Goswami Errata?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like it too please if you get a chance. Thanks!

anhumphrey <at> gmail <dot> com

Update on Goswami Errata. Overall this is a very good companion to the CERM 12th. It just has a lot of errors, which I find funny being the author has initials Ph.D. and P.E. after his name. We all are human and prone to mistakes, but between this text and Ruwan's messy books (Ruwan is another with multiple initials following his name), it gets frustrating sometimes. Anyway here are additional errors I found in Goswami during study (beyond what is shared in the Nov, 2010 Errata)

Water Resources & Environmental

• Page 515; For Area B, Flow Area = Flow Area B (instead of Flow Area A)

Earthwoks

• Page 444-445; I believe Goswami's description of earthwork transport per the Mass Haul diagram is backwards. Read the last paragraph carefully and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Geotechnical - Shallow Foundations

• Page 348; Table 206.1 - Terzaghi's Bearing Capacity Factors. Some of the numbers are inconsistent with the same Table shown in CERM 12th Ed. I believe some of Goswami's numbers are wrong. You'll need to compare the two tables to understand.
  • Page 364; Eqn. 206.41 is wrong. The units are dimensionally wrong. Need to add an L multiplier to the demonimator of each.

Engineering Economics

• Page 796; Example 501.4 - Nominal daily rate is wrong. Should be 0.0137%, instead of 0.0164%
  • Page 801; Example 501.11 - EUAC of all costs (Option A) should be = 9.33 + 0.02x (instead of 9.9096 + 0.02x) implies x = 334 units (instead of 391.96).

I'm sure there are A LOT more errors between what I show and already given in published Errata, but we'll keep plowing ahead. We're all in this together.

thanks,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jason,

Thanks for pointing these additional errata out, greatly appreciated!

I'm still in need of the errata that has been circulated here recently, so if anyone has this and could forward it to me (at the email in my above post), I would also very much appreciate this :)

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks.

This only makes my point - how many versions of Errata are there, or will there be, for some of these texts? How about these paper engineer author's with multiple initials after their names fix their books before selling them for a mint?

Jason

Thanks ptatohed & Jason for your help :)

I agree that the quality control on these references could be improved, though it's huge amount of material to proof so it's understandable that errata will arise.

According to Amazon (where I purchased the Goswami book) a second edition of the is being published this summer, which I thought about purchasing as I'm taking the exam in October. Ultimately however I opted to go with this version as

- there's a publish date noted, but these things have a habit of getting pushed back for various reasons, and I didn't want this to hold up my study program

- it's likely that the 2nd edition will have errors (whether as many as the first is anyone's guess, though I'd hope not!) and it will also take time (yours / mine / others) to discover them...

- the first edition has been out for a while, and a bulk (though probably not all) of the errors have been discovered (corrected in later press runs / errata / board posts, etc.)

I'm probably hacking up this quotation/maxim, but it's better to reckon with the devil you know than the devil you don't know.

FYI, Here is the errata/suggestions I found while studying which I have sent to Goswami.

(sorry about the formatting)

All In One CE PE B&D, 2009, ISBN 978-0-07-150265-8

Page Number Suggested Errata Comments

xx Move Chapter 212 'Earthwork' from Geotechnical to Construction In my humble opinion and per the NCEES exam outline/syllabus

284 Under the 'Consolidation Test' heading, change coil to soil.

286 Please define 'Primary' consolidation. I wasn't exactly sure what Primary consolidation meant

347 In the q ult formulas, what is 'c'? In example 206.1, why is 1.3cNc = 0? Please clarify

390 At the very end of the 'Wall Movement…' heading change the active horizontal stress symbol from sigma-sub-h to sigma-sub-a. To match Fig 208.1

397 In the Example 208.1, please add the actual question (and label the solution) Unless I missed it, there is no actual question in the example problem. Also, the "Solution" is not titled as are all other example questions

398 In the Example 208.2, please add the actual question (and label the solution)

438 In the text body between eqns 212.1 and 212.2, change "Fig. (212.2)" to "Fig. 212.2" (remove the parenthesis)

440 Add "(Swell)" after Bulking Just a suggestion. Also, the word swells is used in the asterisk at the bottom of the page

440 In Table 212.2, I didn't understand why the shrinkage factor of shale was 1.33. Please clarify Even after reading the asterisk, I still didn't understand. (It's probably just me though)

441 About 20% down from the top, change and to any (in the Overhaul definition)

468 In Example 302.2, it seems that there was no need to include the extra step of solving for V and then using the "V, L, D" formula of Table 302.3. The "Q, L, D" formula could have been used I'm suggesting this because the exam is all about time savings

471 At the top of the page, under #2, please define the k and the exponent n in the formula hf=Q^n Maybe I missed it but I couldn't figure out where these variables were defined

490 Please clarify the difference (if at all?) between S and So I thought So = channel slope and S = Energy gradeline slope but S is used in the 303.5, 303.6, etc. equations as the channel bottom slope

518 In the definition for b, change "weir length" to "weir width" In my humble opinion

531/532 In Fig 303.16 and 303.17, add "circular" so the figure title reads "… for concrete circular pipe culverts…" I think these graphs are for circular pipe only, correct? This might help avoid confusion for anyone trying to use these graphs for rectangular culverts

559 In Example 304.6, in the solution, where/how is the "three times" determined? I was confused. (It might just be me though)

559 In Example 304.6, why is storm water being combined with sanitary sewer? This made no sense to me. Storm/rain water (carried in swales, gutters, storm drain pipe, etc.) does not combine with sewage (carried in a sanitary sewer system), or vice versa, correct? Why is rooftop rain water being combined with sewage flow?

