Gun poll

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many rounds of ammunition do you currently possess?

• none

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • less than 1,000

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 1,001-2,500

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 2,501-5,000

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 5,001-10,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10,001-15,000

• >15,000=enough to hold off a determined force for at least 3 days

• Total voters
.22 rifle35 marlin (my hunting rifle since I was a kid)

12 ga shotgun

9 mm pistol

357 magmum (sort of overkill,but dont want to part with it)

also have a replica 1863 enflied musket .58 cal

my list is standard southern issue to any 13 year old.
I have an Indian Territory version of that list issued gradually from 8 years old to 11 years old. Many would want to banish my parents to jail forever today by letting me go hunting all day with a shotgun walking 7 miles from home and returning by sundown with a couple of cokes, a sandwich, and some cookies in my game pouch. Of course I had my English Setter, Sparky, guiding the way. That dog practically raised me, and lived for 16 years, and did a great job for a few cellebrities that would come down just to hunt with him when I was in college.

I like the .270 but in the hills of northern Michigan, there are not as many long shots. So it's a little frustrating in that regard - having the ability but seldom getting the opportunity.
Even worse, rifles are not allowed for deer hunting where I live in central Michigan.

.270 and 30-06 cartridges are nearly the same. Although the 30-06 bullet is far bigger, the casings are almost identical. My mags are labeled 30-06 and they fit / work fine.

30-06 is a little too much for whitetail, in my opinion.
I used to hunt with the .270, and was great beyond 200 yards out to 500 yards. But, for some reason, it had issues with clean kills on deer under 50 yards, and I can count he solid hits on two hands that were lost when I was growing up. I switched to a .243, and haven't had a problem with the close shots or the 400 yard shots with very little recoil. The .270 adn 30-06 are put away for future elk hunts.

I do have a .54Rx7.62 (same as a 30-06 with a different case) that has been nice with no recoil due to the weight, and is fun to reload some crazy loads with. It was a Russian sniper rifle that saw action in WWII that I rebuilt. It had some notches in the stock that I wonder about though. The baynet for it is actually worth more than the gun???

I planning on getting some this weekend and maybe buying a handgun...any recommendations?
I am a big proponent of Glock (simple, reliable, economical, etc) but don't learn with one. It would be akin to learning to drive in a car without brakes. My wife wants to go shooting with me this year. But she's never gone so when we go the first time, I won't bring my handgun.

I would recommend safety lessons and then shooting lessons. Without lessons, you can spend a lot of money on ammo, while doing little but instilling bad habits.

And start with a smaller caliber (9mm or smaller). Your ammo money will get you 50% more practice shots.

I used to hunt with the .270, and was great beyond 200 yards out to 500 yards. But, for some reason, it had issues with clean kills on deer under 50 yards, and I can count the solid hits on two hands that were lost when I was growing up.
Sometimes I think the .270 is so fast that it can go through a close target without the bullet getting a chance to properly expand. My best advice would be to squarely hit the rib you are aiming for. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just two guns for me at the moment...Remington 870 and a S&W Model 36, the Lady Smith that my wife liked the looks of. I think that the later is a good CC weapon.

As soon as some cash frees up I am planning to aquire a Springfield XD, probably .45ACP but still maybe .40 caliber.

You would appreciate an arsenal when the zombies attack.

What I mean about an arsenal is this:

YOU can only shoot 1 to 2 guns at a time.

Once you get more than about 5-6 well chosen weapons it just increases the amount of differing types of ammo you would need to keep on hand.

If someone tells me they have 40+ guns I don't necessarily categorize them as nuts, but they are working their way onto that list.

Why? Firearms = Power, anyone that thinks they need that many to be "safe" has issues.

Not that I disagree with being able to protect oneself, my Girlfriend's shotgun (and 2008 Christmas present) is the 18" 6 shot 3" Chambered Mossberg, with a Tactical Knoxx Stock. I highly recommend one for Zombie attacks.

What I mean about an arsenal is this:
YOU can only shoot 1 to 2 guns at a time.
I was just kidding about the arsenal, my zombie protection consist of 3 guns(mossberg tactical 12ga, .458 SOCOM and a glock 30).

But the other 10 guns in my arsenal all have their purpose from my .204 ruger (varmits) to my .416 rigby (cape buffalo).

Why?
I rented both at the range and put 50 rounds though each. I prefer the feel of the XD and had similar groupings.
I guess if the grip angle of the Glock doesn't feel right to you, you might want to go with the XD, but that would be the only reason. Glocks are, in my opinion, the highest quality production handguns on the market (I say "production" because there are several custom gun makers that are a lot better...and a lot more expensive). If you are getting a handgun for protection, the only thing that matters is that it goes "bang" when your life is on the line...and I would trust my Glock with my life. I can't say the same about Springfield's knockoff of the Glock design. Springfield does make some high quality 1911 clones, but they are a relative newcomer to the polymer framed pistols.

I guess if the grip angle of the Glock doesn't feel right to you, you might want to go with the XD, but that would be the only reason. Glocks are, in my opinion, the highest quality production handguns on the market (I say "production" because there are several custom gun makers that are a lot better...and a lot more expensive). If you are getting a handgun for protection, the only thing that matters is that it goes "bang" when your life is on the line...
:plusone:

If someone tells me they have 40+ guns I don't necessarily categorize them as nuts, but they are working their way onto that list.

I've known folks who had a bushel of guns. The problem I saw was that they would not know how to operate a good share of them. Not that I was quizzing but I'd ask the caliber or how to lock the slide or something and it would take them a minute or two to remember.

For the golfers, it would be like seeing a guy with 25 clubs in his bag - you know he can't hit any of them very well.

