I'm just going to try and keep my problem solving pace up there going into the exam. Tonight I'm going to take both NCEES breadth sections back-to-back, then take the two depth sections on Tuesday & Wednesday. Thursday I'll be packing my gear and relaxing.

Good luck everyone!
I have heard that the T&F 6MS is the worst. The HVAC one was very good - probably the best practice exam tool I had outside of the NCEES 2008 test.

It was at the end of a long study session that I picked it up, so I may re-visit it with a fresh mind to see if my impression is different. But being a pump guy, there were more than a few times that I realised the author had no idea what they were talking about.

Just to be clear Tim, you are saying that during preparation for your 2nd attempt at the PE you scored a 37/40 + 30/40 on the practice exam prior to the real exam correct?
Correct
did you go over the exam to correct mistakes between your first and second attempt?

I took the exam for the first time about a month ago just to get an idea of my standing. I did not review the solutions afterwards because I wanted to simulate a fresh perspective upon retaking the test. I retook the test yesterday and scored 37/40 on the morning and 25/40 in the afternoon. I think I'm right on the edge.

now that I'm reworking the exam I realize it's not nearly as hard as it seemed. It's very hard to stay calm and focused after 6 hours of testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet I worked the NCEES exam start to finish 10 times - with full reviews after each attempt.

I worked the 6MS about the same - the MERM only 3 or 4 times.

I also worked problems from my review course online.

Good luck!

Yep. I did one last run through of NCEES HVAC+R full test, one last run through 6MS HVAC full test, reworked 6MS MD breadth, as well as cleaned up some of my notes and reference materials this past weekend. Probably about 20 hours over the weekend - I was struggling though since I am so burned out. Since Sunday I haven't thought about or looked at anything related to the test. I'm going to do 2 hours or so of some light random review problems tonight and then another hour or two Thursday and that's it.

Yea, I've hit a wall. I did 10 hours yesterday and I'm about done. maybe a few economics problems between today and tomorrow but that's it. Besides, the binding on my MERM is falling apart. If I have to retake this exam I might have to buy another copy. Ridiculous!

Okay, I'm calling it quits until the big day. Just ran through a handful of practice problems tonight and made an error on one worthy of a big note in the MERM. Was running out of juice the past couple of days, so it's time to rest and recuperate for the marathon. Putting the books away felt pretty good actually.

Gonna take the dog for a long walk, then have a beer and watch some TV.

Good luck everyone!

Since Sunday I haven't thought about anything related to the test.
I dont believe this for one minute! :)

Have some comfort food for dinner tonight (I ate macaroni and cheese) - get a good nights rest - do not overdue the coffee in the morning (even getting up to use the bathroom is a distraction) - plan to arrive at the test site early - if you start getting nervous just take a deep breath -

Good luck everyone!

Tim

I obviously can't give specifics but I will say that the NCEES practice tests were not very representative of the real thing (at least compared the test that I took) in my opinion. As I stated earlier in this thread, I flew through the NCEES practice tests in a combined 6 hours or so the first time through and made like an 85%. Without even spending time going over the answers after the first attempt, I took the same NCEES practice test again a month or so later and got a 78/80 and finished in 5 hours. I also took the Lindeburg test which most people said was supposed to be harder than the real test and scored a 33/40 on my depth portion and finished an hour early. I even took the T+F afternoon for kicks and scored in the the thigh 80s on my first attempt.

After all that I felt over-prepared going into the real exam; however, I thought the real exam was harder that expected. I utilized the full 4 hours in the afternoon. They really seemed to shy away from the kinds of questions that 6MS, NCEES, and Lindeburg focused on and put an emphasis on in their practice tests which caught me off guard at first. I think I passed and I felt ready to solve the problems they presented because of my studying but I was very surprised by the problem selection. I also had to kind of turn my head and wince to answer some of the questions because they were WAY oversimplifying problems to the point that it was confusing and easy to over-think them because the way you had to solve the problem required you to make assumptions or jump to conclusions that I wouldn't actually make at work (but I could tell - at least I thought- that is what they were wanting on the problem and it was the only way I saw to get an available answer).

I will also say that I did not feel the morning was even close to being fairly balanced between the 3 disciplines and I overheard several people saying that over lunch. Once again I think I did okay, it just took a lot of hunting through the MERM here.

Overall I answered every question and only completely guessed on 1 out of all 80. Now, I obviously probably solved several wrong :p but I think I am in pretty good shape considering I got an available answer for 79 out of 80.

