Hot "Green" topics for the exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

170B

Reaction score
Increasingly, I see references to new "green" topics like LED lighting, Energy efficiency, on the Power exam in addition to the ol' standbys.

What have people seen?

What are the questions like?

What references needed?

How to study?

Thanks

Increasingly, I see references to new "green" topics like LED lighting, Energy efficiency, on the Power exam in addition to the ol' standbys.

What have people seen?

What are the questions like?

What references needed?

How to study?

Thanks
Are LED's efficient?

LED's are efficient and last a lot longer, but their are still issues with the cost to produce. It is just a matter of time.

I don't recall any "green" questions that required particular knowlege beyond the topics listed in the NCEES guide. Power questions may list a device type (or not) like in the NEC questions. The EERM and/or Power reference manual seem to cover about 80%-90% of the exam questions.

The only green questions you could find probably is how much payback you would get from changing for example 1 for 1 400w hi bay metal halide fixtures for fluorescent hi bays!...which is something that many factories and warehouses are doing!! But some times the payoff is not that big if the place is small or verry small amunt of light fixtures

Last edited by a moderator:
The green certification is the LEEDS
Leeds is a city in the UK. The certification is called LEED.

I don't remember any 'green' questions on the test, but a payback calc wouldn't be unreasonable. I would learn your different lighting technologies and which are more efficient than others (high pressure vs low pressure sodium, metal halide, etc).

Do not ignore payback problems...they usually come in some way in the real exam...but they dont provide examples in the original NCEES sample problems!

Back