Gun poll

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many rounds of ammunition do you currently possess?

• none

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • less than 1,000

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 1,001-2,500

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 2,501-5,000

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 5,001-10,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10,001-15,000

• >15,000=enough to hold off a determined force for at least 3 days

• Total voters
M

MetroRAFB

I'm just curious to see how many of my fellow engineers are gun enthusiasts. I max out both categories and am wondering how much of a minority I'm in. :burgerking: :17:

I just have a .40 cal Glock, 12GA scatter gun, Remington .270, S&W 30-30, 4-10 scatter gun, and some pellet guns. I didn't count the little ones though.

I don't have much ammo, but I just started buying a box of .40 hollow points everytime I go to wal-mart.

Can't ever have too many guns or too much ammo in my opinion.

.22 rifle

35 marlin (my hunting rifle since I was a kid)

12 ga shotgun

9 mm pistol

357 magmum (sort of overkill,but dont want to part with it)

also have a replica 1863 enflied musket .58 cal

my list is standard southern issue to any 13 year old.

.22 rifle35 marlin (my hunting rifle since I was a kid)

12 ga shotgun

9 mm pistol

357 magmum (sort of overkill,but dont want to part with it)

also have a replica 1863 enflied musket .58 cal

my list is standard southern issue to any 13 year old.

You got that right! Sometime when I've got more typing time I'll post my list. I guess it all comes down to perspective. Many here would probably think that I have more guns than any ordinary human should, but I swear I've got at least 8 friends that have 5 times more than I've got. It's definitely my hobby/passion. I could spend $50K TOMORROW on new guns that are on my wish list. Not collector type stuff either just brand new guns that are on my mental want list.

The good thing about having firearms as a hobby is that if you buy quality stuff you'll almost always be able to sell them for pretty close to what you paid for them. It's sort of an investment in that regard, although you probably won't make any money buying and selling them, you'll just be able to break even and have a lot of fun with them.

I enjoy shooting but I havent shot most of mine in a while. But last thanksgiving I had the luxury of helping rid my wifes grandparents farm of some coyotes that were feasting on their calfs, that 35 marlin without a scope is one of the best rifles I have ever shot.

five 12 gauge shotguns (Two are "family" guns)

one 28 gauge shotguns

two 30-06 rifles

one .22 rifle

four revolvers (.22, two .38s, .357)

The next question should be "How many of us have a "carry permit"

Freon

Wow, I know like 2 people who hunt. Other than that, I don't even know anyone who owns a gun. Either there's a bunch of gun buffs here or I just don't hang out with the shoot 'em up crowd.

As of right now VT you're in a big enough majority to win the White House in a landslide. 62% of resonders thus far (8 of 13) own zero firearms, a statistic that I find mildly alarming. 13 people isn't much of a sample size but I don't think I can even name 8 people that I know that don't own at least one. That's why I posted the poll though, sometimes it's easy to think that everybody sees things the same way you do.

Keep those responses coming!

Grew up with .22 single shot, .410, 12, and 20 gauge shotguns. Mostly rabbits, squirrels, pheasant, turkey, quail.

Never got into deer hunting, and didn't have much use for them after graduated high school. I sold them all a few years ago. Just not into hunting, and the wife doesn't like fire arms in the house - so I could care less, at least they are getting used by someone now.

To each his own. I'm a big self-defense, second ammendment kind of guy, but I recognize that not everyone feels the way I do.

I've got an uncle who's been divorced twice and doesn't have any kids who I think summed up the gun issue pretty well. Three summers ago, a couple of dozen hurricanes (it seemed) used the state of FL as their own personal fun park. During this time we were without power for over a week once, and for several days at a time at least twice more during that summer. There were never any shenanigans in my neighborhood, but it is more than a little eerie for the stars to be the brightest thing you see when you go outside at night in an otherwise residential area. My uncle lives by himself and doesn't own a firearm, but after the lights went out and stayed out for a day or two he had a gut "need" for some kind of a weapon. He said he felt very vulnerable without one, and he's never even fired a handgun before.

I suspect many people would feel the same way if they were ever put in that kind of a situation. I'm certainly not an anti-government person or a conspiracy theorist, but we really do live on a pretty fine edge between decent society with rules and enforcement and "every man for himself". I sleep better at night knowing that I've got firearms safely locked away in the house.

:eyebrows:

I used to collect, trade, etc. Now, I'm married.

I'm in the 11-15 cat with somewhere around 5k rounds maybe more.

Shotguns: 410, 20, and 3-12ga

Rifles: 2-22's, 30-30, 223, 270, 30-06

Pistols: 22, 9, and 40

Had a carry permit, but let it expire. They are almost worthless in GA. But, I'll renew it soon.

SapperPE said:
The property book, oh that just gets better. Lots and lots of very lethal items.

I'm jealous. :eyebrows:

I've got a good friend who's in the process now of getting his Class III automatic weapon's licence. He has plans to buy a military surpluss M-60 machine gun as soon as the paperwork goes through. They're much less expensive than I thought they would be, very affordable actually.

SapperPE said:
HOWEVER, when you are talking about property book items, that is another story altogether. Issued to me personally, I carry an M4 with Aim Point / PEQ2A / Surefire, blackhawk single point sling and 7 - 30 round mags of 5.56. I also have a bandolier for another 6 - 30 round mags that I load up when I leave the wire. In addition to the M4, I cary a standard issue M9 with 4 - 15 round mags of 9mm, and I have a four mag pouch on my IBA for more ammo when I leave the wire. I also reserve the right for a standard shotgun whenever I go on missions.
The property book, oh that just gets better. Lots and lots of very lethal items.
I was kind of aroused by this. Yall?

I'm jealous. :eyebrows:
I've got a good friend who's in the process now of getting his Class III automatic weapon's licence. He has plans to buy a military surpluss M-60 machine gun as soon as the paperwork goes through. They're much less expensive than I thought they would be, very affordable actually.

$20-30k right? Still, I'd love to have one!

Last edited by a moderator:
$20-30k right? Still, I'd love to have one!

Nope, that's what I guessed too but you can own a fully automatic M-60 of your very own for a triffling $6,500-$7,500, depending on where you get it. Feeding the damn thing would cost you an arm and a leg though.

Back