How does your firm handle licensure?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9 hours ago, NHPE said: My employer did not pay for anything or give any time off. It was incredibly difficult to even manage to make it to the exam on Friday (which is why it should be held on Saturday). It's not how they roll and they view it as investing in yourself. It's not that they're unsupportive but they way they view it is that if it really matters to you, you will do what's necessary to take it and pass it. 
While I do agree that taking the test would be an "investment" in yourself, an employer also benefits from your new status since they can bill at a higher rate for your work. I think that a PE ought to get rewarded for their efforts since they are making the company more money now. 
I understand the investment in yourself argument but this increases the talent of the staff and benefits the company directly. Any company that refuses to fairly compensate their staff risks losing all their talented staff. My last employer had that attitude and now they are losing so much money because all the good people left. If you are good at what you do, then you shouldn't have to do it at a discount.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, NHPE said: My employer did not pay for anything or give any time off. It was incredibly difficult to even manage to make it to the exam on Friday (which is why it should be held on Saturday). It's not how they roll and they view it as investing in yourself. It's not that they're unsupportive but they way they view it is that if it really matters to you, you will do what's necessary to take it and pass it. 
While I do agree that taking the test would be an "investment" in yourself, an employer also benefits from your new status since they can bill at a higher rate for your work. I think that a PE ought to get rewarded for their efforts since they are making the company more money now. 
Agreed, at least in the form of reimbursement for the exam fee and time off for taking the exam

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

^ That is the minimum that they should do. If they don't understand why that is important then they are missing the big picture.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not all industries.  

Not all industries.  
This is true, but overgeneralizing, successful companies are usually ones who realize their most important asset is their staff and investment in their staff should be a top priority.  

My company paid for a review class (GA Tech).  They also pay for my annual renewal.  We also have several internal classes that count toward my PDH requirement.

Varies by employer and function. Not all employers value employees with PEs - it's something the employee values because perhaps in the future they wish to move to an employer where it is valued to obtain an additional premium or to a different role inside the company where it is needed. It's not needed in my case, the company does not bill for my hours, and because of the preceding two is not not valued by my employer. Also my salary was enough that not being receiving a PE premium was not an issue for me because it was clear in what I was being paid that they did value me highly with or without a PE. It definitely does make me look better and impresses the right people so it could be viewed as a type of security/insurance or a means to continue moving up the corporate ladder.

our company is very supportive on getting PE. They encourage all engineers should take the PE.

They paid for review course, application fee, exam fee (after you pass), continue education course, renewal fee and immediate bump in salary after you passed. 

My company pays for the testing fees if you pass. If you do not, then you don't get reimbursed. They also pay for approved educational courses, up to $500 per year. 

Back