How I Passed the Thermal / Fluid PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... I started on the Slay the PE practice exam. I did purchase the solutions, which were well explained. The Slay the PE exam was more difficult than the NCEES practice exam, and I am glad I did it second (otherwise I may have given up). I did the same thing with this one - I took my time working the problems. After I finished Slay the PE, I worked through NCEES again and it went much more quickly the second time. Then Slay the PE again. After that, I bought the Engineering Pro Guides practice exam. The difficulty of it was in line with the NCEES practice exam, and it was a confidence booster for me. By the time I finished EngProGuides, I was about 4 weeks out from the exam. At this point, I started over and worked through NCEES again (in pen) and EngProGuides again (also in pen). I didn't have time to work through Slay the PE again, so I photocopied my previous work on those.
Hi @AlliChEME

Congratulations! We're glad you did well. We appreciate the mention in your excellent post.

Hello guys, 

What did you study for the following subjects? 

1. Pipe system analysis (e.g., pipe stress, pipe supports, hoop stress)
2. Joints (e.g., welded, bolted, threaded)

4. Control valves (e.g., flow characteristics, sizing)
5. Actuators (e.g., hydraulic, pneumatic)
6. Connections (e.g., fittings, tubing)

Does MERM cover these topics sufficiently? for example, there is a chapter for pressure vessel in MERM, however, pressure vessel calculations are very broad and the best reference for study is ASME section VIII div.1 which is around 780 pages. 

The PE syllabus that NCEES has is vague and I don't know why!?!

Hello guys, 

Does MERM cover these topics sufficiently? for example, there is a chapter for pressure vessel in MERM, however, pressure vessel calculations are very broad and the best reference for study is ASME section VIII div.1 which is around 780 pages. 

1.  Pipe Systems:  ASHRAE Fundamentals, Chapter 22 Pipe Design

2.  Joints:  ASHRAE Systems, Chapter 46 Pipes, Tubes and Fittings

4.  Control Valves: ASHRAE Systems, Chapter 47 Valves

5.  Actuators:  ASHRAE Systems,  Chapter 47 Valve & https://www.parker.com/literature/Industrial Cylinder/cylinder/cat/english/0106c002.pdf

I have my take on the entire NCEES outline topics and references for each topic on this webpage. 

http://engproguides.com/thermalreferences.html

2.  Joints:  ASHRAE Systems, Chapter 46 Pipes, Tubes and Fittings
Yet in the NCEES TFS Practice exam, the one problem on "joints" is about eccentric loading of the bolted joint of two metal bars. I think for this it is better to review the concepts of mechanical joints: bolted, welded 

I think it would actually pay to review sections 53-11, 53-12, 53-15, 53-20, and 53-21 from MERM

Hello guys, 

If its any consolation, the NCEES practice exam for TFS doesn't have any problems or questions on any of these topics, with the very bizarre exception of one qualitative problem on the eccentric loading of a bolted connection of two metal plates. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys, 

Only studied the parts that were covered by practice exam/practice problems using the MERM. I think if you know how to do a free body diagram and understand basic loading, it will get you far. Remember to know where to get information during the exam if something does show up. 

Only studied the parts that were covered by practice exam/practice problems using the MERM. I think if you know how to do a free body diagram and understand basic loading, it will get you far. Remember to know where to get information during the exam if something does show up. 
Has anyone gone through each and every item in the Exam specifications and noted where to find applicable info/problems (e.g., MERM Section X.X or NCEES Practice Problem XX)?  Was surprised after seeing my Exam Diagnostic that the problem distribution lined up almost exactly to the exam specs.  Felt like my prep course could have also taken a closer look at this, but I digress : )

If not, I'd be willing to give this a shot.  If you awesome exam passers out there think this may be a waste of time, however, let me know.  Thanks!

Has anyone gone through each and every item in the Exam specifications and noted where to find applicable info/problems (e.g., MERM Section X.X or NCEES Practice Problem XX)?  Was surprised after seeing my Exam Diagnostic that the problem distribution lined up almost exactly to the exam specs.  Felt like my prep course could have also taken a closer look at this, but I digress : )

If not, I'd be willing to give this a shot.  If you awesome exam passers out there think this may be a waste of time, however, let me know.  Thanks!
I should also add that the primary objective is to identify these areas in the MERM and/or Practice Problems (NCEES, PPI, etc).  Would like to minimize the purchase of additional references (e.g., ASHRAE) when possible.  Thanks in advance.   

