Home Beer - oops

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just basically coiled copper with some plastic tubing, yet it is oddly expensive.

In the wintertime I used to just stick my brew kettle out in the snow. But believe it or not the chiller works much faster.

It's not that expensive, and if you want to cool it even faster, just buy one of those cheap submersible pumps they sell at the hardware store for garden fountains and such, and use it to direclty pump and recylce the ice water through the chiller from the cooler. My brewing friend does that, and even under tropical conditions, he can cool the wort to within specs and under the recommended time. Sure it's a little more money, but not that much, especially if you're going to be doing this more often.

^ I use a counterflow wort chiller. You connect one end to the faucet and run cold water through it, the other end wastes heated water down the drain. It basically acts as a heat exchanger.

FermtechWortChiller.jpg
I made my own and now I swear by it! BTW, I bottled my Java Stout this weekend. We'll see how it turned out in about 2-4 weeks.

I bought 25' of copper tubing to make a chiller a few years back.

Oddly enough, I'm thinking about selling the tubing for $$$ though.

^ We watch COPS religiously, and we've seen a couple of copper thefts shown in recent times.
Nice to see some homebrewers on here. I always thought I was one of the few oddball engineers who liked my adult beverages. Just brewed up a blueberry wheat for the Mrs. Popped the first one a few nights ago and I have to admit it was pretty tasty for a fruity beer, but I am more of an IPA guy. I like my beer like I like my women, cold and bitter. Just kidding.

I currently have the heat turned down in my house to about 65 degrees...for the sole purpose of keeping my batch of beer in the recommended temperature range for fermentation.

I currently have the heat turned down in my house to about 65 degrees...for the sole purpose of keeping my batch of beer in the recommended temperature range for fermentation.
You win an award for 'Devotion to Homebrew'!

I've had my heat off for weeks because I don't want to pay for the oil. Do I get an award for "Devotion to Stinginess"?
No your get the Al Gore Golden Tree Lapel Pin.

As far as having the heat down to 65 degrees. That would be tropical in my house. That is usually the higher setting.

I've had my heat off for weeks because I don't want to pay for the oil. Do I get an award for "Devotion to Stinginess"?
No, you either get a "Treehugger Award" (for not contributing to the mass burning of fossil fuels), or a "Scrooge Award" for being greedy!

Back on topic...you got anything going right now, VTE (homebrew-wise)?

BTW, Cappy: Carbon burning bastard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on topic...you got anything going right now, VTE (homebrew-wise)?
No - I put it off for a few weeks, and if I brew anything now, it will be ready just as I'm moving. Probably not the smartest idea to move 5 gallons of sticky liquids under pressure. I kept all my nice self-sealing bottles, but most of the regular bottles I collected over the years.

Though I could just leave it in the fridge here and consume it in the 2 weekends I'll be back here. Once for the wife's graduation, when I'll have 6-7 people over to drink it, and the following weekend when we will do the final cleaning here. Beer and housework just go together.

I've also got all weekend to myself to make some...

I've got 12, 32 oz. self sealing bottles and 12, regular 22 oz. bottles I kept. That's just right for a batch. Hmm...what to make?

Back