Get approved for P.E. exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am confused as to why the approval to sit for the exam is taking so long.  Is it taking you just as long?  Did you ever get an approval?  Do you know if getting approved late will affect the availability of getting a seat in October?  I am worried there will be no seats left at my location. 
Approval can vary by applicant. All depends on if everything is complete when submitted or if it's missing something.  For example, when I applied in NJ, 1 of my references signed the referral electronically and the board didn't really like it. So he had to send in a new form with a inked signature.  Delay could also occur if they have a question about stuff on your transcript that they are trying to verify with the school. 

I had all my paperwork mailed out in mid to late April.  I had a direct supervisor sign my form but never got any notices from NYS.  Did they email you? or mail you a letter?  Hopefully they approve us soon.
They emailed me from the same email you were talking about ( [email protected])

i am not sure if they suppose to send you the day they started the preliminary review or not . 

I believe the only reason they contacted me is because they needed the letter which I suppose to send it to them from the beginning beside the application ( i did not know about it ). 

In all cases keep checking your email and it does not hurt if you give them a call to make sure they got everything they may need  to review ur application. 

I really hope we both hear the OK soon 👌 

Approval can vary by applicant. All depends on if everything is complete when submitted or if it's missing something.  For example, when I applied in NJ, 1 of my references signed the referral electronically and the board didn't really like it. So he had to send in a new form with a inked signature.  Delay could also occur if they have a question about stuff on your transcript that they are trying to verify with the school. 
Yeah, I see what you are saying but according to the Nyers who passed April 2018 Pe on this forum, even issuing licenses is taking an strangely long amount of time in NY.

Last edited by a moderator:
After Reviewing some of the comments  on this forum I found myself abit skeptical, because when I described my experiences in the application I was not aware how much it’s important to mention some of the words like design for example .

I really hope it won’t be a reason for them to deny my application. 

Yeah, I see what you are saying but according to the Nyers who passed April 2018 Pe on this forum, even issuing licenses is taking an strangely long amount of time in NY.
That’s true , I even called the NYSED many times before asking :  how long should I expect to hear back & they told me between 4-16 weeks . 

I believe within 1 month we both should have the answer .  

That’s true , I even called the NYSED many times before asking :  how long should I expect to hear back & they told me between 4-16 weeks . 

I believe within 1 month we both should have the answer .  
I don't know what's going on in that office the last few weeks, but they are slow beyond belief.  I have been waiting for them to issue my license since the scores were release to the States on May 24th, but as of 2 minutes ago- nothing. I estimate they still have at least 400 licenses to process since the April 13th test :(

Also, I know that a different NYSED department processes the licenses from that which issues the test approvals, but being a State employee myself (I really hate admitting that) I also know that when one department is 'extremely' behind in its work, other departments are asked to kick in some resources. 

I really do apologize if your approval is being delayed due to our license processing.

Hopefully they get your approval done by the August 30th deadline to register for the October test.   I will add you to our prayers.

I am also facing a deadline of September 15th, at which time I will lose out of the Stipend my organization pays to anyone holding a PE - unless I can show proof of actually being licensed (such as being entered in the online license database for professionals).

I don't know what's going on in that office the last few weeks, but they are slow beyond belief.  I have been waiting for them to issue my license since the scores were release to the States on May 24th, but as of 2 minutes ago- nothing. I estimate they still have at least 400 licenses to process since the April 13th test :(
Wow ! 

I hope they are not the same team who reviews the applications for the PE exam ! 

I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted if you hear anything from them ! 

Wow ! 

I hope they are not the same team who reviews the applications for the PE exam ! 

I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted if you hear anything from them ! 
Will do.

However you need to know they are all State workers.  Promotions rarely go to anyone who is NOT the most senior in a group/team (unless that person has been 'Black Listed' because they spoke up too much), the most senior jobs are filled by 'political appointees', and they only get fired if they bring a weapon to work, they fail to show up for work beyond two straight days without permission, or if the are convicted of a Felony and their department head finds out about it (AND unless they have a role that requires a periodic background check (very few do), or they have insufficient vacation/sick days available to serve any sentenced time, they can actually avoid that information getting to management).  Therefore, you can guess what sort of work-ethic that breeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back