Happy Test Month

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not thrilled about the drive back either way.  The other issue is that test day is also my birthday, and I'd kinda like to spend a wee bit of time with my family.  Although I have already told them I will be observing my birthday in November this year. 

Also be sure to think about what food you want to bring with you day of. I went with a lunch that didn't need to be heated (it was a lentil salad recipe over greens that didn't necessarily need to be refrigerated either), and what snacks you might want that aren't loud to eat. Also, drinks! Including the first drink you'll have after you're done with the exam, if ya catch my drift. ;)
Might want to check about snacks.

The site I tested at didn't even allow gum.  

I finished over an hour early so it didn't bother me that much.  I was also fortunate to be pretty familiar with the test location so I found a great Chinese food place and decompressed before heading into the afternoon :)

You can bring water into the test however they require that you put your water bottle on the floor and not on the table.  4 hours is a long time to sit and not use the restroom (at least for some of us) so try and not drink too much water and/or coffee in the morning because you will use up valuable test time using the restroom. 

Wait, what? No snacks? That's crazy! I think you could get in trouble for noisy snacks (think packaging, and crunch factor), but you could definitely have them. Ditto to water bottles needed to be put on the floor.

Food and water were big deals for me. I always have a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack, so I knew I was going to need them for the exam. I would have been one hangry exam taker otherwise.

I also took bathroom breaks. That was way better for me than being uncomfortably dehydrated or holding it. It's only a couple of minutes. Hopefully that's not the difference between you finishing the exam or not.

22089294_356090651485607_6296616522211950567_n.jpg

For the CA exams (Seismic and Survey), since they are only 2.5 hours, I was ok with no snacks, drinks, or bathroom breaks.  But if you did want a drink or a snack, you had to raise your hand and ask.  They would make you get up and walk to the outside aisle, consume your drink/snack, and then go back to your seat.  I did without (due to time).  But now the exams are CBT so I am not sure how that has changed?

For the 8-hr PE (and even the FE), I could not make it without going to the bathroom at least once per 4 hours.  Probably dumb but I gave up the time for each 4 hour period (once am, once PM) to go to the bathroom.  As for snacks, I don't think I had any.  As for water, I think they let you have water but you had to keep it on the floor.  I think that is what I did.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This could vary based on discipline. For Civil Construction, there are 8 design standards, and then you figure 1 or 2 general references for morning,  and possibly 1 or 2 general references for afternoon,  along with any topic specific reference books. That can easily be around 15 books.
For civil construction I had one backpack and that was it. I had a binder that encompassed a lot of topics that I mainly used in addition to the CERM. 

You can bring water into the test however they require that you put your water bottle on the floor and not on the table.  4 hours is a long time to sit and not use the restroom (at least for some of us) so try and not drink too much water and/or coffee in the morning because you will use up valuable test time using the restroom. 
I took the test 8 months pregnant. At least I had an obvious reason to use the restroom so many times. Otherwise they would probably have to check the restroom for contraband material 😂 Definitely wasted valuable time going back and forth in a large room.

Thanks! I can't believe it's almost here! I've put in a lot more study time than the first time around, but I am still really anxious! I think I will spend the next two weeks loading up on problems.

I definitely got up to pee. at about 2.5 hours in, I needed to stand up anyway! Good luck! Try to do things that help calm your anxiety and definitely do not study the night before, dare I say 2 nights before!!

I took the test 8 months pregnant. At least I had an obvious reason to use the restroom so many times. Otherwise they would probably have to check the restroom for contraband material 😂 Definitely wasted valuable time going back and forth in a large room.
yikes! go you! I would probably have requested to sit adjacent to the restroom in some super secret special accommodations so I could be efficient in my relief! lol!

For the CA exams (Seismic and Survey), since they are only 2.5 hours, I was ok with no snacks, drinks, or bathroom breaks.  But if you did want a drink or a snack, you had to raise your hand and ask.  They would make you get up and walk to the outside aisle, consume your drink/snack, and then go back to your seat.  I did without (due to time).  But now the exams are CBT so I am not sure how that has changed?
It's the same, except probably worse since you are in Prometric center. You have to raise your hand and then wait to sign out, and then sign back in, all while the clock is running. I recommend trying to last that whole time without taking a break.

Though, yeah, I got very thirsty and mildly hungry while also having to use the restroom during those exams. Probably two (seismic + surveying) of the more uncomfortable experiences in my life.

It's the same, except probably worse since you are in Prometric center. You have to raise your hand and then wait to sign out, and then sign back in, all while the clock is running. I recommend trying to last that whole time without taking a break.

Though, yeah, I got very thirsty and mildly hungry while also having to use the restroom during those exams. Probably two (seismic + surveying) of the more uncomfortable experiences in my life.
EW and my fingers dont ever want to fingerprint right at prometric. i'm like i'll let you come in the bathroom with me if you just let me pee and come back without spending 5 minutes trying to get my fingerprint to read on the way in and out. 

At NJIT in New Jersey, they used to have someone srationed in the mens bathroom  (during the rest period) to make sure you don't talk to one another. 

Oh man, if it were me, I probably wouldn't be super excited about a 3 hour drive back home after the exam. I had about an hour (with traffic), and I couldn't wait for it to be done! My brain was zapped.
Same here, I was stuck in traffic for about 90 min on my way home. The mental exhaustion was bad but the worst part is being alone with my thoughts and anxieties about the test and no outlet for release.

I studied so much the past few months, but now that its almost test day I'm not sure what I learned anymore.  Hopefully I can put everything together these last few weeks while I organize my binders and textbooks with flag notes.   Good luck everyone

Backpack with maybe eight books in there.  Ended up using just the MERM and the conversion book.  Guy next to me had a full size suitcase.
Most of us had the suitcase.   It felt like terminal B at Logan. 

Back