So anyway, I don't plan to diversify much with my firearms. For example, I'll probably buy another handgun but it will be Glock .40 caliber like my first. Maybe it will be a different frame size but that will be it. Pick one instrument and master it, I figure.

I guess if the grip angle of the Glock doesn't feel right to you, you might want to go with the XD, but that would be the only reason. Glocks are, in my opinion, the highest quality production handguns on the market (I say "production" because there are several custom gun makers that are a lot better...and a lot more expensive). If you are getting a handgun for protection, the only thing that matters is that it goes "bang" when your life is on the line...
That's about what I expected. A good friend of mine is also a big Glock fanboy and says much the same. I'm not persuaded.

If I'm getting a handgun for protection, the only thing that matters is that it allows me to apply lethal force to a person who is a threat to me. If just going 'bang' was sufficient, I'd have firecrackers in my nightstand. The weapon that allows me to hit the target most easily is the best weapon for me (which is why, of course, the 12 gauge with 18" barrel is the home defense first choice).

I could certainly hit the targets with the Glock, and I'm sure that I could train enough to use it effectively, but it didn't feel 'right'. For those old enough to remember the book "Shane", the gunfighter tells the kid not to aim the gun, but simply act like you're pointing your finger at the target, and it will naturally aim. That's where I want to be. The more it feels like my Ruger .22, the happier I am.

The reports I see suggest that the jam/failure rates for all brand name production semi-autos today are about the same, and are highly dependent on the ammuniction used. The quality of all is quite good.

It appears that this is a discussion that's being had all over the net, and it won't ever get settled because its personal preference. If that's the right gun for you, great. I appreciate the input.

For those old enough to remember the book "Shane", the gunfighter tells the kid not to aim the gun, but simply act like you're pointing your finger at the target, and it will naturally aim. That's where I want to be. The more it feels like my Ruger .22, the happier I am.
That's exactly why I like my Glock. When I point my hand in a natural, comfortable position at a target, the Glock is right on the money. With my 1911, CZ, S&W revolver, etc., I have to change my wrist angle to something that isn't as natural, so it takes me longer to acquire the target. But like I said, not everybody's wrist is the same, so some people don't like the Glock grip angle.

You can believe whatever you want, but I have experienced jams, misfires, or other failures that I definitely would not want happening in an emergency in every other one of my guns except the Glock. That thing has fired every time I pulled the trigger.

That's about what I expected. A good friend of mine is also a big Glock fanboy and says much the same. I'm not persuaded.
If I'm getting a handgun for protection, the only thing that matters is that it allows me to apply lethal force to a person who is a threat to me. If just going 'bang' was sufficient, I'd have firecrackers in my nightstand. The weapon that allows me to hit the target most easily is the best weapon for me (which is why, of course, the 12 gauge with 18" barrel is the home defense first choice).

I could certainly hit the targets with the Glock, and I'm sure that I could train enough to use it effectively, but it didn't feel 'right'. For those old enough to remember the book "Shane", the gunfighter tells the kid not to aim the gun, but simply act like you're pointing your finger at the target, and it will naturally aim. That's where I want to be. The more it feels like my Ruger .22, the happier I am.

The reports I see suggest that the jam/failure rates for all brand name production semi-autos today are about the same, and are highly dependent on the ammuniction used. The quality of all is quite good.

It appears that this is a discussion that's being had all over the net, and it won't ever get settled because its personal preference. If that's the right gun for you, great. I appreciate the input.
Allowing one to "apply lethal force" is what he meant by "going bang."

I try to present a strong, factual argument for Glock and maybe we Glock lovers could eventually talk you into one. But then you would be less likely to practice with it, carry it and productively use it. So if you are comfortable with a different make, model or caliber - go with that.

More than anything, I am just happy to hear you are taking responsibility for your own defense. Too many people count on cops and / or security companies. But "when seconds mean life or death, help is just minutes away."

The only thing I disagree with in your post is: "of course, 12 gauge ... is the home defense first choice." Most avid gun owners I know choose to defend their home with the handgun they carry every day and shoot regularly.

Unless you were simply voicing your opinion, which you are entitled to.

But like I said, I appreciate your personal responsibility.

I recently sold my Glock 23. I had bought a Glock 20 (10mm) previously. I shot a deer with that 10mm last fall.

So this spring, I bought a 10mm-to-40cal conversion barrel for my Glock 20 which allowed me to sell the Glock 23 and purchase a Remington 11-87 (semi-automatic, 12 gauge).

I still have my Glock 34 (9mm) for target shooting.

My only firearm is a 30-06 rifle given to me by my grandfather who had purchased it when he was younger than I am now. It's dropped a nice sized buck in each of the last 3 hunting attempts I've made since 2004. I'm not sure exactly how many rounds I have for it, as it sits in a gun safe at my parents house (they live in the mountains and I don't have much use for a hunting rilfe in the city), but I'm sure I have a couple of boxes and the equipment to reload a few boxes more.
I have since added a 12-guage shotgun and a Beretta PX4 9mm handgun. Now to buy a safe for all of them...

.22 marlin rifle (I used last night to shoot at some varmints)

.223 S&W MP-15

20 ga Remington (40 yrs old)

.380 S&W bodyguard

9mm Ruger LC9

I had a nickel plated 357 Rossi I kept at work to take care of the really bad clients, but it was stolen by some local crackheads.

Im looking really hard at getting a 1911 the next time I have some loose change lying around. I really like the Para Ordnance.

I've heard a lot of good things about the 1911. Almost anyone selling/trading on Armslist lists that as one of the weapons they're willing to trade for...

Currently own 1 handgun, and only about 300 rounds at the time.

Springfield Armory SD-40 Subcompact, 40 S&W caliber

Back