Took TF for the first time and, like my experience with the FE, was completely spent after around 3 hours in the afternoon, barely generating the energy to check I'd bubbled the answer I'd arrived at. I think the morning went pretty well, the afternoon certainly did not spend much time on my strengths, but I think I did enough to pass. Had a few times where my answer wasn't there, and after checking and re-checking my work I'd had to pick the closest one that wasn't quite close enough to feel confident about. Guess I'll find out in 8-10 weeks... Here's hoping for the 8, because if they miss that, the 10 is never going to happen with the holidays.

Jamiecta, I also guessed on only 1 of the 80. It was in the afternoon of the Machine Design Depth.

HVAC&R

ran out of time at AM portion

bubbled 8 without even reading the question

PM was definetely better for me

bubbled 3-4

I am not sure what is going to happen now

I read cut score cut off score etc and try to figure out how many correct answers are required to pass

I figure that 52 is a fail, 53-54 is hold your breath, 55 is probably OK. 56 you are probably in the clear.

I believe it changes every year. Also 48/80 is extremely low...In all honesty I wouldn't want the passing score to be 48/80.

You are only picking and choosing a few posts out of that thread. There are people in that same thread who stated they got 53/80 and did NOT pass.

All -

I have been where you are right now -

Dont even bother trying to figure what you need to pass - it has been presented as being different every time - NCEES may disregard a problem or two, they may allow multiple answers, ect -

They develope a cut score, they do not tell you what it is, they will inform you of your results in a pass/fail letter.

It is my understanding that the fail letter will come with a breakdown to help you study for the next exam. This breakdown was very valuable to me on my fail as it clearly showed me the areas I was weak in.

If you fail review the breakdown and study your weak areas - if you pass celebrate!

I still cannot believe that I passed - but I do have the license hanging right in my office below my degree!

Relax for at least another six weeks.

Tim

Correct, tmacier. Not passing is not the end of the world. I passed on 4th attempt. Worrying will not change result and it's not healthy. Let it go for now and relax.

I believe it changes every year. Also 48/80 is extremely low...In all honesty I wouldn't want the passing score to be 48/80.

You are only picking and choosing a few posts out of that thread. There are people in that same thread who stated they got 53/80 and did NOT pass.
only these guys are mechanical that is why I picked them.

All -

I have been where you are right now -

Dont even bother trying to figure what you need to pass - it has been presented as being different every time - NCEES may disregard a problem or two, they may allow multiple answers, ect -

They develope a cut score, they do not tell you what it is, they will inform you of your results in a pass/fail letter.

It is my understanding that the fail letter will come with a breakdown to help you study for the next exam. This breakdown was very valuable to me on my fail as it clearly showed me the areas I was weak in.

If you fail review the breakdown and study your weak areas - if you pass celebrate!

I still cannot believe that I passed - but I do have the license hanging right in my office below my degree!

Relax for at least another six weeks.

Tim
I see.

If they allow multiple answers and if they disregard problems (I think there will be one in PM HVAC section or it may be my lack of understanding) then the score will change

Anyway even though it is unhealty I cannot sit back and enjoy the time

It is like waiting a reply from your first date back in your school days

I guess we only have six more weeks to wait

They really seemed to shy away from the kinds of questions that 6MS, NCEES, and Lindeburg focused on and put an emphasis on in their practice tests which caught me off guard at first.
Jamiecta: Did NCEES not administer your exam? I'm curious because you said your exam problems were not similar to the 6MS, NCEES, and MERM problems. Just wanted to clarify, as it seems most agree that the NCEES practice exams are indicative of the exam they took.

4 weeks to go until the April exam! Wooooot wooooooooot! I started taking the MERM practice exam a couple nights ago. I actually have an electronic version of the morning from an older edition of the book and then the full practice exam that goes with the most recent edition. Since most agree that the MERM test is more difficult than the NCEES and/or the real thing, my plan is to start with it and complete the NCEES exams (2001 and 2008/2010) b/t now and exam day. I have not been timing myself, just trying to work through the problems. They are a real pain in the arse and hopefully, significantly more difficult than the actual exam.

To get back at the OP,

- I finished the MERM chapters and practice problems a couple of days ago

- Spending 2-3 hrs every weeknight and about 6-8 hrs on the weekend (~20hrs/week total)

- Plan for the next four weeks is to finish the MERM practice test, 2001 NCEES and 2008 NCEES tests. Oh, I have a Kaplan practice exam as well. I might leave the 2008 NCEES test for last and use it as the simulated test (take it without looking at it before, under real time constraints).

- redo practice tests and/or practice problems to polish up any (read as: the **** ton of) weak areas

- of course, keep tabbing and getting more and more familiar with where important info is.

Back