Was surprised after seeing my Exam Diagnostic that the problem distribution lined up almost exactly to the exam specs. 
How detailed are the categories in the diagnostic report? 

For instance, do they say

Principles>Fluid Mechanics 

or do they break it down in more detail as in the exam specs:

Principles>Fluid Mechanics>"Fluid properties"

Principles>Fluid Mechanics>"Compressible Flow"

Principles>Fluid Mechanics>"Incompressible Flow" 

Seriously?

What does your diagnostic report say under: 

Hydraulic and Fluid Applications > Hydraulic and Fluid Equipment > Actuators
NCEES website provides a sample diagnostic report to give an example how they are formatted. But it is best to just cover all the areas listed in the syllabus, because there is no way of knowing what will be thrown in on the exam. That is why the exam is so hard to prepare for. 

From my experience, aside from the MERM, my most valuable reference was a ring binder where I compiled the most commonly used unit conversions and equations I came across while preparing for the exam. I made these sheets after studying for a couple of months, and they were a huge time saver on the exam.

From my experience, aside from the MERM, my most valuable reference was a ring binder where I compiled the most commonly used unit conversions and equations I came across while preparing for the exam. I made these sheets after studying for a couple of months, and they were a huge time saver on the exam.
As a first time prep taker I strongly suggest prepping utilizing Lindeburg's Engineering Unit Conversions as this is the most comprehensive.  

Work the problems over and over again.
I appreciate the write-up but have always been perplexed by folks who work the same problems many times over.  Once I know the "trick" to a problem (or superfluous information), I don't see much value in reworking it more than once or twice.  But maybe that's just me....

I appreciate the write-up but have always been perplexed by folks who work the same problems many times over.  Once I know the "trick" to a problem (or superfluous information), I don't see much value in reworking it more than once or twice.  But maybe that's just me....
For me, doing the problems over and over again (3 to 4 times) helped me ingrain the steps for certain types of problems and it also helped me memorize a lot of equations, which saves a lot of time. Also, doing the problems over and over again means do one pass it, and do another pass at it a week or two later. By then you may have forgot part of the steps, but the 3rd or 4th pass you should just know what to do.  Everyone studies differently though. 

Appreciate your post here @mckenz007. The only thing I would caution others about your post is regarding steam tables. The steam tables in the MERM were definitely NOT enough for my exam and a lot of time could have been wasted interpolating, when it was a simple look up.  Can you do it without them? Yes. Would a person be better served with a better set of tables? Absolutely. Since there are excellent free tables available, I see no reason why someone would not study with and bring more complete tables to the exam, for use.  Here are your best bets for both standard and SI unit steam tables (both free):

Here is a link for the best Imperial units table I could find (I did a lot of searching) http://www.tuner.tw/omega%20cd/zsection/STEAM_TA.PDF  and a GREAT compilation of SI units (tables 1, 2, and 3) here: https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/srd/NISTIR5078.htm
Does anyone know if the PDF from the tuner website has a new link? I can't seem to find the Imperial units table that was mentioned here.

Does anyone know if the PDF from the tuner website has a new link? I can't seem to find the Imperial units table that was mentioned here.
Hi Doug, I can't find those quickly so I just scanned my copy and posted it up on a burner google drive account:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qrTbLmf5TUG0GZEAJx1aK_YGDAAE9yKM

They were a generational copy before I got them. Now you have a few sparse notes of my own added in. Still appear to be readable though.

Hope this helps.

And here's the original:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-9pRcKXjVBtAi_OG70YJXXa55DB492OF

This is an old thread, but if anyone is still reading it, be sure to realize that the exam format is changing to the computer-based test after October of 2019 (for Mechanical).  This is why I encourage everyone to consider taking their exam this year

You can see the study plan that I used back in April 2016.  Keep in mind that there have been some specification changes since I took the exam though.

Back