Help with phone interview

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Telephone interviews are usually fairly straightforward and are mainly used to screen poor candidates out of an interview process, rather than to test high quality ones. Often, all recruiters will be looking for from candidates during a telephone interview will be a calm, confident telephone manner and an intelligent set of responses to interview questions.

This wouldn't bode well for me. I have a weak, timid voice on the phone and I'm usually not very engaging. In fact, sometimes I tend to dose off during phone calls. Something about the telephone makes me tired.

Here are a few of the more common questions:

• Tell me about yourself?
  • Why did you apply for this job?
  • Why do you want to leave your current job? Or Why did you leave your last job?
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
  • Why should we invite you for an on-site interview?

• Tell me about yourself? I like beer.
  • Why did you apply for this job? So I can Buy Beer
  • Why do you want to leave your current job? Or Why did you leave your last job? They didn't have beer.
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Drinking beer.
  • Why should we invite you for an on-site interview? I think you might have beer...

• Tell me about yourself? I like beer.
  • Why did you apply for this job? So I can Buy Beer
  • Why do you want to leave your current job? Or Why did you leave your last job? They didn't have beer.
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Drinking beer.
  • Why should we invite you for an on-site interview? I think you might have beer...
This reminds me of:

Dos, a beer, a Mexican beer

Ray, the guy that buys me beer

Me, the guy that drinks the beer

Fa' a long long way for beer

So, I think I'll have a beer

La, la la la la la la

Tea, no thanks I'll have a beer

And it brings us back to dos dos dos dos

I would definitely research the company. Nothing makes interviewers happier than seeing that you are really interested in the company and their work

Here are few tips to face phone interview :-

[SIZE=large]1) Do a homework: [/SIZE]Just look for various kinds of questions and answers that you would be shot at by the interviewer. Practice it well and try to be fluent and confident in English. The only advantage you have in this kind of an interview is invisibility.

[SIZE=large]2) Choose a good phone and a spot: [/SIZE]You will definitely get to know about the timings before hand and therefore be prepared with an isolated spot without any disturbance and use a good phone for the call preferably land line.

[SIZE=large]3) Ask questions wisely: [/SIZE]After the telephonic interview round completes the interviewer will ask will invite for your questions. So use this opportunity wisely by asking questions about the role and about the company’s new strategy and plan. This will show how serious you are about the company.

[SIZE=large]For more Best Interview Tips Visit Here: top-5-tips-increase-chances-getting-hired[/SIZE]

[SIZE=large]4) Be positive: [/SIZE]Optimism and confidence is half way towards success. Though there is no visibility, the interviewer can sense your mood through your voice. Your voice will reflect your mindset and behaviour. So, feel good about yourself and be show how confident you are.

These tips will surely help you with Phone interview.

Here are few tips to face phone interview :-

[SIZE= large]1) Do a homework: [/SIZE]Just look for various kinds of questions and answers that you would be shot at by the interviewer. Practice it well and try to be fluent and confident in English. The only advantage you have in this kind of an interview is invisibility.

[SIZE= large]2) Choose a good phone and a spot: [/SIZE]You will definitely get to know about the timings before hand and therefore be prepared with an isolated spot without any disturbance and use a good phone for the call preferably land line.

[SIZE= large]3) Ask questions wisely: [/SIZE]After the telephonic interview round completes the interviewer will ask will invite for your questions. So use this opportunity wisely by asking questions about the role and about the company’s new strategy and plan. This will show how serious you are about the company.

[SIZE= large]For more Best Interview Tips Visit Here: top-5-tips-increase-chances-getting-hired[/SIZE]

[SIZE= large]4) Be positive: [/SIZE]Optimism and confidence is half way towards success. Though there is no visibility, the interviewer can sense your mood through your voice. Your voice will reflect your mindset and behaviour. So, feel good about yourself and be show how confident you are.

These tips will surely help you with Phone interview.
Yes!  I agree 100%!!!!  Definitely "be fluent and confident in English"!  That is precisely why you should "do a homework", "get to know about the timings", and, above all else, "be show how confident you are"! 

Practice Interviewing

Talking on the phone isn't as easy as it seems. As with an in-person interview, practice can be helpful. Not only will this help you rehearse answers to common phone <delete> but it will also help you realize if you have a lot of verbal ticks, fail to enunciate, or speak either too fast or too slow.

Get Ready for the Call

Before the call, confirm all the details including the date, time and who you will be talking to. Be sure you know whether the interviewer is calling you or if you need to make the call.

Phone Interview Tips

1) Keep your resume  in clear view, on the top of your desk, or tape it to the wall near the phone, so it's at your fingertips when you need to answer questions.

• Have a short list of your accomplishments available to review.
  • Have a pen and paper handy for note taking.
  • Turn call-waiting off, so your call isn't interrupted.
  • If the time isn't convenient, ask if you could talk at another time and suggest some alternatives.
  • Clear the room — evict the kids and the pets. Turn off the stereo and the TV. Close the door.

• Do's and Don'ts During the Phone Interview

• Don't smoke, chew gum, eat, or drink.
  • Do keep a glass of water handy, in case you need to wet your mouth.
  • Do smile. Smiling will project a positive image to the listener and will change the tone of your voice. It can also be helpful to stand during the interview, since this typically gives your voice more energy and enthusiasm.
  • Do speak slowly and enunciate clearly.
  • Do use the person's title (Mr. or Ms. and their last name.) Only use their first name if they ask you to.
  • Don't interrupt the interviewer.
Find More :- <delete> which will help for you to ace the phone interview.

Use a quiet, comfortable, and private space with no distractions so you can focus on the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Practice Interviewing

Talking on the phone isn't as easy as it seems. As with an in-person interview, practice can be helpful. Not only will this help you rehearse answers to common phone <delete> but it will also help you realize if you have a lot of verbal ticks, fail to enunciate, or speak either too fast or too slow.

Get Ready for the Call

Before the call, confirm all the details including the date, time and who you will be talking to. Be sure you know whether the interviewer is calling you or if you need to make the call.

Phone Interview Tips

1) Keep your resume  in clear view, on the top of your desk, or tape it to the wall near the phone, so it's at your fingertips when you need to answer questions.

• Have a short list of your accomplishments available to review.
  • Have a pen and paper handy for note taking.
  • Turn call-waiting off, so your call isn't interrupted.
  • If the time isn't convenient, ask if you could talk at another time and suggest some alternatives.
  • Clear the room — evict the kids and the pets. Turn off the stereo and the TV. Close the door.

• Do's and Don'ts During the Phone Interview

• Don't smoke, chew gum, eat, or drink.
  • Do keep a glass of water handy, in case you need to wet your mouth.
  • Do smile. Smiling will project a positive image to the listener and will change the tone of your voice. It can also be helpful to stand during the interview, since this typically gives your voice more energy and enthusiasm.
  • Do speak slowly and enunciate clearly.
  • Do use the person's title (Mr. or Ms. and their last name.) Only use their first name if they ask you to.
  • Don't interrupt the interviewer.
Find More :- <delete> which will help for you to ace the phone interview.

Use a quiet, comfortable, and private space with no distractions so you can focus on the interview.
Ok, yeah, we get it.

I deleted your links.  If you want to be an advertiser on EB, you can learn how to here:  http://engineerboards.com/index.php?/forum/59-advertising-on-engineerboards/  

Back