568 In Example 305.1, in the solution, please explain the "greater than 500, less than 6000". I was confused. (It's probably just be me though)

605 Please clarify the connection between wastewater treatment (chapter title) and NPDES (first subject heading) I don't see the connection. Wastewater treatment deals with sewage and NPDES deals with stormwater runoff, right?

607 Near the middle of the page, remove (or define) the subscript '5' after 'BOD' Perhaps I missed it but I did not see what the subscript represented

612 Near the middle of the page, change articles to particles

614/615 Be consistent with %R or R% On page 614, %R is used and on page 615, R% is used. I suppose %R might be more appropriate (Percent Removal)

622 Near the bottom, remove the parenthesis around FeCl3

653 After eqn 401.14, please define the "K" (e = 2.8182818 K) Maybe I missed it but I couldn't figure out where the K was defined

655 At the very top, change "… and t = Tbe the…" to "… and t = T to be the…" (add "to")

667 Remove the word "Stopping" before "Sight Distance" in the chapter title In my humble opinion. The chapter covers stopping sight as well as passing sight, etc.

669 Near the bottom, change Engineers to Engineering in reference to the Traffic Engineering Handbook I believe the name of the book is Traffic Engineering Handbook

672 Regarding Example 403.4, why is a crest VC problem (g1 = +4%, g2 = -6%) in the sag VC section? Perhaps consider a sag VC example problem here

672 For the solution of Example 403.4, you get 46 mph (from Table 403.1) as the answer. I get ~52 mph. I think you are using an S = 435 ft and a downgrade of -6%. I am using an S = 435 ft and an upgrade of +4%. I believe the incoming grade (g1) is the grade to use with Table 403.1, right? Per the problem, g1 = +4%. Even if 0% was used, the design speed would be ~51 mph

674 In Table 403.3, change SAG to Sag (several instances)

708 Near middle of page, change "upto" to "up to" (two words)

709 Near the very top, please define SRR I believe SRR = Superelevation Runoff Rate but I don't believe that it is actually defined anywhere

709 In the Example 405.2 solution, in the segment calculation table, change 0.17 to 0.16 (two instances) I believe that the f for segment AB and DE (Speed = 40mph) should be 0.16 (see AASHTO Green Book). This might effect the third column slightly

765 Near the top of the page, just above eqn 410.11, what does "h s" mean?

773 Near middle of page, change "9.2 p/min/ft" to "9.2 ped/min/ft"

777 Very bottom of page, the term "directional type interchange" is used yet never defined Perhaps I missed it but I did not see where directional type was defined

872 Change 'SWPP plan' to 'SWPPP' and change 'storm water' to 'stormwater' (one word) and add "(NOI)" after "notice of intent". I have always heard a Stormwater (one word) Pollution Prevention Plan referred to as a SWPPP. Please see EPA's website for confirmation

873 Include more erosion and sediment control BMPs (gravel bags, fiber roles, hydroseeding, etc.) and define 'Bale Ditch Check'.

887+ As general comment, please beef up the Index. Include every term and variation of that word. As some quick examples: Conflicts, 751; Earthwork, 437; Horizontal Curves, 683; Hydrology, 535, etc., etc. The lean index is really the only negative comment I have ever read about this book. A beefed up index would make this book near perfect. Include all topic headings, include all NCEES syllabus terms, etc., etc. Instead of "lateral earth pressure (active), 392" and "retaining wall with key, 400", etc., I'd suggest "lateral earth pressure, 389" and "retaining walls, 389", and so forth.

I don't really feel like posting email here, and tried to PM ptatohed but he cannot recieve any more messages. Can someone just link the PDF here?

I don't really feel like posting email here, and tried to PM ptatohed but he cannot recieve any more messages. Can someone just link the PDF here?
EIT, sorry about that. I didn't realize we can only store 10 messages. Weak. I deleted some messages and should have room now. But, yeah, if someone can host the PDF, that'd be cool.

I put the October 10, 2011 errata (Thanks to Ptatohed for providing) up on sendspace for anyone who needs it:

/>http://www.sendspace.com/file/o8efnc

(If for some reason this isn't kosher please let me know and I'll remove it)

I put the October 10, 2011 errata (Thanks to Ptatohed for providing) up on sendspace for anyone who needs it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o8efnc

(If for some reason this isn't kosher please let me know and I'll remove it)
Thanks K19. I just sent over a PM to ptatohed as well. I've also linked it here in case that link dies.

/>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18815554/CIVIL-PE-All-In-One-Errata.pdf

Back