How did you study with young kids at home?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I can tell you is you have to strike a balance. I took and passed the PE (Civil Structural) this past April after having been out of school 9 years. I have 3 kids under 3 and my wife is in school for physical therapy. Lots of studying over time and tons of help from my wife and family. I can honestly say that at the end of it I looked back and realized I didn't kill myself studying as I have seen otehrs do. No crazy all nighters or cram sessions. Just start early, bite off a little bit at a time and realize you need to know where to find refences more so than you need to know every equation. The morning questions are easy if if your intimately familar with your refernces. The math is middle school simple most of the time, just tab everything and know where to go. Mostly though, do not stress and make sure to spend time with your family along the way The test was more simplistic than I thought it would be, but I took all 4 hours both sessions.

FYI - I guessed at 12 questions in the afternoon and 1 in the morning. Hope this helps.

I waited until a month before the PE to start studying, two weeks after my second kid was born so I was on maternity leave, so I can't speak to studying with a toddler while working full-time. However, you mentioned you're taking care of your daughter solo on weeknights and Saturdays. When I was taking care of both kids all day and trying to study, I set boundaries with my 18 month old in order to carve out time to study. In the afternoon while the newborn napped, I told my older kid that the next three hours were "quiet time". She could do anything she wanted - take a nap, eat a snack, play in her playroom, but the only thing she wasn't allowed to do was bother Mommy. She screamed and cried at first but then got over it as she realized Mommy always followed through on her promise to play with her after quiet time was over. Three hours doesn't sound like much, but when it's concentrated study time, it makes a huge difference over time. I passed the national exam and both CA-specific exams on my first attempt.

I agree with RG's approach to simply not make family a priority for a few months. The fact that you value your time with your family enough to pose this question means you're not going to make a habit out of putting other things first, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Back