Hello from VA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HITMANVQ35

Reaction score
Hello all,

I graduated from University of Maryland in 06' w/BSME.

Since I've worked in Building Automation Industry and Patent Office (I know big mistake!)

So now I'm trying to get back into engineering, looking into HVAC/MEP firms. How hard do you think it will be to find an entry level position in VA/MD/DC area for someone with little AUtoCad experience, without EIT, but building automation experience?

I'm kinda of scared aobut this economy but I can't stand the Patent Office anymore, i regret ever coming here and I'm depressed every day at work =(

Hello all,
I graduated from University of Maryland in 06' w/BSME.

Since I've worked in Building Automation Industry and Patent Office (I know big mistake!)

So now I'm trying to get back into engineering, looking into HVAC/MEP firms. How hard do you think it will be to find an entry level position in VA/MD/DC area for someone with little AUtoCad experience, without EIT, but building automation experience?

I'm kinda of scared aobut this economy but I can't stand the Patent Office anymore, i regret ever coming here and I'm depressed every day at work =(
I have a friend of mine recently laid off from his job and going to join you guys in the patent office!! What is wrong with patent examining job?

Why don't you come to career fairs in UMD. That's the best place to look for companies offering entry level positions.

BTW all I know is that a Terp engineer can always get the job DONE! B)

Good luck on your job search...

I have a friend of mine recently laid off from his job and going to join you guys in the patent office!! What is wrong with patent examining job?
Why don't you come to career fairs in UMD. That's the best place to look for companies offering entry level positions.

BTW all I know is that a Terp engineer can always get the job DONE! B)

Good luck on your job search...

sorry to hear about your friend, tell him to stay away! It's a black hole for engineers, nothing we do is technical, your basically searching for prior arts, and writing and making rejections all day. Which industry was he working in?

Welcome to EB, and good luck with job search. I know how it is to be miserable at work, but my situation is very good right now. Don't give up. Just be patient.

sorry to hear about your friend, tell him to stay away! It's a black hole for engineers, nothing we do is technical, your basically searching for prior arts, and writing and making rejections all day. Which industry was he working in?

He is a mechanical engineer. He couldn't find any job in DC area but USPTO! ...

Don't quit your current job in this economy till you find a solid company with a good number of projects in hand and backlogs...

Back