How does your state handle "re-tests"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kinda like the notion that you can take it as many times as you want.

You get the one guy at every firm who has taken it 14 times and still not passed.

It's like it's not really summer until Joe Schmoe finds out he failed again.

My boss told me about a guy he worked with in the 70s at his first job out of college. The guy took the PE 13 times and never passed.

My boss passed on the first attempt.

If I were in that position, I'd feel a little uncomfortable. I'd want to be proud of my accomplisment but not rub it in the poor guy's face.

we had two guys at my old office take it about 5 times each, a lot of people made fun of them behind there back. I do believe in karma so I just tried to be supportive.

They had to wait a year to take it I think, but when they took it the 5th time, thats when they changed it to multiple choice and they both passed.

I was happy for them (hopefully Karma will remember)

Yeah,

I think its jacked up to make fun of people behind their backs about something like that. These goons at my office talk smack about everyone behind their backs- I mean really negative stuff- but act nice in front of them.

Ed

Last edited:
Massachusetts allows three attempts to pass under a single application. i.e. for "re-tests" you are pre-qualified and need only send in the test fee to take the test. If you don't pass after three tries you must re-submit the complete application including work experience and references and demonstrate to the board some additional "experience/education" as to why they should let you sit for it again. I don't believe that the three tries must be on three consecutive exam dates.

I think the limitation is probably fair, but then again it didn't affect me at all.

I hear in Mass. its also a real bitch to get your license by reciprocity.

We have an office in Mass. A couple experienced, long-time PE's from our VT and NH offices had a bitch of a time getting it.

I have heard that to(About MA), Even in Georgia, if you are "old school" and took a PE Exam but didnt have to take an EIT, they wont grant you reciprocity without taking the EIT..

We have a reitred Army General who does marketing for us who cant get his license in our state, because although he took an Exam for his PE, I cant recall the state, but it was like 30 years ago, he never took an EIT so they wont give him a PE in this state.

For that situation it seems very retarded...

In Georgia you are elligible to be a PE after 16 years without a degree, but they still make you take the EIT & PE Exams... :true:

Taking the EIT is ridiculous for someone with that much experience.

You obviously know the fundamentals of your field, and the other stuff is irrelevant to you by that point.

:die:

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking the EIT is ridiculous for someone with that much experience.
You obviously know the fundamentals of your field, and the other stuff is irrelevant to you by that point.

:die:
I agree. Anyone that can sit down and pass this test (PE) deserves the title.

:bow: :bow:

yeah I think its kind of dumb. thats why they invented the term "grandfather clause"

Wow, I just found how Oklahoma does retests.

C. A candidate failing an examination may apply for the next examination, which may be granted upon payment of an application fee established by the Board, provided the failing grade on the examination is equal to or above fifty (50) points. An applicant failing an examination by a score of less than fifty (50) points shall not be admitted to reexamination except by an approved application for an examination administered not earlier than one (1) year after the failed exam was administered. Before the readmission to the examination, in the event of a second failure, the applicant must provide the Board with evidence of having acquired the necessary additional knowledge to qualify.

D. The applicant shall pay all fees established by the Board for examination documents and grading. The Board will advise the applicant of the fees required, and the required fees shall be paid by the applicant in advance of the examination.

I wasn't to worried about failing until I saw the (50). Surely I scored more than fifty. :suicide:

I think Missouri is one of the "lucky" states for PE examinees... I think.

I hadn't researched it until I saw this thread, we have unlimited attempts available.

I hope I'm not still at this 15x later. :(

Back