Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, any progress on this Fox? Inquiring minds need to know.

Ya, the last rain storm produce similar results as what was described in my first post. So water is definitely coming down from above at some point, just haven't had time to narrow it down as to where exactly.

Ya, the last rain storm produce similar results as what was described in my first post. So water is definitely coming down from above at some point, just haven't had time to narrow it down as to where exactly.
Rain from above is better then sewage from below. Good luck tracking it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated photo below after a good storm moved through this evening. Nice trail of water from the bottom of the pipe again to the floor drain. But I can see the slight water leak from all the way up near the seal where the pipe passes through the 1st floor. Question now becomes, how close is that pipe to whatever roof vent there is? Maybe I'll get up in the attic to look around and see what I can see.

2jbtuv5.jpg

1 trip to the roof along with 5 tubes of roofing cement = no more leaks. (Until next summer.)

I would bet its the little boot / sleeve that goes around the vent stack pipe at the roofline has come dislodged. If you can get to it with a good tube of roofing repair caulk that might do it. I had to do that on a townhouse I owned once...

Thanks for all the responses. So the local hardware store should have something that's actually classified as "roofing caulk"? Not just any only silicon sealer will do?

Go for the roofing caulk. The silicon sealer likely won't hold up well to the sun and heat.

Here in the upper-midwest it's called roofing cement. I had to fix a roof leak a week or so ago. (Shingles did not overhang like they should have.)

The standard type is black and is asphalt based. I think I paid $2.25 a tube at Menards. There is a clear kind that was something like $8 a tube.

Just remember that this stuff will need some upkeep even if it is "all weather."

so just saw this thread and my first thought when you said it only "leaked" in a heavy rain was that it was running down the vent pipe that went up to the roof. Putting goop/roofing cement/tar/ whatever you want to call it is the quick and dirty fix. Like RG said there should be a boot at the base of the vent pie that is sealed to the pie at the top edge and then flares out under the shingles below. See if you can see any tears or holes in that boot. If so, you might consider having a roofer do it correctly or you could take the Q&D route. Good luck.

So a few months ago we ended getting a replacement mattress to get us by a few years.. So wife bought one from ( costco(we actually like it) king size mattress in a box....

She calls, says it's heavy... I say "I'll be Home in 3 hours and will take it upstairs then".

So I get this text from the wife: (You can see the box where it "landed" down the stairs)

9370c71ffe25036bfaf63992fabdc828.jpg

I guess she lost that battle... But maybe she had this planned all along... So we decided to replace it with the iron balusters (total cost for them was around $200?).. Defin have to say it was nice to get rid of the 90's almond handrail and white spindles.....

we still are going to restrain the other handrail to match. and this pic was just as I put the balusters in and was about to epoxy / level them.. we need to put on one more stain coat. Hard to tell in the before pic but the the top rail was busted so we had to replace that.. This was really pretty easy to do, just painful cause it takes a couple of weekends while you wait for the stain to dry and such..

ab6585861189e86ac5ff32ba59bf5e72.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda looks like the destruction brought on by my wife.......

yeah apparently that wife swapping isn't permanent. kind of wish we were told that ahead of time..

Back