How does your state handle "re-tests"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
In Ga we get 4 "consecutive" tries to pass the exam, once you take it the first time, you get 4 tries in a row to pass, even if you have a conflict and cant take it the next immidiate time it is offered.

While I think 4 tries should be more than enough, I am not sold on making them consecutive, some people (Like me) are in there late 20's early 30's when they take the exam, you have kids, work responsibilities, etc, that migh make you miss a consecutive try, which they way I understand it is if you cant make the next exam, that counts as your "second" try regardless if you actually take the exam or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure to what you are referring. Are you saying that you are only allowed 4 consecutive tries? What happens after that? Is this a state ruling or accross the board?

Please eleborate on the reference.... :bow:

Ed

I thought it was on the ELS (or NCEES) website, but you have 4 consecutve tries, and after that you have to take a certain amount of college level coursework to be readmitted (and you have to wait a year or so)

Maybe its just in Georgia, Let me look into it?

In my state, (Wild and Wonderful West Virginia) we get 2 tries, and you have to show the board completed coursework, and petition them to let you try for more.

I guess I need to check Louisiana's rules.

I'm torn about it. We went through this killer application process, we studied and prepared for the test, we went through this grueling test. Who wants to do it 4 times? I say if someone passed all the prerequisites and wants to subject themselves to this thing 10 times, let 'em at it. They may be crazy and we may not want crazy PEs, but there is currently nothing in the laws against people with mental issues (that I know of).

Maybe if someone has to take it 4 or more times, someone, somewhere should step in to offer advice or something. Maybe NCEES can offer a remedial review course- for a nice fee, of course.

Ed

In Mississippi, the state board enforces a new rule that started in November 2005, that if you've taken the exam more than 3 times without passing, then you can only take the exam once per calendar year.

Hopefully, we won't need to know. I looked at the LA Board website, but didn't find anything. It might still be there and I just haven't found it yet.

Is there a SC site?

Ed

SC Board of Professional Engineers

From the Florida's Board of PE's

61G15-21.007 Re-examination. If an applicant fails three times to pass the examination, the applicant must take additional courses in order to reapply for examination. The applicant must submit to the Board of Professional Engineers transcripts for the enrollment and completion of twelve (12) college credit hours of college level courses in the applicant?s area of deficiency. For applicants to take Part I of the engineer examination, such additional courses shall be undergraduate college courses in higher mathematics, basic sciences or engineering as described in Rule 61G15-20.007(2)(a), (B), and (d), F.A.C. For applicants to take Part II of the engineer examination, such additional courses shall be upper level or higher courses in engineering, as defined in Rule 61G15-20.007(2)(d), F.A.C. Specific Authority 455.217(2) FS. Law Implemented 455.217(2), 471.011, 471.013, 471.015, FS. History--New 1-8-80, Amended 8-25-81, Formerly 21H-21.07, 21H-21.007, Amended 2-14-95, 5-22-01, 12-10-02, 2-3-05..

When I was living in Jacksonville, a guy I knew at work had taken the exam 5 times without passing (the first two were before the 3 strikes came into effect) so he took it a few times in Georigia. I think he eventually passed it in Georgia.

I've taken the exam a couple times before, but didn't put in any study time at all. I actually sat down and put in, probably over 100 hours for April's exam. After seeing the difference studying made, if I can't pass after three legitimate, i.e. serious study time, tries I think I'd be looking into some sort of help anyway because I must be doing something wrong.

Checked the Louisiana laws (or rules, can't remember which). Anyway, it was vague and mentioned that application to the board and possible appearance before the board might be required.

I called and they said its just a matter of sending in the $50, but that the pass/fail letter would give instructions if you failed.

I asked if there were any limits to the number of re-tests. She said that as of now, there was no limit and no real rule in place, but that the board would be discussing this issue in the future. She went on to say that more than likely, nothing would change until at least next year!

Ed

Last edited:
I live in PA and I'm pretty certain we don't have a limit.

I personally know some guys that have failed the EIT 6 or 7 times and they just keep signing up and keep taking it...???

I was aware however that some states have different rules in regards to this. I think FL and some other states have provisions such that if you fail 3 times then you have to take a year off before you can attempt again (don't quote me on this...I don't live in FL).

I had two coworkers who just took the test in April for the third time and they didn't have to take any additional classes. I checked on the WV pe bd. web site and it said you may have too. I guess I should not expect anything more than vague when it comes to the PE test.

Back